Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 accuracy versus Tanfo's ?

IHAVEGAS

Have not been able to find any range reports / load work ups / etc for the shadow 2 , or even add hype on accuracy from the manufacturer. Add hype does say that accuracy should be improved due to construction improvements, but 'should be' does not tell you a lot. 

I am guessing that both guns will be more than plenty accurate for all intended shooting sports, but I am really curious which, if either, will have a measurable advantage. 

Anyone seen (or measured) anything relevant on the Shadow 2? If I had to speculate just based on construction & stock 2 reports (what info I can find) it seems like Tanfo may have an advantage, the other thing is that usually if a product kicks butt in some regard then the add hype people really make a point of talking about it. 

I have a Stock 2 Aus and Shadow 2. Both are plenty accurate for Practical shooting sports. The Tanfo however is more accurate out of my two. At 20 yards benched the Tanfo holds a group on of an 1-1.5inchs, the Shadow 2, 2-3inches. 

This is an interesting question.  Has anyone really shot groups with both of these guns to compare accuracy.  I have 2 witness elite limited in 40 and they are very accurate.  With Zero bullets, both guns will shoot under 1.5" at 25 yards for 5 shot groups.  I have shot several groups with both guns that were 1" at 25 yards for 5 shots.  This is bagged off a bench.  The 180 gr Zero fmj is more accurate than the jhp in both guns.  This is using 700X and E3 powders.  I had a Witness stock 1 in 9mm several years ago and it is still the most accurate 9mm I have ever shot.  I've never shot a CZ for accuracy and have not talked to anyone that has.  I'm curious how they compare to the Tanfo's.  I think Tanfo uses Lothar Walther barrels.

10 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

Um EBG3, Jezz that posted above you has shot groups with both guns...

!  I just saw this.  I didn't even see his post when I responded.  I guess the coffee hadn't kicked in yet.  That accuracy fits in with what I see in my Tanfo's; about what I expected with the CZ.

10 hours ago, ARy said:

Bull barrel will usually get the win vs. a gun that rolled off the line with a traditional barrel.

That seems to be what intuition would tell you but I wonder if it is necessarily a real trend in handguns ? 

There are a lot of very accurate traditional 1911's and etc and I'm not aware of bullseye shooters neccesarily showing a preference for bull barrels.

No debate here, just, as I think about it, I dunno.  

5 hours ago, ARy said:

Oh, I actually agree in regards to your point of the 1911. I think they get a little more love and attention than the typical Tanfo or CZ barrel coming of a line. Better QC and tolerances. 

Kind of spins me full circle on the accuracy question.

CZ claims better qc and tolerances with Shadow 2 production, which may have something behind it or may just be add hype. Anecdotal evidence and a very limited test data set (appreciated none the less) says the stock 2 has the edge. 

Am thinking go with "Both are plenty accurate for Practical shooting sports" and fret about something else for the time being anyway. 

On 12/20/2016 at 3:00 PM, Jezz said:

I have a Stock 2 Aus and Shadow 2. Both are plenty accurate for Practical shooting sports. The Tanfo however is more accurate out of my two. At 20 yards benched the Tanfo holds a group on of an 1-1.5inchs, the Shadow 2, 2-3inches. 

Can you take a picture of both side by side? I'd like to see how they are size wise. I'm between these two for my next purchase.

16 hours ago, ARy said:

Plus the Tanfo has a better trigger, now. 

Not sure about that. Perhaps with the bolo interruptor it is getting close to the CZ short reset, but "better"? Nope

Edited by cheby

51 minutes ago, TheChef1 said:

Be a few days unfortunately as im back home for Christmas. Mine won’t be the best to compare as my stock 2 is an AUS version (ie 5inch barrel) so the Shadow 2 and stock 2 are the same length.  Differences are really the grip. The Stock 2 feels more square with the extreme grips. The Shadow 2 to me feels more rounded.  Only other obvious difference (other than the aesthetics) to me it the weight.  The shadow 2 is noticeably heavier.  Some people like that others don’t.

4 hours ago, thompsoncustom said:

Theres a guy on here that can do under 1 1/4in at 50 yards with the p07 and cz 75b from a rest so i would hope the shadow 2 can do atleast that.

Hey, I can shoot one-hole groups at arms length... then write "50yd" on my target and post it on the internet, too. ;)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

But seriously though, offhand, at 50m I can keep em all in the A zone. I always 2/3 high on IPSC targets, so if I do screw up, I'll dump into the largest area of the A and if I do my part I never change my point of aim, from touching to 50m. The gun does that, just like my Shadow did and my Tanfo did. Good enough for me

4 hours ago, slavex said:

But seriously though, offhand, at 50m I can keep em all in the A zone.

When you get to a stage at a match where they really push the distance, or really make the A zone very small, it is a lot more fun if you feel like you have an advantage.

Actually for the hole match if I have got it in my head that I can shoot as accurately as anyone,  I think that helps. 

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

When you get to a stage at a match where they really push the distance, or really make the A zone very small, it is a lot more fun if you feel like you have an advantage.

You mean firing a quick "triple hoper" at it and scurrying off to the next target isn't ideal technique?

4 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Saves a lot of pasters :) 

I don't know about that. The "triple hoper" I tended to lean upon in my early days seemed to frequently generate an RO yelling "1 Charlie, 1 Delta, 1Mike!" 

Seems like firing two well-aimed rounds at the A-zone actually beats squirting three bullets in the direction of the brown thing. 

Who'd have thought?

Edited by MemphisMechanic

5 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I don't know about that. The "triple hoper" I tended to lean upon in my early days seemed to frequently generate an RO yelling "1 Charlie, 1 Delta, 1Mike!" 

Seems like firing two well-aimed rounds at the A-zone actually beats squirting three bullets in the direction of the brown thing. 

Who'd have thought?

Why is the RO yelling "1 Charlie, 1 Delta, 1 Mike" when you only score the two highest hits on most targets (unless the WSB said three hits per paper)?

1 minute ago, GrumpyOne said:

Why is the RO yelling "1 Charlie, 1 Delta, 1 Mike" when you only score the two highest hits on most targets (unless the WSB said three hits per paper)?

Same reason that the shooter is saying "show me where the Mike was at".