Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited 10 ( i know its kind of a bummer) caliber question

KrymSIX

Hey guys, I live in MA so 10 round laws mean only L10 no true Limited. So I'm looking to get into a Limited 10 gun and my main question is there any advantage or disadvantage to certain calibers in Limited 10 that is more pronounced than in Limited? Or is there less of a penalty for larger caliber rounds as you're not losing on the capacity front. Do .45 and 10mm become more viable? 

Part of my reason for asking is that sometimes you see some great deals on 45 and 10mm Limited guns online but for Limited division the undisputed king is .40 sw. Is it worth maybe picking up whatever is a good deal that may be in 45 or 10mm or just saving the bit extra to get a .40 sw Limited gun? 

Thanks guys

Edited by KrymSIX

yep, if you're committed to the 10round division then you loose nothing by having a gun in something that can be scored major.

only thing you might take into consideration is will the savings on the gun be offset by a greater ammo cost? are replacement and tuning parts as available?

but i think the generic answer to your question is yes, other choices do become more viable when you really are just at 10 rounds.

When I shoot L10, I use a SS legal 45.  Just cause I like them.  I do agree with the bigger holes opinion too.  I reload and pick up my brass and cost difference is a moot point for me.  So I would shoot what you want, it will work.  If L10 was more popular in my area, it would be all I shot, while it is looked down upon by some, it is my favorite division to shoot.

Good Luck

So would a .45 be a better option than 10mm for impact holes/line cutting? Or is that a moot point? Would semi wad cutters run ok in a double stack magazine? Looking at maybe a Tanfoglio Hunter as a way to get into Limited 10 on the less expensive side. 

Krym,  I shot L-10 for years with a single-stack and did fine.  The classic 1911 of course leaves.45 caliber holes!   As magazine capacity grew, the smaller calibers just made more sense.   If the pistol  you are shooting a single stack, I would say .45 and never look back.  If you go with a high cap gun, the forty probably makes better sense.  In my experience the single stack is very reliable in .45.   Remember, it the feeding geometry of the fat .45 ACP that John Browning design the pistol around.   In my experience, double stacks seem to run more predictably on smaller diameter rounds, since they don't need to transverse as far laterally to line of with the feed ramp.   So, I generally recommend single stack .45 hi-cap .40. 

Hope this helps, -Sam

I would throw the CZ 97 into the mix for a solid L10 gun as well, 10 rd mags from factory, silly accurate, almost no recoil, easily tuned by anyone who who knows CZ75 or using CGW kits.  Never did find a magwell for it though....

On 12/27/2016 at 8:21 AM, Shmella said:

I also live in MA. Go to any match in MA and there will be much more limited shooters than Lim10.. Just saying. I am shooting Open next season. Not open 10...

I'm not looking to get into hunting down pre ban mags and paying a huge premium either. I'm also aware that I'm not going to be challenging any top tier shooters anytime soon. So even if i could get hi caps with some exemption to our idiotic laws in this state I still might be ok with getting a gun in a .45 if its significantly less expensive than the same gun in 9mm or .40. 

I don't handload (yet) so the benefits of .40 would largely be lost on me at present. 

Thanks for all of the advice guys. Really appreciate it.

I would rule out the 9mm for L10, you are stuck in minor power factor which is a scoring disadvantage. The reason Limited shooters shoot 9 in non restriction states is that they can get more rounds in the magazine (23 in 9mm vs 20 in 10mm). If you don't handload then .45 is easier to find "store bought" ammo that makes Major PF. Of course if you shoot all Alphas, there is no scoring disadvantage to any PF. Just buy the gun you want at the price you want, then practice and shoot all Alphas. I wish you luck and clear thoughts on your choice.

Edited by Bkreutz