Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LnL AP - Case OR Bullet feeder?

TitoR

While I wait for my explosives permit to arrive (yes, needed in Puerto Rico to buy powder), I am researching best setup, at a reasonable cost, to load 9mm ammo in a time efficient manner (I have 4 Kids). I'll be loading for cost reduction with coated lead bullets.

So, based on a Hornady AP, what would increase production more: adding a case Feeder or a bullet feeder? I cannot add both at this time.

For case Feeder - Hornady - $400

For bullet Feeder - Mr Bullet Feeder - $400

So, price is not a factor.

This my planned setup:

Hornady LnL AP in 9mm

Hornady taper crimp 3 die set

RCBS lockout die

PTX for powder drop

St 1: resize & decap

St 2: powder drop & case mouth expand

St 3: lockout die

St 4: bullet place

St 5: seat & crimp

Other considerations: I will be loading 308 and 223 in the same press, but not fully progressive. So which Feeder will be easier to bypass and work around?

am a newbie, so any other recommendations or suggestions welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Case feeder.  There are several tweeks to flawless operation on 9mm.  Put a 'Kicker' in the feed bowl to prevent cases that are not in a slot from causing a problem.  Narrow the width of the funnel below the feed bowl opening to prevent cases falling in sideways and blocking the path.  Add a piece of plastic tubing around the final drop tube to keep cases from bouncing off the plate.

Look at the pictures in this thread: 

My experience with the RCBS lockout die is that it will allow a low charge on 9mm( I have a bulged barrel to prove it). So avoid low charge weight powders like Clays or Bullseye and use something that fills the case at least half way.  I do use it for every case I load, but I changed from trying to get the cheapest(least powder) loads to something in the middle of the range.  YMMV.

Paul Beck

Edited by paul788
More info and pictures to illustrate

Paul, thanks for the advise with regards the RCBS lockout die. The only powder available in PR is titegroup. I'll be loading Bayou 147g bullets with it at 3.1 - 3.3gr. So, should I forgo the lockout die in favor of the hornady powder cop?

On the feeder, I do not mind tinkering and adjusting, so thanks for your insights on how to fix it.
So, if I go the case Feeder way, how do I bypass it to load 223? Do I need to disassemble to allow clearance to hand place the brass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can just remove the tube and dropper assembly to hand feed brass. Doesn't take too long just a few minutes.

I agree that the case feeder will speed you up more, but found loading 9mm in the LNL w casefeeder to be a PITA over all. That said, I didn't tweak the casefeeder to the extreme as others have.

Now have a 1050 for 9/40 and use the LNL for everything else.

Get the case feeder and skip the powder check. Since you'll be placing bullets by hand, get a good press-mounted light and you'll be visually verifying the powder level in each case right as you're placing the bullet on top of it.

If you're worried about the four under-age distractions running around preventing you from visually verifying each powder level, the Dillon powder check works on any press and seems to be more consistent and easier to use in practice than the alternatives (RCBS not terribly accurate, Hornady requires visual verification, etc).

As to switching from pistol to rifle, you can either buy the conversion kit to feed the rifle brass or you can disable the feeder and drop each rifle case by hand in the tube. Just need a small dowel or something to stop the case feed block rotation. See here: 

I would get the Lee 4 die set so you can separate the seating and crimping operations.

i use a Hornady bullet feeder die on a turret press.  It is simple to drop bullets in the top of the die.  You can drop them in after you set the case.  It holds 6 or 7 9mm.

I also like the visual check of powder.  It ensures you will function.  Double tapping into a stuck bullet is very bad. 

3 hours ago, TitoR said:

So, if I decided to go bullet feeder, will the hornady bullet feed die work with coated lead bullets, like Bayou? A lot of contradictory informations!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, set it up correctly and you will have no issues

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:52 AM, Livin_cincy said:

I would get the Lee 4 die set so you can separate the seating and crimping operations.

i use a Hornady bullet feeder die on a turret press.  It is simple to drop bullets in the top of the die.  You can drop them in after you set the case.  It holds 6 or 7 9mm.

I also like the visual check of powder.  It ensures you will function.  Double tapping into a stuck bullet is very bad. 

I can't say I know its necessary, but I like the idea of a separate crimper.  I have been trying to stick with Hornady dies as much as possible, but in the case of crimping, I am not aware of any other manufacturers that offer a separate crimper.  For all of you who use seater/crimper, except the Hornady dies which I believe are more of a rolled crimp, have the tapered crimps/seaters worked well for you?

On 12/20/2016 at 9:55 PM, TitoR said:

So, if I decided to go bullet feeder, will the hornady bullet feed die work with coated lead bullets, like Bayou? A lot of contradictory informations!!

It will work approximately 80% of the time with any coated bullets.... and as you tinker around with it, you risk ruining the collets inside the die and then you'll have 2 or 3 bullets feeding at a time. Mine is maybe 95% with Acme bullets, but still enough of a hassle that I wouldn't bother with the Hornady. Save up for the Mr Bullet Feeder - buy once, cry once.

Don't bother with the Hornady powder cop die, it's useless. If you can sit and look at a stem popping up in the air, you can look down in the case just as easily. If you want a backup to prevent squibs, get the RCBS lockout die or the Dillon.

Case feeder can be made to be good.... if only it wasn't so friggin' loud!

I only have a bullet feeder die with the feed tubes. I now have little interest in case feeder. Handling brass allows for quick inspection and does not slow you down. I made a board that is 1' x2' with half inch v grooves every 5/8" to lay the bullets out. It will hold 500 bullets and its quick to fill the tubes. I just fill 3 tubes when I reload the primers. I had little problems with hornady bullet feeder die in 40 but still messing with 9mm with coated bullets

I have case feeders on both of mine and sold my bullet feeder as it was more of a hassle than help IMO. The case feeders are not 100% perfect but they more than make up for it when they stop once or twice every 50 rounds just takes a sec to clear the jam no real down time.

I bought the case feeder. It is notoriously finicky. It also struggles badly with long straight walk cases like 357 magnum. 

If it didn't take so long to retune it when changing calibers I'd feel more positive about it. There is a guy on eBay that makes caliber specific drop pivots that supposedly fix a lot of the issues. I haven't tried these yet but I suspect they're a great help  

I cant say 100% certain that I regret buying it. It is nice once you get it up and running. I can say the same about the press in general however. Some days I miss my Lee Classic Turret for its ability to run without drama. 

• 2 months later...

If you run the case feeder you can use the powder cop die.  If you run the bullet feeder it takes up one stage on the press where you would put the powder cop.  I bought a RCBS bullet feeder die with the tubes.  It works really well and it was cheap.  It also allows for a cheap caliber change by swapping inserts inside the die.  The bullet feeder tubes work well but are very slow to load.  Out of curiosity I ran a test loading bullets by hand versus loading the tubes with bullets.  I believe it took me 3 minutes longer to load the tubes with bullets then load 100 rounds, compared to just setting the bullet head hand.  My next upgrade will be a bullet feeder.  I like placing the cases by hand since it allows for a quality check of the cases.  Otherwise I would have to do this prior to loading a case feeder.