Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 area 7 in MA???

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On January 2, 2017 at 2:50 PM, mccurdy53 said:

Harvard Sportsman's Club stepped up and volunteered to hold the USPSA Area 7 Match in 2017.  It is a great club with more than adequate facilities.  USPSA offers enough divisions for everyone to shoot.  All of you know how difficult it is to host a match of this magnitude and finding a club willing to host it. The laws of the host state suck, but everyone that wants to shoot will find a way.  Don't presume to tell us in New England to host the match somewhere else.  I thank Harvard Sportsman' Club for hosting this match and will do everything in my power to see that it is a great match.

Find a way to shoot the match or don't, all of your bellyaching won't change anything.  The match will fill up in a couple of hours with or without you.

Very well put. I will be there as I am helping run the match. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2017 at 8:13 AM, MAShooter said:

MA is not a full ban state and 3.3.1 will not be in effect. Local level 1 matches occur every weekend with out issue, and plenty of non-residents attend, just as they have for the Area match in past years it was in MA.

"You're breaking the law but didn't et caught" really isn't the point. 

We are pleased to announce registration plans for the 2017 USPSA Area 7 Championship.

Match Website: http://www.harvardactionshooters.com/ipsc/area7_2017.html

The match is being hosted by the Harvard Sportsmen's Club in Harvard, MA, on September 8-10, 2017. With help from many clubs throughout the Area, we plan to have 10 stages plus chronograph. Final round count will be in the neighborhood of 270. Final round count TBA.

Match Details:
----------------
When:        September 8th, 9th, and 10th
Match Fee:   $175.00 USD
Staff Shoot: Friday

Plaques awarded only for placement. (depending on number of shooters in div/class)

This will be a level III USPSA match with the following divisions: Open, Limited, Limited 10, Production, Revolver, Single Stack, and Carry Optics. We can not accommodate PCC this year.

----------------
Opens on February 27, 2017 @ 7:00 PM. Registration closes on September 04, 2017 @ 12:00 AM (times are local to America/New York time). Competitors may choose from available slots on either Saturday or Sunday. Friday slots are for staff and sponsored shooters only.

Link for Registration: https://practiscore.com/2017-uspsa-area-7-championship/register

Match Fee:
----------------
Adult: $175
Junior: $85 (Please be sure to select "Junior" in the category listing; otherwise you will be charged the full fee.)

Entry fee includes one lunch for each competitor (sandwich, chips, drink and snack) and a limited-edition, custom Area 7 match tee-shirt in a size of your choosing!

Contacts:
----------------
Match Directors: Betsy Grecoe (email: bgrecoe@gmail.com )
                 Ira Grossman (email: imgman3@gmail.com )

Registration/Stats: Steve Piche (email: spiche1@comcast.net )
Sponsorship:   Brent Carlton (email: bmcarlton@comcast.net )

Resident Area 7 / Non-Resident Policy:
----------------
All interested competitors are eligible to submit an entry when registration opens on February 27th at 7:00 PM EST(A7 Residents & Non-Residents alike). Entries will be approved for Area 7 residents only until March 6th at 7:00 PM EST. After that time, all entries will be approved in order of registration.

Payment Policy:
----------------
After you submit your registration, it will be sent to the match admin for review. Once approved, you will receive an email with a link to pay online and to select a squad. Payment must be made online within 7 days of your registration being approved. If payment is not received within 7 days, your entry will be voided and we will move to the next person on the waiting list.

Cancellation Policy:
----------------
$20 cancellation fee in effect until June 30th, 11:59 PM EST. 
July 1 thru August 15, 11:59 PM EST: 50% refund of match fee. 
No refunds after August 16.

Sponsor Slots:
----------------
If you are using a slot from one of our match sponsors, please be sure to check the box at the bottom of the registration form to avoid confusion.

Inclement Weather Policy:
----------------
In the case of severe weather that causes the match to be cancelled, all incurred expenses will be covered from collected match fees. Partial refunds will then be distributed equally to all competitors from the remaining funds. This policy will only be exercised in extreme circumstances (ex: impending direct hit from a major hurricane...), however all decisions will be made by match management and will be final.

Prize Policy:
----------------
All prizes donated from our sponsors will be awarded by random draw. Small prizes will be placed in your gift bag that will be handed out at registration. If you win a larger prize that is too large to fit in the bag, or something that is restricted (like a firearm), a certificate will be placed in your bag to redeem with match staff. Please be sure to check your bags after check- in!

Hotel Info:
----------------
We have rooms reserved at several local hotels for competitors. Staff rooms will be handled separately.

Westford Regency available for $129/night including breakfast.
Contact the Westford Regency Inn, 219 Littleton Road, Westford, MA 01886.
Tel: 978-692-8200, Fax: 978-850-4927
http://www.westfordregency.com
Ask for "Area 7 - IPO Room Block". A limited number of rooms are available.

