Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Special 148gr DBBWC Loads?

matteekay

Howdy!

I have a box of coated lead 148gr DBBWC (double bevel-base wadcutters... whew!) that have been sitting under my bench for a while because I can't find good load data. There's plenty out there for the hollow-base wadcutters, but I didn't want to use that data as the case volume won't be the same. I'd load these up for bowling pin shooting so probably somewhere in the 800-900 range using .38 Special cases.

Does anyone have a load they like for these? Powders on-hand are 700X, Autocomp, and Trail Boss, but I can always grab something else.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

And remember that their loads were chronographed with a 7.7" barrel and a hollow base bullet. Another reason I say that all handloaders should have at least 1 Lyman manual.

Yeah, that doesn't actually help any as the HBWC is the data I'm leery of (again, cartridge volume). I do have a Lyman manual and they have a similar bullet; I'll wind up using that if no one has any recommendations.

In the Pistol & Revolver III and the Lyman 49th, they used a 150 gr. WC. That data is plenty good! Just nothing for TB of AC.

I gotcha, #358091, running 2.9 to 3.3 grains of 700X. The low side of that should actually work well.

Now comes the hard part - getting 700X to meter correctly through Lee gear, lol.

EDIT: Found two more tidbits in my sheets of load data. IMR says 3.5gr of 700X max for a 148gr LBBWC, good for 850 fps, and Lee/Hogdon says 2.5gr max for 804 for a "148gr Wad Cutter". Can't anyone agree on anything?

With Trail Boss, use the Hodgdon Max listed charge for the 148 gr. HBWC as a Start Charge for the 148 gr. DEBBWC. A chronograph will really help here.

Agreed. Am I backwards, though? I thought HWBC would mean more volume and less pressure, so I should be stepping down for DEBBWC. Or is it just because Trail Boss is SO slow?

I load both 148 HBWC and coated 148 DEWC.

Can start out with the same load data for both bullets. 

Difference is that the HBWC shouldn't be loaded to much above 800 FPS.

DEWC, OTOH can be loaded mush hotter. I shoot the coated ones in 357 Magnum to about 950 FPS and could go much hotter.

Powder i use for them is 231.

I load both 148 HBWC and coated 148 DEWC.

Can start out with the same load data for both bullets. 

Difference is that the HBWC shouldn't be loaded to much above 800 FPS.

DEWC, OTOH can be loaded mush hotter. I shoot the coated ones in 357 Magnum to about 950 FPS and could go much hotter.

Powder i use for them is 231.

Thanks for the reply! I've been doing some reading since I posted and I found the issue with HBWC's having their skirts blown apart (tee-hee) at velocities over 800. That explains why the loads seem so conservative.

I know a few people loading the DEWC's VERY hot. I'll probably be more conservative, but it sounds like I shouldn't be too afraid of that max if it's coming from a HBWC (and I'm still within SAAMI).