Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Acsr

Customized trubor

Recommended Posts

With an rts2, offset doesn't make a difference. The mount ends above the rear of the barrel. No extraction issues. I had 2 of  the cheely mounts and switched to Everglades. The difference is not a lot, but it it centered. OCD sucks. 

pix120395019.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BeerBaron said:

yes, the offset is to allow more ejection clearance (mainly an issue on the 9mms not sure much for the 38 supers). 

I was leary of having the mount offset (did not want to induce windage bore convergence issue - like you have with height over bore). For that reason if I was buying an RTS2 mount I probably would have avoided it (thought i've previously has great success with a variety of cheely mounts). HOWEVER, i recently got a new gun which came with RTS2 on cheely mount and I have to say the offset is a non issue. It's really not noticeable (you have to look very closely to even spot that it's offset) and certainly not an issue when shooting. It's the tiniest amount of offset. I would happily use and recommend the cheely RTS2 mount. 

agreed! The offset on the RTS2 mount is nothing like it is on a traditional upright cheely mount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, echotango said:

With an rts2, offset doesn't make a difference. The mount ends above the rear of the barrel. No extraction issues. I had 2 of  the cheely mounts and switched to Everglades. The difference is not a lot, but it it centered. OCD sucks. 

pix120395019.jpg

That is a sweet rig echotango!! Matt still builds awesome stuff.

Good point about length of the mount. So perhaps the cheely offset is not about ejection clearance but more for the reasons Sarge listed?

I'm a 'little' OCD too, and I fully  intended to change mounts but the offset hasn't bothered me so far at all. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BeerBaron said:

That is a sweet rig echotango!! Matt still builds awesome stuff.

Good point about length of the mount. So perhaps the cheely offset is not about ejection clearance but more for the reasons Sarge listed?

I'm a 'little' OCD too, and I fully  intended to change mounts but the offset hasn't bothered me so far at all. :)

Yeah, RTS2 won't come near causing ejection issues. Both of these mounts also have a 1 degree down angle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is for sale if interested. 

Matt C. Said he built it that way as it was easier to machine and didn't want the extra ledge on the left side to center it. Cleaner look.  The offset is minimal and it is an awesome mount. Both are very similar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, echotango said:

I prefer 6. I have had 8's and have returned to a 6. Personal preference.

Good question because I ran 6 in sliderides but could only get an 8 when I ordered my RTS2. The 8 doesn't look any bigger than my SR 6's. Certainly doesn't look as big as the SR 8 did. Could there be a difference in the design that makes dots appear smaller?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the rts2 dot is smaller when compared to a sr in the same size. The 6 RTS is a small dot. I don't have a sr to compare. Will try and compare this weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Which RTS2 dot size is better for normal USPSA matches?

Trying to decide between the 6 or 8...

I would get the 8. I usually run a 6 or 8 moa slideride. My RTS2 is an 8 and I would say it's about comparable to a 6 MOA slideride. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do those of you with an RTS2 on your Trubor still feel that it's worthwhile to add a slide racker?

Seems like the only benefit would be propping up the gun on a table start...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Do those of you with an RTS2 on your Trubor still feel that it's worthwhile to add a slide racker?

Seems like the only benefit would be propping up the gun on a table start...

huh...?

 I would likely use the racker to rack the slide as needed.

If you are referring to the fact that the more compact sight/mount allows you to get to the rear of the slide as needed, then you are correct. But a racker is still substantially faster and more idiot-resistant when you find yourself with 10 thumbs in the midst of a stage and a gun not going bang when you intend it to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always heard why would you need a racker if your gun runs.  I was a bit hesitant,  but am glad I did get one installed.  I don't have a compact sight,but do enjoy the installed racker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a zig racker on 3 open guns with an RTS2.  As stated above, if you happen to have an issue during a stage, it is priceless.  Also it works great for table starts. 

