Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for some barrel advice...

TK66

Hi Guys,

Im doing my first decent quality 2011 build (CK Frame, Brazos Lightning Slide) and I'm looking for some advice on a barrel.  I've used drop in barrels in cheap builds that were loose and not very accurate.  I see some barrels come with the lower lugs cut and link already installed.  How can they fit the lower lugs and link without ever having it installed first?  I'm leaning towards a gunsmith fit barrel and buying a few tools to install it correctly..  

Any recommendations from an experienced builder would be appreciated.

Thanks, TK

I've used Kart, Briley, STI and Storm Lake barrels.  All are are very good, the STI bore (6in 0.40) was slightly disappointing (chatter marks) but still shoots well.

Drop in barrels are Las Vegas odds. 

Chris at Blindhogg has a very good barrel install instructions on his website.  Go slow when removing metal, prussian blue or a sharpie marker can be used to show engagement or clearance.  Usual barrel link is a #3, the hole center dims are around 0.287" but don't quote me.  Don't be afraid to elongate the barrel link slide stop hole so the slide stop pin rides on the barrel lower legs (usually doesn't take much).  A set of swiss files (jewelers), sandpaper (including crocus cloth), dremel with sanding rolls and cratex, barrel lug file.

My pref is a tight fit needing moose load break in rounds, use cold blue to show the wear or binding areas.  A well fit barrel will have a softer sound when cycled.

Best of luck, much satisfaction doing your own work.

http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/barrel.htmle)

I've had very good luck with Kart EZ-Fit and BarSto SemiFit barrels.  Ed Brown "drop in" barrels are a joke.  You have to take as much off them as a gunsmith fit barrel.

There is no problem with finished lower lugs, as long as your frame is in spec.  On the Kart EZ-Fit I did not have to touch the lower lugs.  I only had to fit the hood and file down the upper lug blocks to get the correct engagement.  On the BarSto SemiFit, I had to trim the hood sides and length and I had to reradius the ramp up to the lower lugs for smooth operation.  Fortunately, both frames were in spec and I did not have to change the supplied #3 link.  I used a .200" slide stop in both instances.

Hello: Some of the barrels will take more fitting than others. Barsto is one that takes a lot of fitting. Good barrel just takes a long time to fit correctly. Kart, Schuemann, and STI are good barrels as well as SVI. Pick one and fit it correctly and it will be a great shooter with the right load. Thanks, Eric

Thanks ZZT!  I hadn't planned on on a bull barrel.  I was looking around at online stores with no luck.  I'll call and see if I can buy direct.  I didn't see their website but I did see their FB site that had their phone number. 

5 hours ago, JoeC said:

FWIW, the only barrels I use are Kart Precision. To me consistency is the name of the game. Kart has proven to be the best in my experience.

Thanks for the reply.  I've decided to go with the Kart Xact fit.  My slide should be here tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to this build!

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished up installing the barrel.  KART was easy to deal with.  I ordered it direct and got a 20% discount! Fitting was pretty straight forward, the hardest part was fitting the O.D of the bushing.  

Thanks for the help!

TK

Edited by TK66
correction

• 3 weeks later...