Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What sight widths are you using for competition?

nikdanja

Thinking about going a tad bigger both front and rear. 

Rear is a .115 and front is .100. 

I originally wanted as small as possible for precision on steel and long range paper targets. 

As im typing this out I guess I should see where my deviation is if I put that front dot as far left and as far right, (while still seeing the dot) breaking the shot and see how far my deviation is from the A zone at let's say 15 yards.  Would going bigger help keep the shot in the center because there's not as much "air" in between the rear and front sight that would induce user error while shooting faster?

What size sights do you guys run on your competition guns?

I'm shooting .40 limited BTW

Edited just now by nikdanja

Older eyes need more light up the sides of the front sight, so I use a .125" to .130" wide rear notch and a .110" front blade for slower shooting and a .100" front blade for the faster stuff.

Your brain will try to keep the front sight central in the light gap, so the more light (up to a point) the faster the brain will process the sight alignment.

You want .010 to .020 light bars on each side of your front sight!  Totally agree with CHA-LEE he taught me some stuff with sights: great insight into the uspsa game with him!

Edited by jcc7x7

• 1 month later...

STI adjustable rear with a lightning rod Manny Dot from Brazos. Love the manny dot. .070 width. Took about 1-2 weeks of practice and a match to get used to it, but now I never want to go back to anything else. Might be hard for some people to see, but I have young eyes. Link to sight below.

http://www.1911store.com/lightningrodmicrodotstisv-2.aspx