Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing Pin Woes with New Frontier Bolt

4 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

Mine lasted 7 rounds they are going to send me a new pin and spring, but are out of them now and don't know when they will be getting some back in stock. Does your pin look like this? they wanted pictures so I sent some.

ar%20bolt%20006_zpskanmk9ay.jpg

Just like that. Heard the little nub fly across the garage and hit something.

I have over 1000 rounds on mine.  So far so good.  Couple of buddies who bought from same batch I did have already replaced theirs.  Did I just get lucky or am I on borrowed time?  Time will tell I guess.  But I think I may order some spares.  You know, just in case.

Thinking, if I put the replacement in it will probably do the same thing. So I took .25 off the side that goes against the front of the bolt and took the shaft down so the spring glides free then cut 2 coils off the spring.. It will now launch a bic pin out of the end of the barrel. Yea, yea I know it is not very scientific but it  also pops cci primers every time.

pin%20fix%20001_zpscsvoehpj.jpg

pin%20fix%20003_zpsqc1ocroa.jpg

Edited by usmc1974
12 minutes ago, Frank34 said:

The spring is much stronger than the one that came with the black firing pin.   

IMG_4632.JPG

Do you want the spring,stronger? The end of the replacement looks a little beefier.

Edited by usmc1974

I think there is a point where the spring could be too weak or too strong. I think the one that came with the black pin was too weak or maybe too short. I threw all my black firing pins and springs out so I don't have one to measure. 

9 hours ago, TXMXRACER said:

I have not had a problem with mine so far but looks like I need a spare just in case. Brownells is out of the colt firing pins--where is the best place to pick up a few spares?

I have both a Colt 6951 firing pin and extractor on back-order at Brownells.  Hopefully they will be in stock quickly.

If you are in a hurry, Brownells also carries a CMMG bolt rebuild kit that includes the firing pin, extractor and all pins and springs to rebuild a 9mm bolt.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/parts-kits/repair-parts-kits/ar15-mk9-9mm-bolt-rehab-kit-sku100014674-65677-139040.aspx

Update on mine. I contacted NFA and they asked me to return my bolt, as I mentioned other problems that I had fitting it to my PSA lower. The firing pin channel had a burr in it that I had to ream out, and I filed the bottom of the bolt about .03 as it was hitting the BHO deck and feed ramp of the lower. The upper is a NFA, for what that is worth. Sent it off about the 28th, and got it back with a SS firing pin yesterday. No mention of anything I did to the bolt to get it fixed, which is why they wanted to see it in the first place. Will test fire it as soon as I get around to plowing out the 20 inches of snow on the range road. Sorry 4T2, maybe I got the last pin for awhile.

On 1/8/2017 at 8:40 PM, Frank34 said:

I think the one that came with the black pin was too weak or maybe too short.

I think you are right, It was letting the pin hit the primer way to hard,and snapping the tip off. I went to a Beretta 92 firing pin spring after I modified the firing pin all seems to work now.

Edited by usmc1974
36 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

WOW!  I do think the spring was very weak.too. Letting it slam into the primer and back of the bolt.

Yeah. They sent a new spring, but it was obviously bad material or the treatment went wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have a CMMG bolt, not a NFA.  Firing pin broke after about 1000 rounds or so.  very little dry firing.  I was very happy with the CMMG parts in my build until the FP broke.  I've never had a firing pin break in any of my firearms, this after 25 years of shooting... 

Is it common for 9mm AR's to break firing pins like this?

broken firing pin with primer flow.jpg

I noticed on NFA's website that they state:

"**NOTE:  Many Aftermarket drop in triggers use modified hammers which may not reset properly, or hit the firing pin square on the carrier which could cause firing pins to bind and snap.  We recommend using only MILSPEC hammers with any 9mm, .40, or .45 blow back bolt carrier groups."

I haven't seen this mentioned in this thread and I'm wondering if some of these problems are caused by the trigger / hammer.

Edited by vinconco