Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
nikdanja

How often do you change springs in gun/mags?

I shot quite a bit of uspsa matches this season and was wondering if I should order all new springs once spring comes. I haven't noticed any funky wear on my sti and all my mbx factory mags still feed just as reliably as when I first got them from the factory. Would you guys go one more season with these springs? 

Every spring in the gun and mags all have 1 seasons wear on them. 

I would leave the springs in for now and change them out prior to your next big match as insurance or when they start getting soft.

New springs are fairly inexpensive. I change mine every year but I shoot a good bit and use all my mags in dry fire loaded with dummy rounds. I change 1-2 springs in my production gun at the same time. It's cheap insurance and I like to control everything I can.  With new springs I know I shouldn't have any trouble with springs. 

Depends on how often you shoot. Every year at least if you don't have issues and change them out beforehand.

Mag springs before major match season, then shoot them all year. If there's an issue or I've shot a lot between major matches I'll change them. Recoil spring maybe every 5000-10000 rounds?

Edited by sstephns

Its a long standing annual ritual.  Every January I switch out the springs on  my guns and mags and change the batteries on the smoke detectors.  Even though springs are cheap, I usually just change springs on mags used for matches.  Practice and dry fire mags can go for years without problems.

Bill

Once a year for most pistols I shoot. Sometimes less if they stay in the safe a majority of the time. 

Recoil spring in full size 1911 5" 45acp every 2000 rounds. Firing pin spring at 3500, mainspring around 6500.
I use flat wire mag springs. Lav said they should wear almost indefinitely

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk