Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Captains of crush?

DKnoch

I have the medium gripmaster, due to tendinitis in my wrist, but it's not much work. Should i get the extra heavy gripmaster or just get CoC? I was thinking of the .5 (120 lbs) to start with. Suggestions?

Daniel K

I've never used a gripmaster. The .5 CoC is starting to get into some pretty strong territory. I think I started with the 3 pack that has the Trainer. Don't ignore the extension bands, your elbows will thank you. 

I worked up to the #2 without using the bands. 18 months later, I still have elbow problems. 

Edited by racknrider
Ttt

I've never used a gripmaster. The .5 CoC is starting to get into some pretty strong territory. I think I started with the 3 pack that has the Trainer. Don't ignore the extension bands, your elbows will thank you. 

I worked up to the #2 without using the bands. 18 months later, I still have elbow problems. 

Definitely need to use the bands as racknrider stated from day one!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The extra heavy is a different design and larger than the other style. Medium is ok, I bet you could get a good workout with it if you squeeze and hold for longer, not just aimlessly squeeze quickly. I use the black heavy and I can only do about 20 until I switch to the other hand, back and forth maybe 3 sets and I can't do it any more. Could pull out the lighter ones for drop sets but eh.

I can hold down the medium one for a long time, and i do. If i just squeeze it a bunch of times, get nothing out of it. I ordered the extra heavy pro gripmaster last night, because i lost an ebay auction for the coc trainer. I'll get a coc soon and the rubber bands. Vogel says to go heavy for less reps, because that's what we do in our sport. Thanks for input everyone

Daniel K

Whatever method you ultimately choose to go with be sure to warm up the wrist first (you can use a heating pad set at low to medium level for 20 minutes), practice good form with the repetitions done smoothly, rest 90 seconds between sets and at the end of your workout ice the area down for 20 minutes. Crushed ice in a sandwich bag wrapped in a wet washcloth conforms to the area very well. If you experience any pain, hold off for a couple of days (at least) before trying again and do ice to the area ( 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off) and, if needed, even take aspirin for pain/inflammation. 

If you are only doing this for shooting I would not get the CoC. Ironmind (makers of CoC) also make a line of grippers called " Zenith". These have smooth, more ergo friendly handles and a flatter sweep. They are easier on the hands and elbows in my experience. I own sets of both CoC and Zenith grippers. I do 80% of my work on the Zenith.

Just as important as the bands are Chad's elbow exercises. If you are going to work grippers then you should also do those exercises regularly.

On 12/31/2016 at 7:44 AM, DKnoch said:

I can hold down the medium one for a long time, and i do. If i just squeeze it a bunch of times, get nothing out of it. I ordered the extra heavy pro gripmaster last night, because i lost an ebay auction for the coc trainer. I'll get a coc soon and the rubber bands. Vogel says to go heavy for less reps, because that's what we do in our sport. Thanks for input everyone

Daniel K

I do mostly heavy low reps seems to work pretty good im at Coc 2.5 right now, but i wouldnt just stick to one thing either. I also like to do holds and every once in a while a complete burn out.

Grippers arent the only option either you can do things like finger tip pushups or one handed hangs.

As you get up to the heavier stuff a little chulk can really help the gripper from moving around in your hand.

If you are only doing this for shooting I would not get the CoC. Ironmind (makers of CoC) also make a line of grippers called " Zenith". These have smooth, more ergo friendly handles and a flatter sweep. They are easier on the hands and elbows in my experience. I own sets of both CoC and Zenith grippers. I do 80% of my work on the Zenith.

Just as important as the bands are Chad's elbow exercises. If you are going to work grippers then you should also do those exercises regularly.

Was out of town past few days and had little to no internet, sorry. Thanks everybody for the information, im working my way down the list of ideas. I looked up zenith grips and they look nice. Only thing that gives me pause, is the iron mind website and grip forums on google, seem to say that Zeniths are made for lower weight and higher reps and are lighter than the comparable CoC. Are the Zeniths close to as challenging as the CoC? I found a three pack of either gripper, so ill probably get one or the other soon. They suggest a warm up, a working one, and a challenge one. If i got CoC I was thinking trainer, .5, and 1 or sport, trainer, and 1. Any input on that? If i got zeniths I would probably do trainer, 1, and 2. Going to get the bands as well, already found some thicker bands for now.
Also the absolute pt website Ive heard steve Anderson talk highly of him. Ill read through that tomorrow. Thanks to all suggestions and if there are any more, feel free to keep them coming

Daniel K

Ive got a pretty extensive set of grippers and grip implements myself, have the trainer ,.5 , 1 , 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 for CoC. If your looking to order i suggest looking at cannonpowerworks they have many different brands of grippers. Also they have mens/womens beginner/intermediate/elite packages ( under "Getting Started").

