Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot calibration distance for USPSA matches

zipollini

Be sure to check it at several distances. That way if you don't math well you will know where at the bullets comes back across the sight in. For example my gun hits the sight in at 22 yards and 65 yards the second time . It's helpful knowing this when some jackass designs a stage with 50+ yard targets

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, mwray said:

Be sure to check it at several distances. That way if you don't math well you will know where at the bullets comes back across the sight in. For example my gun hits the sight in at 22 yards and 65 yards the second time . It's helpful knowing this when some jackass designs a stage with 50+ yard targets

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, name-calling always helps, especially when we can't shoot to start with.  But practice works better.

Edited by teros135

7 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Yes, name-calling always helps, especially when we can't shoot to start with.  But practice works better.

Practice ??? I just bought a new STI DVC Open gun and now you are telling me I also have to practice ? What's up with that ?

We are talkin about practice ? Practice ?? :-)

Generally if you zero it at 18-25 yards that will give a zero that is not too low at close targets and not too high at distance. 

So so I say zero at 20 yards but check the zero/holdover at everything right in from 3 yards (will be hitting low) then right out to 50 yards (most likely high). 

Just as as important as the zero is KNOWING where the gun hits at those increments from 3 yards to 50. 

7 hours ago, zipollini said:

Practice ??? I just bought a new STI DVC Open gun and now you are telling me I also have to practice ? What's up with that ?

We are talkin about practice ? Practice ?? :-)

Yep, he's got a handle on it.  Well, I guess he does.  He sure says it with confidence.  What're we talking about?  Oh, yeah, practice!

Well what would you refer to a person who does that crap just because they think it's cute to piss people off like that? Someone has to score it and paste it! I thought the term jackass was being nice

3 hours ago, mwray said:

Well what would you refer to a person who does that crap just because they think it's cute to piss people off like that? Someone has to score it and paste it! I thought the term jackass was being nice

That is why IPSC shoots rarely have targets at those distances. The extra time needed putting through 150-300 competitors, and the time taken to patch those targets is not worth the challenge. 

we had level 3 competitions with targets at 80-90 yards this year, same last year, etc. 

Buddy still holds the PIMP record on the 80-90 yard targets, he shot them WHILE MOVING using minimum rounds :D (and hit) 

longest I shot my open gun was 343 yards. good thing it was a wopping 12 by 12 inch target. the hitrate wasnt 100%, but it did go pling quite a few times. had a spotter calling all wind corretions etc, shot with rest, prone. Brought a gun to a longrange shooting event, and stuck around at the end, and we decided.. hey, wonder if my open gun can hit that. 6moa dot aimed up treees ;) 

Edited by ano

Btw just in response to the original question - 15, 20 or 30 feet are all a waste of time. 15ft is not even 3 yards... You can almost reach out and touch the target with your comp at that distance....  15 yards is generally the absolute closest but ano makes some good points about going further out.