Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max

Boudreaux78

1-1/8 oz @ 1200fps is the standard.  If it was lower power that this, try some hotter loads.  I would take apart and re-assemble.   If that doesn't work, call Remington.

It is usually suggested that you shoot some hotter loads to break in a new shotgun.

Can be more specific than "would not function"? Failure to feed? Failure to fire? Failure to eject? Something else? Also, which model: Tactical? Competition? Other? Also, what (if any) modifications have been made, and by who? Did you not test fire the gun before the match?

More info needed.

IIRC the TTI lifter is designed for the Benelli M2, not the VM (which has a longer receiver than the Benelli M2), so this can be causing your feeding issues. Some photos of the feed jam would help. Start by replacing the Benelli lifter with a Remington factory standard (not welded) carrier and see if it helps... if so, you can have it welded later.

Next question: Does the bolt cycle smoothly by hand and lock back when empty? If fired with only one shell in the chamber (empty magazine), does it eject properly and the bolt lock open? Does this happen every time (try this test, say, 25 times to be sure). If it malfunctions, photograph each instance before you clear it so we can look for trends.

if not extracting (i.e. leaves hull in the chamber), look closely at the extractor and extractor spring. if in doubt, replace with factory or Benelli equivalents.

I own three VMs, including a very early 26" model, and several friends run them also. I have replaced some parts in mine, but all of them ran reliably out of the box... it is an exceptionally reliable platform (until we 3-gunners start messing with it). 

Edited by StealthyBlagga