Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
ronin16

JP GMR-13 Handguard removal

Has anyone had good luck taking off the factory handguard from the stock JP GMR-13? 

It appears there is a proprietary Barrel nut set up they use and my standard Barrel but wrench isn't working.

Going with lighter BCM handguard

Any help will greatly be appreciated thanks ahead of time

You'll need their barrel wrench. They don't supply it with factory built rifles. I called and they sent me one. You'll also need a torch to heat the nut a little. 

I replaced mine with a KMR as well. The KMR barrel nut fits over a pinned MB. For reference a Noveske NSR nut will not. 

If they won't send yiu one let me know and I'll loan you mine. 

Ns

Is it just like their other handguard nuts?  If so, the hard part is spinning the barrel nut while keeping the handguard mount still.  I think the magpul wrench works, IIRC.

Edited by joelogic

For the JP MK III Rapid Configuration Handguard you will need their proprietary wrench. I dont think a Magpul wrench will work. There are set screws that keep the tube from spinning so its easy to index/re-index.

I just picked up a new GMR-13 and don't much care for the hanguard.  Guess I need to call JP to see if they will send me the tool needed to remove it.  

This has been what's kept me from ordering a JP GMR-13; that antiquated handguard and no options on their build page. I went next-best and ordered a JP barrel and bolt, and will be using the Seekins NOXs m-lok on a AP slick upper.

I didn't know the handguard used a proprietary tool, you learn something new everyday!

I took mine off with a Alan wrench and 2 hands... no need for anything special. 

If you look in the handguard at the barrel but there is several different Allen screws. Lossen those and then unscrew the handguard. 

IMG_1887.JPG

11 hours ago, XtReMe90 said:

I took mine off with a Alan wrench and 2 hands... no need for anything special. 

If you look in the handguard at the barrel but there is several different Allen screws. Lossen those and then unscrew the handguard. 

IMG_1887.JPG

Thanks!  I did the same and it did work. How did you get the nut that is behind the hanguard off?  

You need the proprietary barrel wrench to get the nut off.