Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom "Couplers"

trying to splice 2 x 31 rounders... do you guys use a short 17round spring in the bottom and a Taccom xtra power spring?  ive tried 2 regular 31 round springs also a combination of a 31 round spring and Taccom and it was causing hangups.  Thanks

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, L9X25 said:

Were you putting the Taccom spring on top?

yes I tried using the taccom extra power on top as they say it clears the splice.  followed the taccom video  but just used a longer bottom (31round mag) and a extra power spring... will try putting it on the bottom.

Edited by ogiebb

For 31+31 I could not get the Taccom spring to lock into the Glock follower (the wire is a larger diameter than the stock spring) so it went on the bottom.

The top spring is a stock spring from the 31 rd Glock magazine.  The spacer between the two springs is from a Glock 17 rd magazine.  Both 31 rd magazines were beveled and deburred.

So far its run 100% in that configuration.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Sometimes, you just have a crap lower and need a feed ramp too. I've seen it happen more often than not......flatland has something going there, we've cut the front of the mag at an angle. A feed ramp can even help more.......those springs are holding up 64 rounds at the start and the presentation to the barrel, which is .200" away has to be right.

I just put together 2 CZ EVO 30 rounders and 2 MPX 30 rounders.......and both are 100%. We did 2 Colt 32 rounders for guy in the shop and right now, it feeds great with 58 rounds, 59 thru 64 are somewhat iffy, but we are going to lower the feed ramp and we suspect he'll be good to go as well. We don't shoot Glock any more due to reliability issues we've had, actually, we do have one guy still shooting a GLock lower.......it runs prrrrreeeetty good, his main issues are ammo related right at the moment, not feeding.

Received my coupler and assembled over the weekend.  I chamfered as per instructions with a file and a finer grit file to remove the excess polymer.  I used the taccom spring to replace the stock glock 33 round spring and a stock 17 round spring and plate.  I placed the 17 round spring in the 33 rounder body with the plastic base plate.  I put the long taccom spring in the 17 round body and assembly was a snap.  I tried per the instructions to put the long spring in the long body and short spring in the short body but trying to get it to close was a nightmare so I did the reverse order as per the youtube video floating around.  It loaded to full 48 round capacity without a hitch and I used it on three stages at USPSA yesterday.  Mag worked flawlessly.  I was on the fence about the whole thing but I'm thrilled it worked out.  I also picked up the Taccom comp and it seemed to be a slight improvement over the stock birdcage but these damn PCC's are just bouncy as all hell.  Mine works so I'm' not going to mess with it, I'll deal with the bounce until I can save my pennies for a JP GMR 15.  Great product Tim!  I'll try to track your squad down at Lucas Oil to say thank you!

JF

Edited by JBOT5000

Thanks guys... was able to make it work I used the taccom spring at the bottom and ground the glock plate completely flat used the stock spring on top .. had a buddy shoot it this weekend on 6 stages and works 100% I appreciate all the help and info.

7 hours ago, RevolverJockey said:

I am thinking about cutting and welding together two metalform mags trying to get around 45 rounds total. Is there a source of long enough springs to make this a reality? Looked at Wolff and they sell a +5% spring for a 32 round but nothing that is extended.

Hello: I don't think there is a really super long spring for the Metalform magazines. You could make a sleeve to go over the ends of the springs and solder it on. Or you could just get a Taylor Freelance base pad to give you 40 rounds or the Taccom coupler to give you 40-65 rounds. Thanks, Eric

I have not had any luck with TF +10 extensions on my ASC or Metal Form mags. The follower bind up and turn my mags into salt shakers. If some one to try them out, I will sell them cheap.

My go-to big stick Colt pattern mag is one ASC 32 rounder and a Metal Form 10rd with a Taccom splice. Gives me 45 rounds and is not overly long.

6 hours ago, RevolverJockey said:

I was thinking about cutting the bottom 4" or so and welding it onto the bottom of a metal form 32 rounder. Kinda thinking of tack welding the spring and extending it the same amount.

Lee

Copied from an old post:

Next, I needed to join the two standard springs together into one long spring. I calculated the spring length to get the same ratio of uncompressed spring length to tube length, cut top and bottom spring to preserve the floor plate and follower connections, and joined the two springs using a piece of brass tubing; I filled the tube with flux, assembled it over the two spring ends, heated the tube and allowed lead-tin solder to flow in and fill the tube. The spring never gets hot enough to lose its temper, and the join is quite robust. 

2 hours ago, L9X25 said:

Does the Taccom 9mm Glock splice come with a long spring, or does it need to be ordered separately?

If you are mating up a 17 + 31 rd Glock mags, the stock springs work just fine.

If you are mating up two 31 rd magazines, use the stock spring on top and the Taccom Extra Power Glock spring on the bottom.  You will need to file down one of the basepad inserts until they are flat to put between the two springs.  Or you can look through the parts drawer and use an unmodified plate from a Glock 17 rd magazine.

Bevel both mag bottoms as recommended and they will run 100% (at least both of mine do).

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 4:03 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

If you are mating up a 17 + 31 rd Glock mags, the stock springs work just fine.

Bevel both mag bottoms as recommended and they will run 100% (at least both of mine do).

Thanks for this clarification.

I ordered the feed ramp and splice kit earlier this week from Taccom and was worried that I didn't order an extra power spring. I also have brand new Glock OEM 31 and 17 round mags headed my way to be used with the splice kit.

Sounds like I will be fine...

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased a PSA Glock AR9 and picked up a Taccom Glock splice to go along with it. Put it together and ran a few rounds thru it before taking it to a match last weekend. Well the splice seemed to be causing malfunctions, at least one a stage, that I couldn't duplicate with any other of my mags (Glock&ETS).  I gave TIm a call at Taccom and he gave me a few things to try including putting a chamfer on the mag follower. He stated that  the sharp edge on the bolt hold open feature on the Glock mag seemed to be hanging up. So broke out my Dremel tool and went to work on the follower. I am pleased to say after my range session today, that I think my issues are solved. It ran flawlessly today after several mag dumps and reloading it to max capacity. Here is a picture of the chamfer from the Taccom Facebook page. Thanks TIm for the tips, and answering the phone personally to help with my issues. He also spoke of the new items coming out soon, including a long spring to replace the 2 springs in the splice. Just take my money Tim....jeezB)

21617777_1855409507810481_6447773937208235612_n.png