Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom "Couplers"

Has anyone experienced major bullet setback when using a splice on a glock 17 and 31rd mag? The gun was running fine with each of the mags before coupling, but out of the first 48 round mag, I had 3 hangups (they chambered slowly, but they chambered) and upon ejecting the unfired rounds, the bullets were set back around halfway into the case. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, thepunishur said:

Has anyone experienced major bullet setback when using a splice on a glock 17 and 31rd mag? The gun was running fine with each of the mags before coupling, but out of the first 48 round mag, I had 3 hangups (they chambered slowly, but they chambered) and upon ejecting the unfired rounds, the bullets were set back around halfway into the case. 

what lower are you running?

13 hours ago, thepunishur said:

What's happening here is that the angle of the projectile in the mag has changed.  With a lower cap mag the bullets are canted nose up and feed well.  As you compress the spring in these large cap mags the nose becomes more horizontal and it rams below the chamber causing setback.  Look at using Taccom's feed ramp, and be cautious until you get it worked out.  I had some setback bad enough to be a real issue.  I would check and see if the OAL is changing on the bullets that do feed as well.  Just so you know what's going on.

It seems that on the less expensive lowers (sorry guys).....anything extended can give you fits. You need to make sure you are running good springs. I'd recommend our feed ramp too. I am NOT a fan of lowering the 'feed ramp' in the barrel as all you are doing is making a steeper ramp. Guy's running JP's and QC10's are not having as much problems with the higher cap mag set ups. I suspect that the glock magazine in those is set different than in the NFA or PSA style lowers.

Tim

PS......we do have an NFA lower in house, polished up the feed ramps, inserted the ramp we have.......runs 100% now

Edited by TRUBL

Hello: I think part of the problem is that some of the Glock lowers have different angles on the magwell. 1 or 2 degrees would make a difference. I have not had a problem with my QC10 Glock lower at all. I have seen that some of the factory Glock magazines have loose plastic flashing inside the tube that causes problems. Thanks, Eric

21 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I think part of the problem is that some of the Glock lowers have different angles on the magwell. 1 or 2 degrees would make a difference. I have not had a problem with my QC10 Glock lower at all. I have seen that some of the factory Glock magazines have loose plastic flashing inside the tube that causes problems. Thanks, Eric

Agreed.......makes a HUGE difference!!

On 6/26/2017 at 6:51 AM, longbeard said:

This.

In PCC division there is no capacity limit. Reloading is not part of that division.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't use that to your advantage.  

currently none of the products available have been reliable enough with my rifle. a ftf or double feed costs way more time than reloading and the factory mags run 100% so far. I added dawson base pads to the factory 31rnd mags and get 35 with new springs and 36 with one that has set. 36+1 is plenty for now.

Edited by Odawgp
2 hours ago, Odawgp said:

currently none of the products available have been reliable enough with my rifle. a ftf or double feed costs way more time than reloading and the factory mags run 100% so far. I added dawson base pads to the factory 31rnd mags and get 35 with new springs and 36 with one that has set. 36+1 is plenty for now.

Not been my experience, but to each his own.  Hopefully it works out for you. 

Dawson base pad on 31 stick yields 37 + Barney. Plenty for make ups and no reloads. 

I changed springs in my taccom splice and did have a ftf. After looking closely, I noticed the floor plate had slipped and gone vertical when I put it together. First time it ever failed me. Appears it's my fault. 

Finally got to test mine out today. 32+20 rounder stuck together. 

zPmSeAd.jpg

Ran 100%, even when loaded to 54 rounds. I tried putting 2-32 rounders together, but the bottom spring flipped on itself and bound up in the lower magazine. Didn't try it again, and figured the only time I'd need more than 54 rounds in a stage is at a hoser match later this year. I'm happy with it. 

The Colt mags are a little hard to seat and I really felt like I was going to damage something when practicing unloaded starts. Besides that, I'm very pleased with the setup.

Hello: I am going back to the Metalform 32 and 20 round setup. I tried the 32 and 32 this past weekend and the mag took a dump. This was with stock springs so I am not sure if I put in the extra power ones it would have worked. For the stages I shoot I only need a max of 45, if I need more than that I am in trouble. Thanks, Eric

To be honest I had all kinds of problems with mine and was about to send it back when I noticed my spring from the 26 rnd MGM Tactical mag was twisting  ( 45acp ) so since Taccom was out of springs I used one from a Kriss extension kit and now it will hold 40 rnds of 45 acp and has been 100% so far!  

Thanks Tim for the tech support and you were right the cheap spring was the problem! 

