Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bianchi 2017

Chris1911

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read through the 2017 program and found a few takeaways.

-they added Grand Senior as an entire category for the shootoff

-Meanwhile entire gun Divisions that make up over half the field (Metallic, Production) only get a total of 4 each to the shootoff

-Now 32 Open shooters will shoot off compared to 4 Metallic and 4 Production 

-Prizes will only be awarded to these 40, so there is nearly no point in shooting Production/Metallic unless you can shoot a 1900 under pressure, which only a handful of people in the world can do. Naturally, as an 1850 Metallic shooter +/-30, I don't like that prize pool.

I might have to dust off my Open gun and get to practicing. I think I can muster a 1910 and squeak in there if I work at it...but I really don't want to.

I might add, given the lackluster attendance of the special categories last year, we likely won't even fill all 4 of the spots in each of those categories, and if we do, it'll be by people who got it by default.

As a Metallic shooter only it has always been a pain to me that the three classes where not treated more evenly however I have been regularly reminded that the Cup is an open competition. (For example the awards for first senior first timer and international are not separated by class so therefore are pretty much only for Open).   

I had better read this years program. 

OK read it.

"C-4 Championship Awards Championship awards are in the process of being finalized and will be added to the program when completed."

So may be same as last year? We shall have to wait and see. 

Edited by Chris1911
More info found.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:24 AM, RippinSVT said:

Just read through the 2017 program and found a few takeaways.

-they added Grand Senior as an entire category for the shootoff

-Meanwhile entire gun Divisions that make up over half the field (Metallic, Production) only get a total of 4 each to the shootoff

-Now 32 Open shooters will shoot off compared to 4 Metallic and 4 Production 

-Prizes will only be awarded to these 40, so there is nearly no point in shooting Production/Metallic unless you can shoot a 1900 under pressure, which only a handful of people in the world can do. Naturally, as an 1850 Metallic shooter +/-30, I don't like that prize pool.

I might have to dust off my Open gun and get to practicing. I think I can muster a 1910 and squeak in there if I work at it...but I really don't want to.

I just read the program.  Wow, $300 entry fee, no more goodie bags for all the competitors, and only the select 40 get any sort of prize?

Pass.

Kind of a bummer, as I was thinking about maybe shooting it again.

"Never say Never" and 'NEVER' was the answer I heard when I asked Denise "If the new format doesn't get the growth, will you go back to the old one?"

Yes the Bianchi Cup is a thing but so are good shoots. It is the same amount of work to put on a bad shoot as a good shoot. Rule 1. Listen to the shooters. Not just a few hand picked by the NRA. Put on the shoot that the shooters want and the shooters will come.  It will be a lot of work for Green Valley to prepare for only 40 shooters.

1 hour ago, goldfieldshooter said:

It will be a lot of work for Green Valley to prepare for only 40 shooters.

Yeah they might have to open the second parking lot. And you will have one staff member for every shooter.

I just signed up this afternoon.  18 years in a row, I don't want to miss spending a week with all my Action Pistol family.  Kind of like Doug said, as long as we shoot the four Bianchi events I will show up to compete with everyone.

I see that someone at the NRA has looked up the definition of "International" in the rule book.

We are back to a true International Teams event without a jacked up "International USA Team" being able to enter as in 2016. I was amazed they didn't award the 'First International Award' to DK.

• 4 weeks later...

I love the new format. Shoot well and you shoot the match twice. Remember...... It's the National Championship..... The aim is to shoot 1920 or as close to it as you can. If you opt to shoot prod or metallic..... Stop bitching.... You chose it. Maintain the original 4 events. ( Bianchi for me is a standard that you can shoot against the legends of the past and compare your results against historical data and your own personal best )

Be honest with yourselves.... As good as it was with Tom raising the bar, if you weren't in the top 40.... Your prizes sucked anyway, and no one complained. If the "other 260 shooters" depend on goodies bags and random drawings to make this a valuable trip for them..... Then lobby for goodies bags and random drawings. ( I like goodies bags and random drawings too ) Don't bag the match for the top guys, who by the way, have also seen a drastic reduction in awards and prizes. I go because I love shooting the Bianchi Cup. I love the Bianchi Cup....and one day I will win it..... If not, I'm breaking into Kevin's house and taking his?

• 3 weeks later...

In my mind the problem is that they're trying to do too much with the match. Either make it "media friendly", or try to grow the numbers; the two won't work together.

If your goal is to grow the number of competitors entering the match, then costs need to be seen as "realistic"; i.e. more prizes on the table, lower entry fees, better "goodie bags" or any combination thereof. Basically, if you're asking a shooter to give up a week of their vacation and $320, then nowadays, people are going to be asking themselves if it's worth the time and effort.

From what I saw as an observer, they had been going in the right direction and numbers had been increasing (with "celebrity" shooters and the like), but obviously things change and a new direction is being sought.

Making the match "TV Friendly" is, unfortunately, completely in the opposite direction to increasing participation in the event. TV, or similar is only interested in either the winner, or someone with a "story". For example, take the case of Dave*.

Dave had a dog, "Dog Dave". Dave and his Dog used to train every week, with the dream of one day making it to the Bianchi Cup. All year long they would go to the range and practice, Dave and his faithful dog, who would help him fetch targets and reload his magazines. Then one year, Dave finally plucked up the courage and entered the 'Cup, his old dog posting the letter for him.

Then, tragedy hit.

Just a week before the match was due to start, Dog Dave was hit by a truck, putting him into a coma and making his journey to the 'Cup an impossibility. Dave was distraught, he'd only ever thought about going to match with his old faithful friend, how could he possibly manage to go without him?  Our story follows Dave as he shoots each match, each one a personal best, until he only has the Falling Plate Match left to shoot...

After channelling all of his practice (accompanied by some Coldplay and slow-mo black and white images) Dave manages to shoot his first-ever perfect 480 48x, making him weep with joy. Turning around after unloading and clearing his gun, he sees Dog Dave, watching him from the stands, his broken tail wagging with happiness. Cue more Coldplay.

That's how you make it TV friendly!!

*names have been changed to protect those who don't exist

On 2/15/2017 at 8:49 PM, Pin Shooter said:

I love the new format. Shoot well and you shoot the match twice. Remember...... It's the National Championship..... The aim is to shoot 1920 or as close to it as you can. If you opt to shoot prod or metallic..... Stop bitching.... You chose it. Maintain the original 4 events. ( Bianchi for me is a standard that you can shoot against the legends of the past and compare your results against historical data and your own personal best )

Be honest with yourselves.... As good as it was with Tom raising the bar, if you weren't in the top 40.... Your prizes sucked anyway, and no one complained. If the "other 260 shooters" depend on goodies bags and random drawings to make this a valuable trip for them..... Then lobby for goodies bags and random drawings. ( I like goodies bags and random drawings too ) Don't bag the match for the top guys, who by the way, have also seen a drastic reduction in awards and prizes. I go because I love shooting the Bianchi Cup. I love the Bianchi Cup....and one day I will win it..... If not, I'm breaking into Kevin's house and taking his?

Well said. It's the championship. You want a door prize than go to a 3 gun match. For me it's all about competing against the best pistol shooters from around the world and that chance of attempting to win that beautiful shiney cup. 

Don't get me wrong...I don't go to the Cup for any other major reason than to see friends and compete against the very best.  I could truly care less if I get a goodie bag or not, or a $100 participation check for getting 46th in Production.  To me it's about striving for excellence against other excellent shooters.  Last year I was a little pissy they didn't pay out like they said, but that was me mostly venting frustrations with my own performance. I am obviously one of those who've bitched about the breakdown of the finals because to me there are several Cups not just the one with Doug's name on it.  This is why you don't/won't see finalists in the subcategories opting to shoot for the overall in the finals. I don't consider myself to be competing with any Open shooter even if I might beat half of them, it's just not on my radar.  I love shooting iron sights and I am personally competing against myself and the iron sighters, I have no aspirations of shooting a 1920 without an Open gun. At some point I'll meet personal goals in Metallic and move to Open on a full-time basis. I will still maintain that by percentage the gun divisions get the shaft.  Especially considering 50-100% of the folks in some subcategories will qualify by default for finals.  

And when that day comes that I shoot Open full-time, I'm going to pry the Cup out of Itzstein's hands on X-count just as he gets excited about his near-win.

Stealing one from Kevin is also my backup plan.:ph34r:

Also, newsflash boys, the Finals will be clean-slate this year.  Two 1920's, not one 3840.  Gonna really shake things up, I like it!

I would challenge you guys to reread the updated program on the NRA website.  Aside from It being two 1920's and not one 3840, they've also very recently changed the team formatting to include Division/Category teams that can compete with each other as a side paper match.  I probably missed other changes, but I'm not a lawyer and can barely read as it is.:unsure: