Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PD Optimized Firing Pin initial thoughts

emjei

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're positive he isn't withholding the presence of an aftermarket plunger spring from his modification list, right? [emoji6]

For whatever reason, to me, it sounds like his DA is going back far enough to light those primers with a match-speed pull, but not with a bullseye trigger pull.

No....his plunger spring is OEM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I know people are going to say they've shot a bazillion rounds of FM with no issue, but if he's making a slow pull, and having ignition problems... might very well be the ammo.

Does the gun function 100% with normal trigger pull?

Yes......issues are only with Bulls Eye DA pulls

A "slow" pull can mean many things. It may mean a pull that stops the trigger as soon as the hammer drops. Tanfos NEED a FULL STROKE of the trigger. Fast slow or medium ... if the stroke is stopped (or slower ) as it drops the hammer, there are a couple "bad things" that can occur. First is the sear may not have lifted the fpb fully. But, the sear being just barely lifted can also allow the 1/2 cock hooks to impact the sear face.  testing trigger pull by the old style hanging weight method and adding just exactly the amount to dtop the hammer will show this. Another thing is the disco "wing" can slide off the trigger bar erratically giving variable short hammer drop.

A "slow" pull can mean many things. It may mean a pull that stops the trigger as soon as the hammer drops. Tanfos NEED a FULL STROKE of the trigger. Fast slow or medium ... if the stroke is stopped (or slower ) as it drops the hammer, there are a couple "bad things" that can occur. First is the sear may not have lifted the fpb fully. But, the sear being just barely lifted can also allow the 1/2 cock hooks to impact the sear face.  testing trigger pull by the old style hanging weight method and adding just exactly the amount to dtop the hammer will show this. Another thing is the disco "wing" can slide off the trigger bar erratically giving variable short hammer drop.

Therefore always go for the closer target ????

Based off my phone call with this individual he's always caught the occasional light strikes with the gun. He did not perform the work himself so it's hard to say what exactly has been done or fitted in the gun. I'll be making contact with his gunsmith shortly to discuss what has been done on the firearm. 

Based off my phone call with this individual he's always caught the occasional light strikes with the gun. He did not perform the work himself so it's hard to say what exactly has been done or fitted in the gun. I'll be making contact with his gunsmith shortly to discuss what has been done on the firearm. 

You are right Joe.....But I've been monitoring the work done by having daily phone conversations lol. (although I always vouched for the owner to do the work himself) ....... I told him to fire only in DA since DA is weaker just as an experiment (SA is never been an issue)

Knowing that you guys are the BEST gunsmiths I post here to hear your opinions

1 minute ago, emjei said:

You are right Joe.....But I've been monitoring the work done by having daily phone conversations lol. (although I always vouched for the owner to do the work himself) ....... I told him to fire only in DA since DA is weaker just as an experiment (SA is never been an issue)

Knowing that you guys are the BEST gunsmiths I post here to hear your opinions

NO worries, we're all here to help out. As you know attention to detail with these guns are a huge part on the tuning process. Its easy for another competent gunsmith to look over an area because its not a cause for concern in another firearm platform. 

58 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Funny you mention the 1/2 cock John as i was just chatting with Waktasz this morning about this phenomenon. Some guns on a really slow SA pull will either fall to half cock or graze by it which in turn slows down the hammer greatly. Now i know he's having issues in DA but its possible he's grazing the half cock killing his hammer travel speed. I've seen some tanfo's that have a slight bit of play in the sear housing to frame tolerance that cause them to wiggle around enough for the hammer to fall to 1/2 cock. This however is seen more in the older style guns.

Got mine in and tested only 9 rounds today due to a squib that happened (freedomammunition.com leftovers from before my Dillon 650 arrived this month). That said, so far so good with these winchester primers on the new pin. Didn't attempt to do any polishing beyond what it came with, but goes higher on the pencil test. :D

Edit:

In case anyone cares. The gun is a Stock III that was optimized by Patriot Defense and the barrel was reamed to spec.

Edited by CarlB86

I started this thread and it was due a Range Report....

First of all I dont reload and since I live in Puerto Rico we cannot get ammo shipped from US. We rely on ammo we buy from gun shops.

I did a practice today with 115gr Hawksight Ammunition (probably the cheapest aluminum case you can get) and they all went Bang. My gun was 99% before.

They use CCI or Magtech to my understanding

Im using the PD#14 and my DA is at 5 1/2 #

14 minutes ago, emjei said:

I started this thread and it was due a Range Report....

First of all I dont reload and since I live in Puerto Rico we cannot get ammo shipped from US. We rely on ammo we buy from gun shops.

I did a practice today with 115gr Hawksight Ammunition (probably the cheapest aluminum case you can get) and they all went Bang. My gun was 99% before.

They use CCI to my understanding.

Im using the PD#14 and my DA is at 5 1/2 #

Have you polished all the internals?

I'm using the PD 12# and my DA is the same. Internals polished last night. Though, gun has been fired less than 200 times so my DA still may go down. Though, I'm like everyone else here, I want 100% without running Federal primers. 

Edited by B_RAD

This is truly "above and beyond" type service!

On 12/28/2016 at 0:58 PM, PatriotDefense said:

• 5 months later...

Is there a reason the PD firing pin end that contacts hammer come to a dome/point? I have only a couple thousand rounds with it and there is already a dimple/deformation of the hammer face.

6 hours ago, Polymer said:

Is there a reason the PD firing pin end that contacts hammer come to a dome/point? I have only a couple thousand rounds with it and there is already a dimple/deformation of the hammer face.

Variable hardness of the hammer is my thought.  the "dome" end allows it to glide in and out of the keeper  (that end plate)  with less friction.