Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HAP 125gr (.356) load question

DaveInHawaii

Hi,

I want to load up some of the HAP 125 in 9mm.  Published load data is hard to find.  Hodgdon data is very conservative and seem to be concerned about pressure.  http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol 

They list Titegroup starting load at 2.8 and a max load of 3.2 (33,700 PSI) with a COL of 1.069.  It's the same for HP38 but they give a max load of 3.3 with HP38.

For you guys that load the HAP 125's have you seen anything weird happen with the pressure?

Personally, I'd like to try these with Silhouette powder and I'm interested in using the load data they list for the 124 XTP which is:  Starting load 4.6 to 5.4 max with a COL of 1.060.  I would load it longer if it chambers.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are?

Thanks,
Dave

The older Hornady reloading guides list the XTP and HAP together and show the same loads for both.

are you loading these minor or major power factory ?  or just loading for practice/ self/home defense etc?

Neil

Edited by jcc7x7

BASICALLY you can use any 124/125 gr jacketed load in the mid range of the loading charts and get good accuracy and functioning.

Generally speaking the starting charge weight is what will reliably function most guns slides

I have loaded some of the 125 HAP's with Shooters World Clean Shot, 4.2 grs. with a 1.135 OAL. Those are in the 1050 to 1100 FPS range out of two of my G34's and a Single Stack 1911.

If you don't have any Clean Shot try some Tite-Group or N320 at the same 4.2 grs. and go chrono them.

Pressure is going to spike with such a short OAL. Regardless of the powder you settle on using, you might consider loading longer than what the manuals list.

I try to load as long as the mags/barrel chamber/case neck tension will allow, to keep the initial pressure spike as low as possible.  

Unless you're loading for a very short freebore like some CZ's, you should be able to load a lot longer than 1.069".

Cool, it's all good fellows.    

Here's the back story...a while back I called Hodgdon to ask why their powder charges were so low for the HAP bullets.  The tech support guy said that they found a difference in the thickness in the jacket between the two bullets and thus the pressure issues with HAP.  That seemed odd because I thought they were the same design.  So, I called Hornady and the guy I spoke to said he thought the jackets were the same but he didn't want to go into any details on load recommendations.  Who knows?  Hodgdon definitely feels there's an issue and I figured you guys probably deal with the HAP bullets more than anybody else.

I wanted to keep my initial posts simple to not complicate things.  

I'll load some up, start low and bring my chronograph.  Thanks for the help.

Dave