Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is is so hard to get people to try USPSA?

obsessiveshooter

I think a lot of the reason people won't come to matches is exactly why I didn't want to initially. Three things. 

1. I didn't know what to expect. 

2. I didn't want to look stupid. 

3. I didn't want to suck. 

I went after I had finally decided it was for me. Something I wanted to do and couldn't let fear of embarrassment or failure slow me down.  

I think those are the biggest obstacles. 

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting side note...at OUTDOOR CHANNEL we created a project called AMERICAN MARKSMAN, specifically as an amateur shooter competition. We gave away $50k to the winner last weekend in our Finals (a brilliant competition designed and run by Mark Passamaneck)...you'll see the whole thing on OC later this year. You'll also see what a properly filmed shooting competition looks like -- we ran 4 primary cameras, DSLRs for specialty videography and GoPros down range.

Our "net net" was that we brought in almost 5,000 new competitors nationally, probably 80+ % of which had NEVER shot any competition whatsoever! I'm pretty sure nobody has ever done anything close to that number. Our hope is that after the taste of competition, our thousands of newbies will go on to USPSA, IDPA, 3- Gun, etc.

So it can be done, but it takes thinking outside the box...

michael b

3 hours ago, MBaneACP said:

Interesting side note...at OUTDOOR CHANNEL we created a project called AMERICAN MARKSMAN, specifically as an amateur shooter competition. We gave away $50k to the winner last weekend in our Finals (a brilliant competition designed and run by Mark Passamaneck)...you'll see the whole thing on OC later this year. You'll also see what a properly filmed shooting competition looks like -- we ran 4 primary cameras, DSLRs for specialty videography and GoPros down range.

Our "net net" was that we brought in almost 5,000 new competitors nationally, probably 80+ % of which had NEVER shot any competition whatsoever! I'm pretty sure nobody has ever done anything close to that number. Our hope is that after the taste of competition, our thousands of newbies will go on to USPSA, IDPA, 3- Gun, etc.

So it can be done, but it takes thinking outside the box...

michael b

And a TV Network, a boatload of money, recognizable TV personalities, etc. ?

TV Network, money, recognizable television personalities...we have those things.

Which is why I'm working with Mike Foley on raising the profile of USPSA. Under the "old" administration, USPSA had the opportunity to partner with us on AMERICAN MARKSMAN, but it somehow fell through the cracks (as much our problem as anything...teevee decisions get made real quick, and we move on...deadlines are everything). Mike reached out to me, and if you saw this week's SHOOTING GALLERY, we filmed the Carry Open Nationals. I'm meeting with Mike at SHOT to plot out what we're going to do next.

michael b

38 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

MBane, yup, what I said earlier, the USPSA has to bring the sport to the rest of the world, then you'll see a big influx. But not too fast, our local clubs are already over capacity....

Yeah, I have been thinking: " our matches are over just too quickly! We need to find a way to drag them out a few more hours"..

45 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

MBane, yup, what I said earlier, the USPSA has to bring the sport to the rest of the world, then you'll see a big influx. But not too fast, our local clubs are already over capacity....

That's the truth! If you don't register within the first 12 hours that a local match opens, your not getting in. That goes for every match within 2 hours of Charlotte NC. 

Geez!  For the three clubs I shoot USPSA at, if you didn't sign up within one hour of the Practiscore registration opening the week before the match, you don't get to shoot.  You can go and hope someone doesn't show up, but you can't own a spot.  At the last NROI training session, the instructor was asked to pause the class at 9:00AM so a bunch of the trainees could sign up for the following week Ontelaunee shoot.  Fortunately, he obliged and everyone interested signed up.

59 minutes ago, Creek said:

IDPA matches in our club run well over 100 shooters and IPSC run less than 50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's just a local or regional preference. Some areas only have IDPA WITHIN a few hours drive. Other places (like were I live) have a USPSA match close every weekend that have 50-80+ shooters. Yet IDPA is not all that common and get much smaller numbers shooting.

7 hours ago, Sarge said:

That's just a local or regional preference. Some areas only have IDPA WITHIN a few hours drive. Other places (like were I live) have a USPSA match close every weekend that have 50-80+ shooters. Yet IDPA is not all that common and get much smaller numbers shooting.

I think Sarge is right. I am in no way criticizing any shooting sport, just making an observation. IDPA is, rightly or wrongly, viewed by many as an introductory shooting sport. USPSA is viewed as the ultimate competition sport for the best shooters. That perception is enhanced when some USPSA person comes over and shoots an IDPA match and is really better than the IDPA crowd.