1 hour ago, DKnoch said:

Was out of town past few days and had little to no internet, sorry. Thanks everybody for the information, im working my way down the list of ideas. I looked up zenith grips and they look nice. Only thing that gives me pause, is the iron mind website and grip forums on google, seem to say that Zeniths are made for lower weight and higher reps and are lighter than the comparable CoC. Are the Zeniths close to as challenging as the CoC? I found a three pack of either gripper, so ill probably get one or the other soon. They suggest a warm up, a working one, and a challenge one. If i got CoC I was thinking trainer, .5, and 1 or sport, trainer, and 1. Any input on that? If i got zeniths I would probably do trainer, 1, and 2. Going to get the bands as well, already found some thicker bands for now.
Also the absolute pt website Ive heard steve Anderson talk highly of him. Ill read through that tomorrow. Thanks to all suggestions and if there are any more, feel free to keep them coming

Daniel K

If cost is an issue then get Heavy Grips.  https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Grips-Set-Strengthener-Professionals/dp/B0017OSE1A/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1483422717&sr=1-2&keywords=heavy+grips

The 200 is plenty difficult for a novice. Some people complain they aren't as weighted the same as CoC, but I don't think it really matters if they're still difficult for you to squeeze. #1 thing to do is make sure your form is correct. Don't cheat your reps.

Daniel K

The Zenith grippers provide plenty of challenge. Trainer, 1 and 2 would be a good place to start in the Zenith line. I would consider buying the Agility as well. This is a very light gripper but is excellent for warm up.

On 1/2/2017 at 0:00 AM, Dr Mitch said:

Buy all but the heaviest CoC, use them 3-4 times per week.  120lbs is nothing.

Read this guy's blog: https://www.absolutept.com/ . It addresses tendon issues for shooters.

Most people will never have a use for, or be able to close, a 3 or a 3.5 either ("heaviest" COC is a 4). 

Even 2.5 for a lot of folks isn't going to be great for the weekly workout.  Sure, workup to it, but there's no reason to buy 2.5 and up to begin with. 

What does a CoC 3 or 4 come out to weight wise?

My girlfriend bought me a set of grip trainers for Christmas.  It was a set of 3:  100, 150, and 200 pounds.

At my current work, there was a physical agility test involved during the hiring process. They had their own hand dynanometer which looked like this:

W99711_01_Baseline-HD-Hydraulic-Hand-Dyn

IIRC, my right handed squeezed 146 pounds and my left was 140 pounds.

What my GF got me looks like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BLTDIH6/ref=mp_s_a_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1483467246&sr=8-24&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=grip+strengthener

For me, the 100 and 150 is easy to close.  I can almost close the 200.

I find that doing pullups helps a lot with grip strength and endurance.

Edited by Chills1994

A #3 COC is 280lb.  And is VERY VERY VERY challenging.  I'ts not going to be the same as on "off" brand 280lb in most cases. 

I work as an Industrial Eng., and have used hand dynos in ergonomic studies quite a bit.  As an example, I can peg a dyno at 200lbs with either hand (I haven't used one that reads further), but have only been able able to close a #3 fully 3 different times.  It took some working up to it the first time... and I gave myself tendinitis over the course of a few weeks while working on it.  

Definitely need to use the bands as racknrider stated from day one!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just started looking at the captains of crush. What bands are you talking about?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

I got this on Amazon for checking progress ...

important to check your "shooting grip" strength & not just how hard you can squeeze the thing when you do it lest you get an over rated opinion of your actual shooting grip strength ....

strong hand:  3 fingers only, no thumb or trigger finger

weak hand: all 4 fingers, no thumb

just grabbing the thing and squeezing the life out of it may impress the 20-something groupies at the bar after the match but won't give you any real info on your shooting grip strength ...

IMG_0092.JPG

Edited by Nimitz

just grabbing the thing and squeezing the life out of it may impress the 20-something groupies at the bar after the match

That's the whole point, isnt it? Also, splits get chicks.

Seriously though, definitely not all about grip strength and splits, but the more grip strength you have/use, the more you can get away with slapping the trigger. At least in my experience, but I'm not as good as many out there and probably dont have quite as good trigger control.

I ordered the extra heavy pro gripmaster a little bit back and got it in the mail. It's pretty good and gives me a bit of a workout, but I prefer the original gripmasters ergos. I restarted doing some work with dumbells that i used to do. Im going to get some zenith grippers or maybe CoC soon too.

Daniel K