Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you really need to trim 223 brass for ar15?

nikdanja

I think everyone is in agreement that the biggest pain in the ass is trimming brass. 

I'm just making 223 plinking loads for my ar and wondering if the case length really is all THAT critical when loading 55gr fmjs?

I lock my calipers at 1.76" and have my minions check sized brass to see if it passes through. They throw anything shorter into one bucket and anything longer into another. I only trim maybe 30% of my hosing brass this way. It makes no difference on a piece of cardboard at 40 yards. Obviously my long range match loads receive much more attention.

Edited by TonytheTiger

I trim it all if needed or not.
It's a process that if I'm going to have to measure it I might as well put it in the brass feeder deprime , full length resize and trim it to 1.752".
Right or wrong don't matter as I'll have all trimmed brass. I do thousand at a time and lasts awhile.
I don't crimp but check neck tension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Scott Steele said:

I trim it all if needed or not.
It's a process that if I'm going to have to measure it I might as well..

I used to do that. Then I realized how useful it is that my kids like to help me load ammo. It really streamlines my process when they take care of the tedious little jobs while I run the press handle.

I used to do that. Then I realized how useful it is that my kids like to help me load ammo. It really streamlines my process when they take care of the tedious little jobs while I run the press handle.

If I had kids I'd probably do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk