Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm open gun for practice

k1llapanda

I like Aircooled's solution. My first open gun was 38 SC and while losss of SC brass didn't break the bank, it just seemed to hurt me to lose it. I ended up having it rebarreled in 9. With a 90 degree offset Cmore mount, it runs 100%. And I can leave the brass on the ground. 

41 minutes ago, pbairborne said:

And I can leave the brass on the ground. 

That is the big bonus with shooting 9 major. At matches, brass is usually left to speed the squads through more quickly. Matches are designed to be fun. The last thing you want is to have that additional stress of losing your brass. With 9mm, who cares!!!

cool i will definately try getting some loads from some buddies out ere for 9 major and see if i can run em throuhg my gun. i know my rusty kidd viper has issues with non major pf and i have never ran any 9 through the brazos. i am enjoying all the feedback thanks everyone.

12 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: The brass for $22/1000 is processed and shipped. I just pick mine up at the ranges around here for free. Thanks, Eric

Me too!  I've never paid for a piece of 9mm brass and my collection is constantly growing; when I shot 38 I bought every piece and it dwindled every time I shot.

I'm a member of an indoor range where reloaders are few and far between so I scoop up some fresh brass when I show up, then shoot and leave mine behind.

7 hours ago, ano said:

Im the rangemaster, all your brass... are mine

I never pay for 9. 

Yeah, but it is a pain picking up all that brass. I have no issues paying $20/1000 to have handed in a nice bag. Well worth $20 to me :).

yeah feel you on that, I pick what I shoot, but... rangemaster remember?... shooters have to pick brass, and clean the ranges (indoor, one epoxy), I just grab the buckets :D

but I sort through brass, I only shoot 2 headstamps for 9 major. 

19 hours ago, abb1 said:

Yeah, but it is a pain picking up all that brass. I have no issues paying $20/1000 to have handed in a nice bag. Well worth $20 to me :).

I agree.  I just ordered 3000 cleaned and processed brass for $22/1000 shipped, just to have some on hand.  $10 for 3000 isn't worth the trouble to me.  The box is full of floor sweepings from the local indoor range.  It contains cases other than 9mm, so you have to cull them.  Then you have to sort then to get rid of the Al cases, smashed cases and the crimped primers.  Then you have to clean and process them.  It's not worth the effort.  By the time you are done you have about 2000-2400 usable cases, and you spent hours of time getting them.

I'd rather collect 9mm from the club range.  All I'll have to do is put the word out that I want 9mm once-fired from Sigs and the like, and I'll have half dozen people saving brass for me.  I buy my 40sw brass already cleaned and processed for $30/1000 shipped.  9mm is $118 for 5k, shipped.  When I was down to my last 2000 45 ACP RP cases, I ordered 4000 more at $85/1000.  I now have enough same head stamp bullseye cases to last the rest of my life.  They all come ready to load, so all I have to do is dump them in the case feeder.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I agree.  I just ordered 3000 cleaned and processed brass for $22/1000 shipped, just to have some on hand.  $10 for 3000 isn't worth the trouble to me.  The box is full of floor sweepings from the local indoor range.  It contains cases other than 9mm, so you have to cull them.  Then you have to sort then to get rid of the Al cases, smashed cases and the crimped primers.  Then you have to clean and process them.  It's not worth the effort.  By the time you are done you have about 2000-2400 usable cases, and you spent hours of time getting them.

I'd rather collect 9mm from the club range.  All I'll have to do is put the word out that I want 9mm once-fired from Sigs and the like, and I'll have half dozen people saving brass for me.  I buy my 40sw brass already cleaned and processed for $30/1000 shipped.  9mm is $118 for 5k, shipped.  When I was down to my last 2000 45 ACP RP cases, I ordered 4000 more at $85/1000.  I now have enough same head stamp bullseye cases to last the rest of my life.  They all come ready to load, so all I have to do is dump them in the case feeder.

that all made me sad shootin SC