Edited by echotango

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With rackers like the brazos with ball detents installed there s no reason to not have a racker. I also have zig rackers on 3 of my open guns. 1 long, 2 normal. 

In in the middle of a stage when you suddenly have to un-f$&k your sh1t the racker is worth having. And it's awesome on table starts. The long one just about stands the gun up!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, wgj3 said:

If you are referring to the fact that the more compact sight/mount allows you to get to the rear of the slide as needed, then you are correct. But a racker is still substantially faster and more idiot-resistant when you find yourself with 10 thumbs in the midst of a stage and a gun not going bang when you intend it to.

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking...  I've shot Production and Limited for years without a slide racker and am used to just racking the slide with my left hand if there is a problem...  and I don't want to add more weight to my already heavy Tribor slide if I can help it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

With rackers like the brazos with ball detents installed there s no reason to not have a racker. I also have zig rackers on 3 of my open guns. 1 long, 2 normal. 

In in the middle of a stage when you suddenly have to un-f$&k your sh1t the racker is worth having. And it's awesome on table starts. The long one just about stands the gun up!!

Good points, Baron...

I ordered one of Brazos' short zig rackers...  I'm going to try shooting without the racker, but I'll have one in case I want to put it on...  Part of the issue is finding someone that I trust to mill the slide for the racker...  :-/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2017 at 7:23 PM, echotango said:

With an rts2, offset doesn't make a difference. The mount ends above the rear of the barrel. No extraction issues. I had 2 of  the cheely mounts and switched to Everglades. The difference is not a lot, but it it centered. OCD sucks. 

pix120395019.jpg

Beautiful gun! What magwell is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In an industry where so much has been done and so many builders guns start to look the same matts stuff does stand out as unique/innovative. He certainly earns the 'i' in M2i.

given he has been shooting open since it really took off and is a former world champion (against guys like tgo, enos, etc) it's no surprise he knows how to build beautiful open 2011s. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2017 at 10:53 PM, sethl said:

.Gans trubor 2 resize.jpg

Gans lightened slide and 2 popples . In my opinion the popples made the gun shoot flatter, I lost around 40fps with them. Cant say enough good about Gans, Im interested in how you like you evo grip when you get it.

I like how your Trubor turned out...  Did you have to have the complete slide re-blued after the lightening cuts, or did you just touch it up with some Perma Blue...  It looks good...

How long did it take Gans to do the slidework?  Did you just sent him the slide and barrel?

No slide racker...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14 January 2017 at 8:00 PM, RaylanGivens said:

Good points, Baron...

I ordered one of Brazos' short zig rackers...  I'm going to try shooting without the racker, but I'll have one in case I want to put it on...  Part of the issue is finding someone that I trust to mill the slide for the racker...  :-/

The bravos racker is not hard to fit. it comes with excellent instructions. I posted a thread on this in the gunsmithing forum here when I bought my first zigracker. I doubted the accuracy of the instructions and Bob from brazos kindly set me straight. I ended up using a regular 360X60 dovetail cutter and walking it over till I got the right width but it would be easier to use the 375X60 cutter they recommend. I was just too stingy to buy another cutter since I already had the 360X60 (normal bomar type dovetail). The racker is twice the price of others but they put a lot of work into it and the installation is much easier with the brazos than others. you easily save that extra $ back on the ease of install. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I like how your Trubor turned out...  Did you have to have the complete slide re-blued after the lightening cuts, or did you just touch it up with some Perma Blue...  It looks good...

How long did it take Gans to do the slidework?  Did you just sent him the slide and barrel?

No slide racker...

I asked Gans about a racker when we were talking about slide cuts. He said there wasn't enough metal left to safely mount a racker, I didn't argue. He re-blued the slide while he had it. I cannot say enough good about Gans, he was wonderful to work with and his turn around time was amazing. I mailed the slide and barrel to him on monday morning, it got to him on wednesday. It showed up back on my door step on saturday, I put the gun back together and was testing loads on sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...