Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm open gun for practice

k1llapanda

so i have 2 open guns. both are 38 SC. i dry fire a little  but would really prefer to shoot at the range. but i am too poor for that. i may have a friend that wants to trade his 9 for my sc, so i am taking this in as a possibility.

i would be trading  for the fact that i could have a gun to practice with that isnt as expensive to shoot, but am worried it might be less beneficiary to me in the long run switching to a diff shooting gun then i am shooting  (9mm minor loads for practice and 38 sc Major for matches)

what do you guys think?

thanks for the input and merry christmas everyone

Ask yourself these questions.  

Can you tell the difference between your 2 open guns now?  

Are the triggers exactly the same?

Does the recoil feel exactly the same?

Do you prefer one over the other?

Every gun you shoot will be somewhat different, even if made by the same gunsmith.  What you are proposing is to switch to a completely different gun and load (minor).  The feel of the gun will be different, the dot tracking will change, the recoil impulse will be different.

If you want to buy a 9 Open gun, do it.  Just don't kid yourself that it will help you shoot the SC gun better.

6 hours ago, k1llapanda said:

so i have 2 open guns. both are 38 SC. i dry fire a little  but would really prefer to shoot at the range. but i am too poor for that. i may have a friend that wants to trade his 9 for my sc, so i am taking this in as a possibility.

i would be trading  for the fact that i could have a gun to practice with that isnt as expensive to shoot, but am worried it might be less beneficiary to me in the long run switching to a diff shooting gun then i am shooting  (9mm minor loads for practice and 38 sc Major for matches)

what do you guys think?

thanks for the input and merry christmas everyone

Why 9 minor?  Cost?  It's the cheapest to shoot (by about $30/k), but if you're "poor" maybe you shouldn't be shooting Open at all, as it's probably the most expensive division.  

The only way I would really consider this deal as if I was going to get out of 38 SC all together and go strictly 9mm major for open. But that would involve either some horse trading or possibly buying another gun for a back-up. Everyone I know that shoots 9mm major never picks up brass. They just buy more when they run out of it. 

I get 99% of my 38SC brass back in practice. I mark my brass and I am usually able to buy back most of what I lose at local matches for 7-8 cents a round from local shooters. Some of them even won't take my money and just give it back to me. 

I view anything else I lose at matches simply the cost of shooting open. And really, it doesn't work out to very much money over the course of the year. 

Imho, Taco2000 is right.

Hello: Rebarrel one of your pistols for 9mm. Then if you decide you don't like 38 or 9mm you can switch back or rebarrel the other in 9mm. For practice you will get your brass back. In a match most likely you won't get all your brass back. One pistol with 2 barrels is the route I would take till you decide.  Thanks, Eric

I don't think switching back and forth between a 9 and 38 is any big deal as long as both are at major power factor. I do find I get some specific benefits from practicing at times with minor/steel loads, but only as a change up and not as standard practice. 

Cost downside of Super brass for me really just falls on what would be lost at matches.  Ignoring brass the 9 and 38 loadings cost exactly the same minus fractions of cents in powder which can shift the cost benefit to one or the other.  So practice ammo is equal in cost between the two. I shoot 9 and still pick up everything I shoot in practice and load it again and again after inspection. 

thanks guys. lots of good replies and info. i was leaning towords dont do it. but wanted to see what people  thought. seems like i will probably just stick with the 38 sc. i have always debated the topic with myself  or just even the loading minor in my sc.   

i think because i have been trying to shoot a lot of L2 and L3 matches which generally are lost brass i have just been getting sad. especially with berrys steel open, area 1 and area 2 all coming along within the same 2 months. just had to order some brass for them and it was a sad moment for me.

but the erection i get shooting open is too great to not shoot it. i think i just wanted to hear it from a group of somewhat respectable peers:rolleyes: thanks guys for the responses and info

k1, I sympathize.  Most of the matches I shoot are designated as "lost brass" when you sign up.  The two that aren't are effectively lost brass, because you are not allowed to pick up brass during the match.  If you want to scavenge brass, you have to wait until the match is over and everything is torn down before you start.   So I just grin and bear it.

53 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

Try a few 9mm Major loads in each gun.  Many people shot/shoot 9mm in their Super guns with no problem.  If you find one - or both - to work OK with the 9mm then just shoot it.

+1

Eric, 9mm once fired is $10 per 3000 around here.  You are overpaying unless it is processed.