Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I would like to introduce myself

rjkelso

Hi guys. My name is Rick and I am gonna shoot revolver this  year and for the foreseeable future. I have mostly shot flat guns and am classified in SS, Production and Limited. I have always wanted to shoot revolver but the major power factor put me off a bit. Though I did shoot ESR in IDPA a long time ago and shot well with a 610 and 625. I own an Apex  tuned 625. I just bought a 627 5 inch. I put in an Apex hammer and firing pins, wolf mainspring and 11lb rebound spring and polished things up with JM's help. I did not touch the Apex hammer. My trigger pull is very smooth and light. It feels much like the action on my Apex 625. My trigger pull gauge died so I don't know what the pull actually is. I set the strain screw at the range shooting 38spl without using moonclips. I am led to understand that was a mistake as I was .025 farther away from the firing pin. So using my moonclips I could back out the strain screw another half turn or so, do I have that right? I'll go back to the range and see about that.

I have 1000 147 Blue Bullets, 7+ lbs of N320 and 25lbs of CSB-1. 1000 Starline .38 short colt brass. I also have around 38k small Federal primers. So I put together a load with my SDB using a 38 sizing die and shell plate, 9mm powder funnel, seating die and crimp die. I can manage a crimp of .374-5 and that seems to work fine. So I loaded up the short colt brass with 3.4 grains of N320 at 1.170 using the 147 Blues and fed. primers. I figured that is a good place to start with the chrono. If I am light then I will move the bullet deeper carefully to make minor.

I spoke to Dillon about setting up my 650. I told them I wanted to load short and long colt. They said to use a 38 sizing die, 9mm funnel and 38 super seating and crimp dies with a 38 shell plate. Right now it is set up in .40. I should need little else. What do you think of that?

I have gobbled up just about all the info in the Revo forum and am glad to finally jump in instead of just lurking, Ha. I will need support and fellowship as I will almost certainly be the  only revo shooter where I shoot at Linea de Fuego and sometimes Norco in SoCal.

Anyway that's me, thanks for listening.

Rick

21 minutes ago, rjkelso said:

I set the strain screw at the range shooting 38spl without using moonclips. I am led to understand that was a mistake as I was .025 farther away from the firing pin. So using my moonclips I could back out the strain screw another half turn or so, do I have that right? I'll go back to the range and see about that.

Welcome to the Revolver fold. It is fun and challenging.

The rim of the case sets on the outer edge of the cylinder with or without moonclips. The moonclip floats when it is seated in the gun.

When I do a competition action job I chamfer the cylinder enough that moonclips must be used and the actually do control the headspacing and support the shells.

So no you can't back off the strain screw any. IMO the strain screw should be tightened down all the way all the time. It is not a trigger pull weight adjustment.

Boss, thank you for that, I will take your advice. How do you decide where to cut the strain screw? Do you look at how much is sticking up once you have determined reliability and cut that much off the other end?

Depends on what mainspring you are using. I use a re arched stock flat spring. I don't care for the ribbed mainsprings.

Every gun is different and it depends on what all has been done to the gun(Hammer bobbed and the reduction in friction, etc.)

There isn't a set amount to remove and everyone I do is different. 

Thanks for introducing yourself, it's always good to have another revolver shooter out there.  BossHoss is full of good information so I'm glad he chimed in. In general this forum is full of people who are willing to answer questions and share their experiences, I sure appreciate all of the help I've received over the last year!

15 hours ago, onebadeye said:

Hope you Enjoy revolver division, been shooting over 20 years.  I started shooting  revolver two years ago. and I think  it is the best most challenging division  ever.

This describes my thoughts as well. I shot my first match with a revolver in early 2015 and plan to do so for the foreseeable future.  It can be a bit difficult when you first get started but there's a learning curve with every division.  If you have guns set-up for 6 Major and 8 Minor you're good for just about any match I can think of, go out and have fun!