Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
James Abram

Need advice on "in ear" hearing protection

I'm looking to move from electronic hearing muffs to electronic "in ear" protection and wanting to know if any of you guys use them. If so, what brand and what you like or dislike about them. If you have used others why did you switch. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Etymotech, got tired of my ears sweating in the summer. Work great, use #10 batteries. 3M also makes rechargeable hearing protection.

Using the 3M Tep -100, work fine for me they are the rechargeable ones, changeable tips also

s-l300.jpg

Edited by terrydoc

I know this isn't what you asked for. I like the SureFire plugs and I throw on my electronic Muffs over them typically when I am up to shoot. 

Go to your local audiologist and see what they can have custom made for you. They are basically fancy hearing aids, so depending on your hearing, insurance may just cover them. I think my set was $500.

keep in mind they tend to eat batteries, so it gets expensive.

On 12/18/2016 at 0:15 AM, James Abram said:

Does anybody have any experience with the Sportear Ghost Stryke? They seem to have good reviews.

I have a pair.  I use them indoors and outdoors.  They work ok, but I'm still looking for better protection at a similar price point.  I'm considering trying the soundgear instant fit.

I have a set of Etymotic plugs. They work well except for a pistol with a comp or a rifle with a muzzle brake. I was shooting in a rifle match I was between a 7mm with a muzzle brake on one side and a 6.5 creedmoor with a brake on the other side, that was to much. With a standard rifle or pistol they have worked fine.    

I have a pair of the electronic in-ear plugs from Ear, Inc.  (EAR Inc.).  Had the molds made at a local match.  They have been great for almost 2 years now.  One note - you can't store them with the batteries in them, or they run down even if the unit is turned "off."  Once I figured that out, battery life has been pretty good.  Also just started shooting an open gun and that is too much for them to handle.  After shooting an outdoor 5-stage match my left ear was buzzing for a day and a half.  Now use over-ear on top of the in-ear units for the comp gun and that works great.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'm still on the hunt and I'll use my muffs until I find something I really like that doesn't break my budget!