Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Once fired brass? Whos been around the longest without problems?

taymag

Finally went through my last 3000 while slowlyyyy losing a little at a time. I believe I used Elite but when I search there really isn't any info. I guess there's no way to "know" its once fired but I assume there is a go-to?

I am a doubter when told that brass is "once fired" -

BUT, even though I load 9mm Major, I really don't care.

I just inspect the brass, and if it looks "okay", I load it

(except for crimped brass).    :) 

I get all my brass from a local who picks up tons of brass

every weekend, sorts and cleans it, and sells it inexpensively,

and ready to load.    :bow:

Just now, Hi-Power Jack said:

I am a doubter when told that brass is "once fired" -

BUT, even though I load 9mm Major, I really don't care.

I just inspect the brass, and if it looks "okay", I load it

(except for crimped brass).    :) 

I get all my brass from a local who picks up tons of brass

every weekend, sorts and cleans it, and sells it inexpensively,

and ready to load.    :bow:

I assume almost anyone online buys from a range and I know I miss at least 10-20% of my brass pickup if I go to test something at the range so once fired is "once fired". BUT I will say I rarely see reloads at the range, so I assume you get 90% once fired at least

I figured anyone thats been around a while would have been called out if they were selling crap so I figured I would ask.

4 minutes ago, taymag said:

anyone thats been around a while would have been called out if they were selling crap 

I'm not sure that "twice" or "thrice"? fired is "crap" :) 

I fire my 9mm major brass over and over - and it always looks the same.

Definitely, not "crap".

Just now, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'm not sure that "twice" or "thrice"? fired is "crap" :) 

I fire my 9mm major brass over and over - and it always looks the same.

Definitely, not "crap".

I don't mean twice or three times, I honestly dont know what "crap" was supposed to mean lol, I have brass fired WELL beyond 2, 3, 4 times.

I just figure if I am going to buy brass I would rather it be from a place people recommend

I tracked brass for a while for my .40 S&W and made it to ten reloads and the 100 that started in the brass management program was down to 65 due to lost brass.  All fired in a glock 23 at about 80% of max load with a stock glock barrel.  I never had one split at the lip or bulged case.  I finally lost interest and concluded that the life of typical brass is based on your ability to find or retrieve after shooting.  I have no doubt I have 9mm and 40 brass that has be loaded close to twenty times.  I see no extra value in once fired brass.  

24 minutes ago, Rustygun said:

I tracked brass for a while for my .40 S&W and made it to ten reloads and the 100 that started in the brass management program was down to 65 due to lost brass.  All fired in a glock 23 at about 80% of max load with a stock glock barrel.  I never had one split at the lip or bulged case.  I finally lost interest and concluded that the life of typical brass is based on your ability to find or retrieve after shooting.  I have no doubt I have 9mm and 40 brass that has be loaded close to twenty times.  I see no extra value in once fired brass.  

I agree. Unless the primer pocket is loose, or the case mouth splits, load it. I have 38 super brass that I know has been loaded at least 20 times to major, and it is still being loaded.

• 3 weeks later...

So you guys don't worry about range scavenged .40S&W brass after a match?

I've loaded a bunch of range pick up 9mm minor brass with no problems.  I'm getting in to shooting 40 in limited, and just want to make sure major loaded 40 brass will be OK to pick up and load.

Anything special you guys do?

I look at the majority of 9 major that I load if it's split, dented or I don't like the look/brand of it I toss it. Once upon a time I considered separating "once fired" from the pile but realized not worth the effort to me. Between looking and processing I get 99.99% of the junk out before I actually load it. 

IF you want a guarantee, buy virgin or factory rounds.

I just pick up range brass and inspect.

Once upon a time, all factory rounds used brass primers (even the nickel-plated cases always seemed to have brass primers) and all primers used for reloading that I ever saw were nickel-plated. If you picked up a case with a nickel-plated primer, it was almost certainly a reload.