Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scale for reloading

Eric1231

I'd suggest (I've done it, myself) to get The Cheapest Scale you

can find that you know how to use.    :)

IFF you know how to reliably read a beam scale, they're

usually less expensive than an electronic scale.  BUT, If You cannot

read a beam properly, easily, then the electronic scale would be a

wise investment for you.

The scale merely gets you in the ball park - loads are not usually cast

in stone - you don't need to throw 6.3 grains, necessarily.   You want

to load some 6.0, 6.2, 6.4 and then CHRONO them.

Your chrono is really much better than your scale to set your powder

throw.

(Unless you're shooting precision loads) :) 

I've been using a $30-40 Lyman digital for almost 10 years now. It's always done the job just fine.

Biggest too I can give you in accurate measuring is to use individual drops to get close to the charge weight you want... then take 5 to 10 drops, put them in the pan together, and average them.

Even a cheap scale is quite accurate when used this way. And as long as you're always using the same powder measure and scale and you chronograph your ammo, you'll never have much trouble working up a load.

I've had several electronic scales, expensive and cheap ones. They all exhibit the same flaw, pick up the pan and set it back down on the scale, multiple times and it will display a different weight value each time. Learn to use a balance beam scale. You can trust them!

On 12/25/2016 at 10:46 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

I've been using a $30-40 Lyman digital for almost 10 years now. It's always done the job just fine.

Biggest too I can give you in accurate measuring is to use individual drops to get close to the charge weight you want... then take 5 to 10 drops, put them in the pan together, and average them.

Even a cheap scale is quite accurate when used this way. And as long as you're always using the same powder measure and scale and you chronograph your ammo, you'll never have much trouble working up a load.

Which Lyman do you have?  I started out with the XP1000, and bought a Dillon beam scale when I realized the Lyman was flat out inaccurate at the low end (it can't accurately measure a single pistol charge), and drifted over the course of a single reloading session.  I use the Lyman to get my charges in the right ball park, and then do all the fine tuning using the Dillon scale.

Edited by njl

Obviously they all work.

I like two. Electronic for when I'm changing & adjusting & beam for when adjusting is complete & I am checking the occasional powder throw. 

I'm overly fussy about things so I like being able to check scale vs scale (you can accomplish the same task with a made or purchased test weight) and I like the higher dollar beam scales just because I am old and do not like plastic tools when I can avoid them. Finding a means to set the beam scale at most convenient elevation is handy too. 

6 hours ago, njl said:

Which Lyman do you have?  I started out with the XP1000, and bought a Dillon beam scale when I realized the Lyman was flat out inaccurate at the low end (it can't accurately measure a single pistol charge), and drifted over the course of a single reloading session.  I use the Lyman to get my charges in the right ball park, and then do all the fine tuning using the Dillon scale.

I would have to go look - but I just checked. It was bought in 2008 and they don't make it anymore.

Not matter what scale you buy, a set of powder check weights is a must for piece of mind imo

+1. I have both beam and electronic and consider the scale the most important piece of reloading gear I have. Prefer electronic but occasionally use the beam for precision rifle. Dillon, RCBS, Hornady, etc all worked fine for me but I prefer RCBS. Going too cheap is just asking for trouble even with a good set of weights.

yup, Gem Pros. The digitals are super cheap today, reliable and accurate. No need to spend more. Good to .015 grains. Figure the average powder hopper is only good to +/- .1 grains, even with a sugar powder.

On 12/29/2016 at 9:37 AM, Livin_cincy said:

I chose the Dillon Beam scale.  I watched videos and liked the three poise and the lettering on the Dillon.  I find it easy to read and quick to settle.

Me too.

Keep it clean and you can't go wrong with a beam.