Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot calibration distance for USPSA matches

zipollini

I find 18 yards works the best for me, most of the targets (don't know the exact percentage but suspect that 80% of the targets are 20 yards or less) I shoot USPSA Open and know the hold over (actually hold under;)) on targets out to 40 yards, 50 yards is POA (point of aim for those wondering what that means:lol:), after that it becomes hold over again. 9 major has some strange ballistics. I practice at all ranges so I know where to aim, I don't agree with the statement about forgetting where to aim during a stage, it's like any other shooting skill, if you can't do it on the clock, you need to practice more.

5 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

Btw just in response to the original question - 15, 20 or 30 feet are all a waste of time. 15ft is not even 3 yards... You can almost reach out and touch the target with your comp at that distance....  15 yards is generally the absolute closest but ano makes some good points about going further out. 

It's been a while since college.... But I'm fairly sure 15 feet is actually 5 yards.... I dunno I'll see if I can dig up some of my old notes and text books

It's been a while since college.... But I'm fairly sure 15 feet is actually 5 yards.... I dunno I'll see if I can dig up some of my old notes and text books

Haha I was thinking that same thing. I'd also agree though that a 15ft zero is a serous waste of time. And you'd probably sending rounds over the berm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, shooterDrew said:

Haha I was thinking that same thing. I'd also agree though that a 15ft zero is a serous waste of time. And you'd probably sending rounds over the berm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Haha, yeah for sure, I like 18-20 yds, most of the matches I shoot are 30 yds and in with the occasional farther target, and the majority of targets are close that way it is either poa/poi or minimal hold off for 99% of the targets and you know what the hold off is for the occasional longer shot 

Edited by evilbeef54

I zero mine at 25 yards.  It helps with the long shots and doesn't hurt the close ones.  I still have to hold over 1.5" @ 5 yards, 1" @ 10 and .5" at 15.  For anything else out to 50, I just hold dead on.  Even at 75 I'm only 2.3" low, so it's really a dead on hold unless the target is small or obscured.

On December 28, 2016 at 8:55 PM, BeerBaron said:

Btw just in response to the original question - 15, 20 or 30 feet are all a waste of time. 15ft is not even 3 yards... You can almost reach out and touch the target with your comp at that distance....  15 yards is generally the absolute closest but ano makes some good points about going further out. 

The longer I've been in the sport the farther out I zero. I started with a zero at 8-10 yards. You better know what the hell you are doing if your zero is 8-10 yards and you come across a target at 35-50 yards.  Especially with the standard upright Cmore. Even a big open target at 50 yards can present a severe challenge.

Now I zero at 17 or farther.  This makes Anything up close easy peasy and those far targets become so much less complicated. 

Edited by Chris iliff

On 29 December 2016 at 6:50 PM, evilbeef54 said:

Yes I probably need to re do 1st grade.... :(

still regardless of how many yards there are in 15ft I stand by the notion that it's a waste of time 'zeroing' a pistol at that distance (or even 30ft). 

I just did my new rts2 today on one of my open guns. Started at 10 meters just to get going in the right direction. Then zero'd at 20 meters and checked it at 25 (limit of the bay I was at). :)

• 2 weeks later...

I zero my open gun at 25 yards.  I shot that stage at hurricane nats and really had no idea where the rounds were gonna end up so i held a little lower than middle of the lower A zone and just fired 2 at each.  I wish i would have tried to figure out where my gun was at 50 because i woulda held a little higher.  Not because the drop but because of the trigger jerk after all those poppers. My gun with 115 and 7.9gr. Of WAC (9major)  Hits a steel Azone plate at 50yrds all day long with no hold over.