Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good gun for Rimfire Open

AzShooter

I'm  going to give Steel Challenge matches a try this year with an Automatic.  I have a Ruger Mark III 22/45.  What upgrades would be good.  I'm thinking of a Volquartsen sear I'm going to replace the current dot with a C-More dot but haven't determined the size of the dot yet.

Anything else I need?

Dot size is somewhat of a personal thing. However after using an 8 MOA dot for years my teammate convinced me to try using 12-16 MOA dots and I have not looked back. Too big for shooting paper but for steel they are the best thing. Plus I have found I could shoot steel with a rimfire as far as 150 yards with it in my Open 10/22 rifle.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

I agree with photoracer on the 16 moa dot size.  I am shooting steel challenge with a c more with the 16 moa dot and it works very well for me.  I am 65 and the eyes are not what they used to be (like many other body parts!)  I worked my way up to the 16 and now have that size on all of my steel pistols.  I shoot 22s (Volquartsen Scorpions with the 4.5 barrel and a com) and find the comp does make a difference.  Good luck on your Sunday match. 

• 1 month later...

I tried to replace the Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) today.  That was fun.

I watched the video from TandemKross and it looked easy so I ordered the replacement from them.  As per  the video I bought a strong magnet to get out the retaining pin.  Magnet is rated at 95 lbs.  Try as I may that  pesky pin would not budge.  I must have watched 5 videos on YouTube on how to remove the pin.  All said use the magnet.  I ordered an Earth Magnet rated at 145 lbs.

I finally saw a video where the guy  used a hammer to smack the side of the barrel and the pin worked it's way out.   Try as I might with my rubber mallet I had no luck.  

I used the handle of my mallet and struck the barrel a number of times very hard. I almost gave up because again the pin would not move. When the wrench don't fit get a bigger hammer.  So I got a bigger hammer with a larger handle and tried again.   After a number of heavy hits the pin finally started to walk out.  I didn't think this simple fix would be so hard.  I only mention this if someone else tries to replace the LCI and the magnet does not work for you. 

Have a spare extractor - or just replace the extractor with an after market.  Getting rid of the LCI is a huge step in improving reliability.  Between those two items and a little polishing here and there the reliability at low temps went WAY up.  In addition to the other goodies mentioned to improve the trigger, I added the speed strip kit and the extended magazine release from Majestic.  LOVE the magazine release, am 'meh' on the speed strip kit. 

On my Mark III the biggest changes that improved reliability were 1) removing the LCI (just left it out); and 2) replacing the extractor.  After doing those 2 things - and staying with ammo that I know will work well - I have 100% confidence in the gun for steel challenge.

BTW - I shoot CCI standard velocity and Federal Automatch almost exclusively due to reliability and availability.