I started out in IDPA as many did. When the occasional cross over guy showed up it was obvious he was a better competitive shooter. That's why I eventually tried USPSA and why I never shoot IDPA anymore. I definitely was nervous about going to USPSA because I shared the vision that the guys were better and I might fail. They are better absolutely. However, I found out two things....one, they pay no attention to my obvious low end shooting and , two, it is a hell of a lot more fun than IDPA. 

The reportedly 50% of IDPA shooters who say they are not there for competition are not likely to try the competitive sport. People who are easily intimidated are not likely to try it either. That second crowd would be thrilled to know that USPSA shooters are actually more friendly and helpful than IDPDA guys in my opinion. That is not the perception that is out there.

Chuck, that's because Norco is a very high "waiting" value match whereas Palm Springs is a very low "waiting" value, 6 stages in 90 minutes. Then it's over too fast, and nothing to do but practice drills and chrono loads....

Creek, that's a local thing. Overall USPSA has many more clubs and many more shooters than IDPA. That doesn't meant that it's not as good at all.There are some local action (non-sanctioned) matches here that get over 100 on a regular basis.

I'm a brand new member to USPSA and as you-all can see this is my 1st post on this forum. I've skimmed over some of the posts on pg #1. This is my biggest concern.

I do have a USPSA Safety check card that was issued to me in the summer of 2009 after completing a ISPC 101 class hosted by the USPSA guys at my club.

I will be honest, the main reason I took the class with my then 19 yr old son was because he had enlisted in the ARMY and I wanted to become skilled in the use of a Beretta 92F. My son made it home safe and sound after a tour in Afghanistan. Like it or not - that's what I did.

Anyways, after that class I did not shoot any other matches. Now I'm returning to the sport and I have been working with a close friend to get in some range time before I just show up at a USPSA match with my brand new semi-shinny Glock 35, a bunch of mag pouches on my new velcro double belt, and a 7 1/2 yr old safety check card and say, "hi guys! remember me?"  Know what I mean?

For people on my side of the fence - outside looking in - there is a measure of uneasiness and cautiousness in even showing up at a USPSA match.

What is leading me back to USPSA? My friend who is willing to mentor and encourage me. I have been going over all of the newbie intro info on this website and the NW Section website, taking the online exams and carefully studying the questions I get wrong. There has been more than one change to the rules since I "qualified". I'm trying not to drive my buddy bat shit crazy asking questions. I've read and re-read my new rule book plus I've done a lot of online studying. 

My point being, you-all are ambassadors to this sport be it good or bad. And like my other hobby (ham radio) the best growth is thru one on one mentor-ship. 

VR, Don

I'm working with a local into range/store to put on an intro to the shooting sports series of classes. First one is just classroom and explains what the different sports are and what gear you need to get started. I'm not sure yet how popular they will be but the first one is Feb 23rd so I'll find out soon enough.

3 hours ago, waktasz said:

I'm working with a local into range/store to put on an intro to the shooting sports series of classes. First one is just classroom and explains what the different sports are and what gear you need to get started. I'm not sure yet how popular they will be but the first one is Feb 23rd so I'll find out soon enough.

Good for you. Just be aware that there are a lot of folks out there who are "class takers" and not "competitors"... they will come and take a spot at your class, maybe shoot one match to check that box, then never come to an other match. At least that was what we found. The trick is to find those who are already competitive in nature but just don't know where to start. Maybe advertise at sporting events (I know a lot of guys who came over from motor sports - maybe start there?).

Chopaka, what is a USPSA safety check card? And what is an IPSC 101 class? We shoot USPSA in the US, the rest of the world shoots IPSC. Is that some sort of local club level thing? The official USPSA certification is through the National Range Officer Institute (NROI) starting with a full 2 day class hosted by an instructor from the NROI.

https://www.uspsa.org/NROI-policies-guides.php

Edited by 9x45

2 hours ago, 9x45 said:

Chopaka, what is a USPSA safety check card? And what is an IPSC 101 class? We shoot USPSA in the US, the rest of the world shoots IPSC. Is that some sort of local club level thing? The official USPSA certification is through the National Range Officer Institute (NROI) starting with a full 2 day class hosted by an instructor from the NROI.

https://www.uspsa.org/NROI-policies-guides.php

I have read on these forums that a club does such a thing. They require shooters to get that card to shoot matches. Sounds overboard to me but and it smacks of going against USPSA policy.

Found it: