Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320, or wait on competition model?

twister

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say don't wait. Having a backup gun will be nice anyway and the magazines should be compatible. Hopefully at Shot learn how long the expected wait for the X5 will be but I don't think it's coming out in Q1. I could be wrong. 

If you are going to use this gun to actually compete with, I would buy something else.  Unless you are willing to wait months and spend over 300 bucks to have the trigger worked on, look elsewhere for a competition gun.  That is if you are serious about competing.   If not, it makes for a fine home defense gun in the full size or a carry gun in the compact sizes.  But don't buy a stock 320 just to compete with.   There are much better choices with much better after market support.  

48 minutes ago, agwoodard said:

If you are going to use this gun to actually compete with, I would buy something else.  Unless you are willing to wait months and spend over 300 bucks to have the trigger worked on, look elsewhere for a competition gun.  That is if you are serious about competing.   If not, it makes for a fine home defense gun in the full size or a carry gun in the compact sizes.  But don't buy a stock 320 just to compete with.   There are much better choices with much better after market support.  

Uh...

Dont throw the baby out with the bathwater here...

Yeah, the 320 is seriously hampered by the lack of trigger options but its still a VERY, VERY shootable gun even with its stock 7.5 lb trigger.

There are sights, basepads, grip tape and magazine releases which means its pretty much good to go for production.

I really do wish someone would get on the ball and release a damned production legal trigger kit.  Gray gun's releases products slower than old people f*#k.

If you are shooting for fun, it's a great gun.  If you want to get out of C or B class, you can do it easier with something else.  Not to say it can't be done, you can pound nails with a pipe wrench, but there are better tools for the job.   

On 1/6/2017 at 7:04 PM, agwoodard said:

I disagree, I bought a 320 Compact and have shot matches with it and did fine.   The so-called 7# trigger seems much lighter because it's such a smooth trigger pull.    I liked it so much I bought a full size to compete with, sent it off to Gray Guns, waited 3 months and got the gun back. It was well worth the wait, the trigger measured about 3#, incredibly smooth. I have a couple of nice custom 2011s, and right now they sit in the safe b/c I would rather shoot my 320.  Oh yeah I almost forgot, they both are more accurate than any Glock I've owned.

I thought that Sig had introduced a p320 Competition model at Shot show last year. It had a longer barrel, adjustable rear sight, and the magwell was beveled. I thought it looked like it would be a nice option for a production gun.

1 hour ago, SWprotected said:

I thought that Sig had introduced a p320 Competition model at Shot show last year. It had a longer barrel, adjustable rear sight, and the magwell was beveled. I thought it looked like it would be a nice option for a production gun.

That has evolved to the 320 X5 that has been discussed lately.  Sig introduced it at last year's SHOT and never released it.  Heard from a sig dealer the X5 is estimated for quarter 2 of 2017...but last year I remember hearing the 320 "Target" was supposed to be released around July, if I remember correctly

9 hours ago, bomadera said:

I disagree, I bought a 320 Compact and have shot matches with it and did fine.   The so-called 7# trigger seems much lighter because it's such a smooth trigger pull.    I liked it so much I bought a full size to compete with, sent it off to Gray Guns, waited 3 months and got the gun back. It was well worth the wait, the trigger measured about 3#, incredibly smooth. I have a couple of nice custom 2011s, and right now they sit in the safe b/c I would rather shoot my 320.  Oh yeah I almost forgot, they both are more accurate than any Glock I've owned.

You ought to reed what I wrote.   There is no point in trying to have a conversation if you are not going to pay attention to what the other person says.

15 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

AG - I take it your a M/GM to make this comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I'm just a guy who shoots between 2000 and 3000 rounds a month and owns a full size 320 that I've shot the crap out of.  My comments are an opinion based on my experience with that gun, and I'll stand by them (and repeat them for bomadera who doesn't read threads just comments on them)  Unless you are willing to spend the money (300 or so??) and wait months to have the work done, there are better choices on the market.  For some of us, money isn't the issue, the wait is, along with being able to service anything that goes wrong, or have someone else take care of it, without having to take the gun out of service for extended periods of time while you wait on one of two guys to fix it.  

I disagree with you AG. I shoot better and reload faster with my 320 than my Stock 2. Not classified yet but should be B after the classifier match in 2 weeks.

Also meant to add that I'll still be in the 320 for less money than almost any metal framed gun. I don't feel it's going to hold me back at all.

I disagree with you AG. I shoot better and reload faster with my 320 than my Stock 2. Not classified yet but should be B after the classifier match in 2 weeks.

Also meant to add that I'll still be in the 320 for less money than almost any metal framed gun. I don't feel it's going to hold me back at all.

Going to mid Carolina? Ill be there too, and the following weekend for RO class. Ill be shooting my 320 too. Only work to it, I've done myself, a little trigger work, grip work, and soon ill put sights on

Daniel K

On 12/30/2016 at 9:37 PM, twister said:

I'm wanting to buy a new P320

So, we're talking about a 320 current vs 320 X5. I'm inferring that you are committed to buying a 320, so other guns are moot.

On 12/30/2016 at 9:37 PM, twister said:

should I wait on the competition model, or go with the standard 320?  I'll be using the gun for production.

What reasons would you have for waiting?

You wonder if the FS (say) will do the job. Apparently, although it won't be as good (or why consider the wait at all?).

You wonder that you'll be left with a boat anchor later. If you are prepared to send it to GG and have it offline for months after you buy an X5 later it will get closer to an X5 (and similar to what the Sig team was shooting this year so more than good enough) as a backup. I wouldn't count on the FCU being able to park in the new grip module, especially given the different slide lengths, so it would have quite different ergos. I personally wouldn't consider that a backup. It will never be as flexible (eg. Limited + Production suitability), but you are targeting Production so maybe that's moot.

You already have a Prod gun and wonder if you will get enough improvement. Depends on what you have. I have a 226 that nobody but a hardcore Sig retro fanboy would suggest for Production/CO but I'm using that and waiting because it's good enough for me.

You either can't afford or otherwise object to having two guns when one would do, or you are married. If you already have a gun this is a no brainer - wait. If you have nothing Prod suitable then are you prepared to wait an unspecified time for the X5 (if you've been following threads you'll know that some of us have been waiting a year now already - I guess that's both good and bad)?

You wonder if the thing will ever actually be released. Welcome to our nightmare.

You've heard about the CZ P10-C and thought the C stood for Competition.  Wait, sorry, you're buying a 320 (and no, it doesn't).

Personally, unless I either didn't have a gun suitable for shooting USPSA in any division at all, or had no resource constraints buying a gun, I would wait. A stock 320 FS has no appeal to me for competition. Others differ.

Edited by gavagai

Going to mid Carolina? Ill be there too, and the following weekend for RO class. Ill be shooting my 320 too. Only work to it, I've done myself, a little trigger work, grip work, and soon ill put sights on

Daniel K

No, a match here in Houston.

4 hours ago, agwoodard said:

No, I'm just a guy who shoots between 2000 and 3000 rounds a month and owns a full size 320 that I've shot the crap out of. 

`Hey agwoodard - how many matches have you shot with your 320 and how has it held up? Any malfunctions? I'm assuming you're shooting Production, not Carry Optics.

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, titandriver said:

`Hey agwoodard - how many matches have you shot with your 320 and how has it held up? Any malfunctions? I'm assuming you're shooting Production, not Carry Optics.

Thanks!

I have not shot it in a match yet, and I have no intentions of doing so because the trigger is just too heavy.  That said, please don't get me wrong.   I like the Sig P320, and mine, a full size equipped with a TLR on the rail is my night stand pistol.   It is very accurate, looks good, the finish seems to be holding up well, and it fits my hands nicely.   It's a good pointer out of the holster.  And in this case, the heavy trigger works in it's favor.  No AD on the BG with a 3 pound "hair trigger" to make Lawyers get all gooey eyed at the huge civil suit they'll be able to bring.  Also, it's a 500 buck gun.  If you use it, you lose it.   I'd rather lose the 320 than one of my 1911's which cost two and three times as much.  Even with all that is good about it, for ME - it's not a good competition gun for several reasons.  First, I don't want to wait to have trigger work done to the gun.   Second, once that trigger work is done, I don't want to be stuck having only one of two people in the country being able to fix any problems, or having replacement parts readily available to make home repairs, which would mean, for the average shooter, the gun would be down for a good amount of time.  Finally, I am not convinced that the trigger work being done on these guns is actually safe.   Mention was made in one of the forums about someone having issues at the nationals this year with a worked on gun going off on it's own.   From a layman's view, the way the trigger works in the 320, the re positioning of the lug on the trigger that connects to the trigger bar that supposedly drops the trigger pull by a pound or two alone, can only be accomplished by preloading the trigger.  Think of it as walking around with your finger partly engaging the trigger all the time.  I don't think Sig ever intended for this gun to be used as a serious completion piece.  There is a reason the trigger comes from the factory at 7 to 7 1/2 pounds.   I would imagine this is why Apex has not modified their drop in triggers.   I am sure they could easily reposition the trigger bar lug, but they don't, and you have to ask yourself why.  

So when the question comes up, should I get a sig p320 for the games, the answer is, it depends.   If you are just shooting to have fun and want to use what you keep for home defense or what you carry, sure.   If you want to be competitive, well, I personally would look at other options.