16 hours ago, NOMADSS said:

anyone have any pics of a 33+33 Splice and what does it measure?

take a 33 round magazine.....measure from the top of the fee lips to bottom of the body (not the bottom of the extension) and double it......that's your answer. If you put two them together, get our 23 coils spring to replace one of the factory springs

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 8:18 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I am going back to the Metalform 32 and 20 round setup. I tried the 32 and 32 this past weekend and the mag took a dump. This was with stock springs so I am not sure if I put in the extra power ones it would have worked. For the stages I shoot I only need a max of 45, if I need more than that I am in trouble. Thanks, Eric

So what luck did you ever have with this coupler 32 rounders?  I want to try one of these.  Probably won't load more than 50-55 rounds.

I have a 32 and 10 round Colt style (ASC 32 and a Metal Form 10) and get 45 reloadable (46 rounds if I start with a open bolt). The 10 round spring has the "captured" bottom plate in the spring so it should keep it from slipping or turning between the two springs.

So far it has ran fine. Shooting it in a Steel shoot tomorrow and see how it does. I have some Wolff extra power springs on order and will replace the old tired springs.

Hello: I am running the 32 and the 20 round mag and have no problems with them. I have not tried the 32 and 32 again since I don't need that many rounds for a USPSA pistol match. I am using the 32 round Metalform mags with the extra power Wolff springs and the Taylor Freelance for most of my shooting. The 20 round mags are working well also with the old 32 round springs and the Taylor Freelance base pad with 25 rounds in those. I really don't like the really long mags for most stages but when needed it is nice to know that they work. Thanks, Eric

I got one to use with my PSA Colt mags. I connected two 32 rounders because that's all I own.  At first the free spring was somehow getting past the floor plate attached to the other spring.  I played with it a bit and got that figured out, but then either the floor plate or follower, or both are dragging.  I beveled both a little bit, but they're still dragging.  

I eventually quit, because you need at least three good, working hands and I only have a bum finger on one hand.  I'll try again later this week, but if anyone has any idea on what to do about the dragging follower I'd be all ears.

Thanks

Edited by Dannybot
38 minutes ago, Dannybot said:

I got one to use with my PSA Colt mags. I connected two 32 rounders because that's all I own.  At first the free spring was somehow getting past the floor plate attached to the other spring.  I played with it a bit and got that figured out, but then either the floor plate or follower, or both are dragging.  I beveled both a little bit, but they're still dragging.  

I eventually quit, because you need at least three good, working hands and I only have a bum finger on one hand.  I'll try again later this week, but if anyone has any idea on what to do about the dragging follower I'd be all ears.

Thanks

get a 20......connect the 32 and 20

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to help a buddy get his coupler with 2 X 33 glock mags running.  We used 1 regular spring and 1 32 coil spring then we tried 2 23 coil springs.  Rounds still are angled to low towards the lip of the mag.  So I know they wont feed after 8-10 get removed it looks like it will run then.  We are still using the wedge looking follower that comes in the 33 round glock mag. 

We chamfered both mag bases extensively but just still cant get it.  Anyone have any tips for a 2 x 33 glock mag

would be nice to get them 63 rounds of greatness

2 hours ago, NOMADSS said:

Trying to help a buddy get his coupler with 2 X 33 glock mags running. 

For matches requiring lots of rounds, I put together 2 - 33 rd Glock magazines with a Taccom splice.   

I beveled the bottoms of both magazines and smooth the edges of any burrs.  For springs I use a one of the springs from the Glock 33 rd magazine and an extra powder spring also from Taccom.  The extra power spring is slightly larger diameter than the stock spring and would not click into the Glock follower.  In the magazine, I put the stock spring on top (since it would click into the follower) and the extra power on the bottom.

I got to use it to its full potential this past weekend.  We had a match that consisted of 25 metric targets on each of the five stages.  Scoring was one "A" hit or two hits anywhere to neutralize.  The magazine had run 100% in several practice sessions so I went into the match with high expectations.  The magazine did not disappoint.  I used it on all five stages with no malfunctions.

Changing out your springs should solve the problem.  Do not overtighten the screws on the splice and occassionally check to see that they are still tight.  They do work loose after a while.

Bill

Edited to add:  Now that the springs are broken in a bit, its now 64 rds of greatness.

Edited by Flatland Shooter
5 hours ago, NOMADSS said:

Trying to help a buddy get his coupler with 2 X 33 glock mags running.  We used 1 regular spring and 1 32 coil spring then we tried 2 23 coil springs.  Rounds still are angled to low towards the lip of the mag.  So I know they wont feed after 8-10 get removed it looks like it will run then.  We are still using the wedge looking follower that comes in the 33 round glock mag. 

We chamfered both mag bases extensively but just still cant get it.  Anyone have any tips for a 2 x 33 glock mag

Yeah......thats your problem.......the wedge looking internal locking plate is a no no in its present form and locks up in the magazine.......shave down the sides and front to be as flat as the plate on a 17 round mag.

Chamfers and don't the screws

Edited by TRUBL