Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL650 Toolhead Storage Project

Thought maybe i'd share my 650 toolhead storage project with you.  I'm sure i'm not the only one who has toolheads sitting on bins or laying around.  I bought one of the original Dillon toolhead holders years ago, and never really cared for it.  I was going to make it out of wood, but then redesigned it and made it out of 10 gauge plate.  The wall brackets are 14 gauge.

I wanted the toolheads off the bench and out of the way.  So, after trying a few different sizes, I settled for  five positions, .  The plates are spaced so that there is plenty of room to slide the toolhead in and out without any resistance.  I had them powder coated a nice matte black and used stainless steel and aluminum hardware.

I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out.:)  I didn't add a slot for the shell plate, or the holes for the pins, because I like to put all my conversion parts back in their original boxes.  

This is what I came up with.  Quite heavy duty, and It holds them nice and secure out of the way!  I think I will work on a 550 Rack next.Angled Front View Wall Mount.jpgEnpty Angled Front View Wall Mount.jpg

Edited by WideOpenThrottle

25 minutes ago, PPGMD said:

I am doing something similar. Except it is via the post hole in the center. I got a question though, are there any tool heads that are much longer below the tool head than others?

I think the limiting factor is the sizing die.  The sizing die is usually set so that it is touching or barely touching the shell plate.  None of the other dies can be adjusted lower than that.  The powder funnel is the only other part that sets lower.  But the powder die is usually above the sizing die,and the funnel has a bit of room to move inside the powder die.  Of course the decapping pin sets a bit lower than the bottom of the sizing die.

Under view of 3 rack.jpg

HTH

BRC

added picture

Hey, Thanks for all the nice comments!

I originally talked to my powder coater about blue.  It probably wouldn't have been an issue to do them in Blue, except for the cost.  And, he would have had to order the correct color.  He shoots the matte black a couple times a week, which keeps the cost down.  And I was anxious to get them done.  It is kind of funny though, I'm still using the prototype I made.  And it is unfinished bare metal.  I could use paint, but the finish wouldn't be nearly as nice, or as durable as powder coating.  

1 hour ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

These are really nice. Better watch out inline fab or Dillon don't get this idea because you'll sure as hell see them on a website soon. Could be a nice little side deal for your extra shooting cash. ? 

That is a risk I suppose. Inline Fab and Dillon already has their own line of toolhead holders.

The way I see it, people will either want to buy them or they will just copy them.  I  make them here at home, in my shop, and only outsource the powder coating.  Most people don't have the capabilities at home to make their own.  :ph34r:

Thanks for the complement!

13 minutes ago, redford1 said:

Waiting for the 550 designated price list. They do look fine

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words.

I"m working on the drawings now, should be ready to cut tomorrow.  If I can get them to the coaters before the end of the week, they should be done sometime late next week.

The coaters are always the wildcard.  

BRC