Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Storage Container Ideas?

38SuperDub

In the process of building a new reloading bench and curious how people store / sort brass?  I have a ton of brass in a bunch of random boxes - I'd like to organize them in a clean looking / easy to see qty way.

Please post some pics of how you store brass.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go by the bakery dept in local grocery store (I use Kroger's) and ask if they have any throw away tubs.  They come in a number of sizes, I find the 2gal and 4gal to be the most handy.  Also get the lids as they seal quite well.  Best of all - they are free.  You might have to make a few trips as they don't throw away the tubs every day but if you ask nicely they may save some for you.

I use clear plastic pretzel containers.  Sold at SAMs and other big box stores. About six inch square and 20" tall with a screw on lid.   At my office this was a break room treat and I kept and cleaned all the containers.  One holds about 1500 9mm cases or a little over 1000 45 ACP.  I have them marked by caliber and dirty if it is untumbled or clean if they are ready to load. 

Because they are square they stack nice and neat and it is easy to see the contents. 

image.jpeg

I use this

https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-16248006-Medium-Titanium-Inserts/dp/B002BA5F0M/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1482686072&sr=8-9&keywords=sterilite+plastic+storage

fill them up and stack'm, and the container above it does not touch the plastic container below, as it sits on the brass in the tray

i've used acro bins and plastic containers with lids before and the weight of the brass eventually damaged them

On 12/24/2016 at 6:33 PM, Rustygun said:

I use clear plastic pretzel containers.  Sold at SAMs and other big box stores. About six inch square and 20" tall with a screw on lid.   At my office this was a break room treat and I kept and cleaned all the containers.  One holds about 1500 9mm cases or a little over 1000 45 ACP.  I have them marked by caliber and dirty if it is untumbled or clean if they are ready to load. 

Because they are square they stack nice and neat and it is easy to see the contents. 

image.jpeg

For their first several years each, our kids drank a lot of juice, which came in jugs probably not quite as big as these...but with much smaller mouths :(

I used those for pistol brass, and have quite a collection on a shelf unit in the garage.  They also don't stack :(

I recently bought a bunch of those Sterlite plastic boxes with lids with the idea of migrating to them.  I don't think I bought enough.  I have started using the bigger ones to hold clean brass, but haven't dumped all the jugs into them yet.   Dirty brass goes into used 5G buckets I got for free, one per caliber.

On 12/24/2016 at 9:31 PM, 78Staff said:

I use Home Depot 5 gal for unsorted/unprocessed, and move to Sterlite 6qt. containers with latches for cleaned brass...  $1.99 at Target.

l5Md9LN.jpg

I also use the Sterilite containers pictured here. Another tip I noticed was the use of labels on the containers. Get a label maker from Office Depot to label all your containers.  My OCD thanks me every time I look for something.

The olive green military ammo cans are cheap enough now and are sturdy and also waterproof if you verify the rubber gasket. Easily hold several thousand pieces. I have used an even dozen purchased for $80 about10 years ago without any problems or drama. = about .60 cents cost each per year so far.

On 12/25/2016 at 0:29 PM, Sarge said:

My daughter has cats. I like to buy the litter and keep the big square pales. They stack neatly and hold around 10k 9mm brass each. I have 6 under my bench. :ph34r:

Hahaha I thought I was the only one.  Kitty litter buckets work great. I'm getting to the point now where I have too many and I'm giving them away. Good quality buckets and it's something I get all the time. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2016 at 3:38 PM, 38SuperDub said:

In the process of building a new reloading bench and curious how people store / sort brass?  I have a ton of brass in a bunch of random boxes - I'd like to organize them in a clean looking / easy to see qty way.

Please post some pics of how you store brass.

I bought three 18 gal bins for my common calibers.  These are filled with clean brass.  I have a 30 gal tub for lose brass.  The plan it to sort range brass that I have collected out and scrap all rifle brass and sell excess 9mm