Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Move rear sight Shadow 2

HeavyD7042

I have a Shadow 2 and want to move the rear sight a little bit to the right. POI is somewhat to the left and if I use a Sightmark boresight the dot is also just a bit to the left.

I removed the set screws, gave it a few goods wacks with a hammer and punch but no movement at all. How can get that bugger to move a very little bit to right? Does CZ use loctite on it?

Or should I leave it alone and just use a slightly different sight picture when shooting something small at 20-25 meters, for example an ipsc popper.  If I aim dead center on a popper from 25 meter the bullet just misses the popper on the left. I use the gun in ipsc not for target shooting.

I haven't had to move the sights on my S2 other than for elevation, but I did have to for my S1. It took some really big whacks to drift that sight and I only got the courage to do it after reading how tight the fit was on most of the Shadows. 

If the Shadow 2 is the same, you might need a bigger hammer.

31 minutes ago, PRanta said:

CZ puts a little drop of tread locker under the sight. Use some heat, but beware not to ruin the painted slide. Also some good force is needed.

I am thinking that common thread locker used in the US goes back to liquid at about 175 degrees F (not sure what that is in the metric system, maybe 7 centimeters or something like that). 

Heat it and drift it with hammer and punch is standard operating procedure, but with that gun I would look into buying a good solid sight pusher that fits right or preferably finding a friend or local gunsmith who already has one. I think CZ custom sells them for about $100 US.

It makes me crazy to have a competition gun that hits right or left. 

1 hour ago, HeavyD7042 said:

Do you have to heat it when using a pusher?

I have got this sight pusher https://sightpusher.com/

But I can't get the slide locked in place, the slide isn't square.

I have the same tool that you do. My experience with it has been that sometimes it works, but it is a little bit bendy & as you noted sometimes it does not want to square with your particular slide.

When the tool worked, I would just apply some reasonable amount of torque to the screw and then tap with a hammer & then repeat the process. No heat. 

When I could not make the tool work it was vice-bang, heat if nothing happens.

If I live long enough for US delivery of an S2, and I need to adjust, I'm going to buy one of these http://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/front-and-rear-sights/rear-sights/cz-rear-sight-pusher.html and email or call CZ Custom for advice. 

I sent CZ custom a mail. Sightpusher told me I need the 10 degr. angled block set for the Shadow 2. So maybe I'm gonna order that block set for $8.

Strange thing is that it seems like if I put the pistol on a a table, benchrest or whatever, align front and rear sight the red dot from the boresight sits just above my front sight. If I take the pistol in my hands align the sights the red dot is just left of the front sight. Is this in issue with my grip or eyesight?

There are fully adjustable sights for the Shadow and Shadow 2, but I find them a waste of time. For my 2s I recentered all my sights as they were all slightly too far right. I used the big MGW sight tool and some cursing (they are really tight) to move them past center to the left, and then back to where I wanted them. Guns shoot perfect now. As far as I know they are not using any kind of thread locker on the sights themselves and definitely not on the sight screws as almost everyone I've seen needs threadlocker put on the screws as they are vibrating out while shooting, the sight is so tight it's not going to move though. 

As for damaging the paint on the slide with heat, it's not painted, it's nitrided, not sure how much heat you'd need to use to damage or change the look of it. Probably still best to not overdue it though. 

5 hours ago, slavex said:

There are fully adjustable sights for the Shadow and Shadow 2, but I find them a waste of time.

Apparently you are not neurotic :) . I am.

For what these guns cost it is hard for me to understand bang and hope windage. 

My feeling is if the gun isn't shooting center for windage, with the sight centered in the slide, there is something wrong with the gun. Elevation needs to be changed for distance or different loads/weights, but windage should never change. So even if you do need to adjust something, it's a one time adjustment. My guns the sights were too far right, only a smidge, but enough to annoy me. Now they are centered and they shoot center, so I am happy.

10 hours ago, slavex said:

My guns the sights were too far right, only a smidge, but enough to annoy me. Now they are centered and they shoot center, so I am happy.

Yea, only a smidge drives me crazy, there is a rational that says you do not need to be zeroed all that well for USPSA, but if you were not particular about guns you probably would not be interested in an S2 in the first place.

Looks like the 5 people on this thread have all needed to move fixed rear sights, if I live long enough to get an S2 and windage is not a pain then that will be great & I will be happy.

I'm surprised that you do not find a need to re-zero after 10,000 rounds or so, seems like my guns will typically move point of aim a bit during the period that you see blue wearing off & wear rings appearing on the barrel & etc.. 

• 6 years later...

CZ Shadow 2 is shooting slightly low & left out the box, with factory and handloads (CMJ Restrike 124gr FP @ 4.2gr Vectan BA9 1/2 278mm OAL 9.59mm crimp). Constant result after 1000 rounds. Bench rest single action (with Cajun competition hammer spring). Pictures attached @ 15 & 21 feet. About to try to knock the rear sight 0.5mm left, nervous. Disappointed in the setup of such an expensive competition gun 

Mine shot about an inch right at 10 yards out of the box. I tried adjusting the windage of the rear sight using a sight pusher and broke the tool before the sight ever moved. I shoot with a red dot now.

OK, thanks for the heads up. I've heard that it is not easy to move the fixed rear sight for windage. It's got me thinking that it may not be worth it but I was constantly missing small plates at the last shoot left at anything further than 10m so I either have to learn to lead right or try to knock it into line. Very nervous to damage the gun - one of the gunshop guys told me I'll need to use a 16lb hammer. Yikes 

Thanks Almo. I think I'm going to live with it for now and see that it's not operator error. If it turns out that the sights are indeed out I'm going to go optics. That is after all why I bought the Shadow 2 OR. I just was hoping to get to grips with the gun with iron sights first. It is very strange for such an expensive competition gun not to have windage adjustable sights 

I moved the rear sight on my Shadow 2 Orange with this. Easy peasy. Think I bought it off Amazon a few years ago and it was cheap. On the back of the box says it was designed in US and made in ????  You guessed it!   It came with several shapes of rubber blocks for the side adjusters.  I've used it on numerous firearms.

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg