Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom "Couplers"

It looks like Taccom will be offering the following:

https://taccom3g.com/product/glock-magazine-coupler/

I have an email in to Troy to clarify the legality of said devices under USPSA rules. I am of the opinion that these would not fall under "magazine holder restrictions", which is where the current prohibition on "couplers" is found.

I have yet to run a 36 round mag dry in a USPSA match, but these (also available for Colt/Uzi and other platforms as well) would be perfect for the outlaw matches I sometimes attend. It looks like the Glock platform will finally have a really big stick option!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't see any legal issues as you are basically just adding a base pad to your magazine. That base pad might be made from another magazine, but can't be used separately as a magazine.

Only problem I see with the Taccom idea is the need for a new spring. I don't see that mentioned or offered to go with their coupler.

8 hours ago, MikeRush said:

It looks like Taccom will be offering the following:

https://taccom3g.com/product/glock-magazine-coupler/

I have an email in to Troy to clarify the legality of said devices under USPSA rules. I am of the opinion that these would not fall under "magazine holder restrictions", which is where the current prohibition on "couplers" is found.

I have yet to run a 36 round mag dry in a USPSA match, but these (also available for Colt/Uzi and other platforms as well) would be perfect for the outlaw matches I sometimes attend. It looks like the Glock platform will finally have a really big stick option!

I just sent a note to Taccom suggesting they rename the product to "Magazine Extender". ;)

6 hours ago, mscott said:

I wouldn't see any legal issues as you are basically just adding a base pad to your magazine. That base pad might be made from another magazine, but can't be used separately as a magazine.

Only problem I see with the Taccom idea is the need for a new spring. I don't see that mentioned or offered to go with their coupler.

I totally agree.

My guess on the spring is that someone will make them, or it will be a DIY joining solution which was shown in the Glock drum mag thread a few days ago. 

1 hour ago, MikeRush said:

They really should.

Apparently the word "coupler" is a trigger for some people. 

That's because couplers are ruled not legal in PCC?

Rename it to something else. I guess it similar to welding two colt mags together?

2 hours ago, MikeRush said:

I totally agree.

My guess on the spring is that someone will make them, or it will be a DIY joining solution which was shown in the Glock drum mag thread a few days ago. 

Tim sent me the instructions for the coupler and you are using the stock springs. You simply sandwich an internal follower between the two sections. Not sure that it's ideal, but I'm assuming they've tried it and it worked. 

https://1drv.ms/w/s!Ap-U6xzJcnpGj0SCoqFZC5vwEbPO

Edited by mscott

Hi, Mike.

As long as it's one "stick", it's good to go.

It's a novel idea, especially with using the magazine springs from each one instead of having to have a whole new spring and follower set.

Have you tried it?  I'd be interested in the results.

Regards,

Troy

Yep.....you use the factory springs.....works great.......you use one internal floor plate between the springs......making it act like one long spring.

The have been working great for the 4 couplers we have out. And yes, these are legal for USPSA, talked with Mike Foley about it this morning......you are essentially using one mag as an extension.

We already have a number of these out in the field and they have been rock solid functional, as long as the mag and springs worked before, they will work in this configuration.

Tim

Edited by TRUBL
35 minutes ago, Mulligan03 said:

My biggest problem is why use them.. imo they look stupid with coupler.. and why would you need that many rounds for one stage? 

Level 1 matches aren't limited to the 32 round max for major matches. We regularly have stages here at some matches that are 40+ rounds. Yesterday we had up to 41 round stages. With some steel, even the +10 extensions aren't enough. 

I'm interested in the "couplers", but would like to see some reviews of them being used at matches before I try one.

19 hours ago, Mulligan03 said:

My biggest problem is why use them.. imo they look stupid with coupler.. and why would you need that many rounds for one stage? 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......however, not many inexpensive options out there if you need more than 42 rounds for a COF, and not have to worry about doing a reload.  :ph34r:

17 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

No rule was added - just a correct interpretation of the long-established handgun mag rule.

You are right. I was considering the addition of section 14 to the September version of Appendix D8 as a "new" rule as it was the addition of a magazine location restriction but it really is just applying 5.2.4 to the new platform.

Honestly I would prefer couplers to be legal as they are in multigun, but nobody is asking me so I will just keep reloading from my belt. I should get very good at mag changes with PCC10 on the horizon. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Southpaw said:

Has anyone tried the coupler with ETS mags?  I'm thinking a 31 + 22 round mags might be a nice compromise between a 17 + 31 and two 31 round mags :)

Got a 31 +17 set up. Holds 45 easy, I haven't felt the need to load more but there's a little wiggle room there. Seats pretty easy and functions fine. Long and heavy though.