Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open gun barrel coating

k1llapanda

hey guys, i am sure this has been covered but i was unable to dig it up in my search.

i have a brazos BCG open blaster. i got it coated (grip,frame,slide, small parts) and i just want to get the barrel done now.  the rest of gun is in cerakote, but did not know if cerakote would be a good choice for a barrel in an open gun. i dont want the barrel to be gone for a long long time as this is my only open gun but if i have to wait i will. 

How do you guys feel about cerakote finish on a barrel? BNi? i know there are many others so any input would help. or link to a thread already started about this.

thanks 

Edited by k1llapanda

4 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

Don't try to cerakote the barrel, not a good idea. 

Uh oh. I had mine cerakoted. What's the issue? It's pretty tight and I'm sure will wear off in places but the gun runs so far.

If you wanted to coat your barrel, I would do so with a titanium nitrate (TiN) as it reduces friction and improves its hardness,  and it looks awesome! I would not go with a cerakote for the barrel. Not that it can't be done, I just wouldn't. 

Edited by abb1

Black nitride is excellent for barrel finishing.  The meat of the process is not a coating so it won't wear off. It's actually increasing the hardness of the surface of the steel which is a very good thing.  Glock's basically been doing this type technique forever and their track record is pretty solid.

Edited by theWacoKid

I know a couple of firms that have been Cerakoting barrels for years.  They cure at 300 degrees.  I think the bugaboo about not Cerakoting barrels centers around fears they will heat to hot and ruin the temper of the barrel.  Shoot a long USPSA stage quickly and your barrel will be more than 300 degrees.