Courtyard Boston Littleton for $139/night not including breakfast.
Contact Courtyard Boston Littleton, 102 Constitution Avenue, Littleton, MA 01460.
Tel: 978-440-5040
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/boslt-courtyard-boston-littleton
Ask for Harvard Sportsmen’s Club Area 7 rooms.

Holiday Inn Express available for $129 plus breakfast.
Contact Holiday Inn Express and Suites..Boston/Marlboro, 121 Coolidge Street,
Hudson, MA, near Cabelas.
Tel: 978-562-1001
https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/hudson/boshd/hoteldetail
Ask for the Harvard Sportsmen’s Club Area 7 rooms.

Reservation info will also be included in your registration confirmation email.

Volunteers:
----------------
Current volunteers will be sent a separate email with a link for staff registration. All requests will be checked against our approved volunteer list before being accepted to squad on Friday.

We have a full complement of volunteers at this time and are not accepting any more. We do have a wait-list in case we have people who need to un-volunteer. Please contact Betsy and Ira to be added.

Edited by MAShooter

On 2/7/2017 at 7:20 PM, cas said:

"You're breaking the law but didn't et caught" really isn't the point. 

No one is advocating or encouraging such activity. Those who have the equipment will play in Open and Limited (and now CO), and the rest will play in Lim-10, Prod, SS and Revo.

Is it ideal? No.  But it's better than not having an Area match at all. Unlike other parts of the country where ranges are aplenty and there are lots of clubs able and willing to host such an endevour, we don't have that here in the Northeast. I am grateful the fine folks from Harvard have stepped up to host it.

"Basically MA still lives under the old Federal Assault Weapons ban. So pre-ban magazines are fine. The magic date for the mag is 'on or before 9/13/1994'. Anything manufactured after that date must be 10 rounds or less. This is true for MA residents and non-residents alike."

Does this apply to in and out of state LEOs?   

So basically unless your 44 years old now and had a high capacity competition rig when you were 21 you probably don't have legal equipment to shoot the match.  I bet thats a very small majority of people shooting this match.  I could be very wrong but I'd be surprised.  By the way when was the 2011 introduced to the market?

19 hours ago, Edge40 said:

So basically unless your 44 years old now and had a high capacity competition rig when you were 21 you probably don't have legal equipment to shoot the match.  I bet thats a very small majority of people shooting this match.  I could be very wrong but I'd be surprised.  By the way when was the 2011 introduced to the market?

Not in the year 2011

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:20 PM, Edge40 said:

I think I sold mine used, in 1992, definitely no later than 1994, when I took a ten year pause in shooting USPSA.

Very early 90s, First ones had CMC on grips as Chip had a sales agreement with Tripp and Strayer.  All you could get originally was the frame and one mag, no extra ones available at first.  Remember shooting a couple of matches with only one mag, ok for first one, had to put one shot each on last two targets in the second one.

This thread may be of interest to some of you guys. Specifically beginning at post #117. It has to do with the latest interpretation of the clause regarding non residents (non MA-Non-Res LTC holders) bringing guns into the state for competition. Basically, there has been re-interpretation in the previous few years that (by said interpretation) means no other states' CCP meets the specific requirements of the clause, and thus there is no legal way to possess a gun in the state without a valid MA LTC. Take it for what you will.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/95897-Non-residents-Legal-info-on-bringing-guns-into-Mass-for-competition-or-hunting/page3

I live in NH a half hour from one of the MA USPSA clubs and don't shoot USPSA matches there due to the laws.  The part of the law that causes concern is:

and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs;

Since I can't say for sure that I am legal I don't see any reason to take a risk for just a game.  I'm sure it would take some bad luck to run in to problems, but there are plenty of other things for me to do, so I just skip MA USPSA.

On 1/6/2017 at 9:34 PM, PatriotMRD said:

Sounds like a great place for the state to send some troopers to hang out "check paperwork" or look for "dangerous contraband" to snag up some new felons. You know, just some "random" spot checks.

They will be busy shooting the match with other like minded people :)

On 1/2/2017 at 1:50 PM, mccurdy53 said:

Harvard Sportsman's Club stepped up and volunteered to hold the USPSA Area 7 Match in 2017.  It is a great club with more than adequate facilities.  USPSA offers enough divisions for everyone to shoot.  All of you know how difficult it is to host a match of this magnitude and finding a club willing to host it. The laws of the host state suck, but everyone that wants to shoot will find a way.  Don't presume to tell us in New England to host the match somewhere else.  I thank Harvard Sportsman' Club for hosting this match and will do everything in my power to see that it is a great match.

Find a way to shoot the match or don't, all of your bellyaching won't change anything.  The match will fill up in a couple of hours with or without you.

Yeah, let's keep rewarding the states with strict (and likely soon-to-be unconstitutional) gun laws.  When folks do the wrong thing the right thing to do is reward them, right?

There's a reason I won't buy a Smith & Wesson product.

But go ahead, give the state their participation trophy and thank them for buttf*#king your soul.

2 hours ago, mreed911 said:

But go ahead, give the state their participation trophy and thank them for buttf*#king your soul.

That is so damn funny! Probably get the thread locked but oh well.