Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder question

MaddHatter

I am about to start reloading and bought some coated 124, 135, and 147 as well as Xtreme 147 but going through the reloading book there is no data for the 147s and titegroup which is all I have on hand. My question is as a beginner should I start with a different powder?

1 hour ago, MaddHatter said:

I am about to start reloading and bought some coated 124, 135, and 147 as well as Xtreme 147 but going through the reloading book there is no data for the 147s and titegroup which is all I have on hand. My question is as a beginner should I start with a different powder?

type titegroup with 147 in the search window. Should see about 946 results. Read through it and I'll bet you find 3.2 or so works.

15 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

I have done that and made note of the information. Just being a little paranoid since it wasn't in the book. Thanks for the response. 

After you do some research you can PM me and I'll let you know who I trust on here to give reliable accurate and safe load data. That may help you narrow it down. :)

Pretty sure Titegroup is in my Lyman 49th for 147 cast, and max was lower than 3.2, jacketed I don't recall.

Anyway with various coated 147s 3.2gr of TG did absolutely fine, COAL was always longer than 1.10".

Reloading requires attention, TG is very dense, minor changes in charge matter with it and can be a little hard to spot, however it also meters very well so if your technique is solid it will treat you well.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to the forum but not to reloading and using titegroup.  Sarge is right on the mark based on my experience.  Load as long as your mags and chamber will allow and that will keep you out of trouble with the faster powders such as titegroup.  3.2 grains @1.15 OAL works well.