Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bcg weights

with all the talk about buffer weights and recoil affecting dot movement, how about a list of bcg weights

I am using a Kaw Valley Precision that they say weights 15.5 oz  will try to get it on a postal scale tonight

what do you have and what does it weight ?

Spinta BCG Weight - 15.55 oz. with rear weight. (12.19 oz. with weight removed set up for JP SCS)

KVP BCG Weight - 15.52 oz. with rear weight (12.16 oz. with weight removed set up for JP SCS)

JP BCG Weight - 13.55 oz. (The JP does not have a removable weight)

Buffer Weights 

JP SCS Gen 2 9MM - 8.56 oz

Kaw Valley Precision - 7.55 oz

Total Weight Combo's

JP BCG + JP SCS = 22.11 oz 

Spinta BCG + KVP Buffer = 23.1 oz 

Spnta BCG + JP SCS = 20.75 oz

KVP BCG + KVP Buffer = 23.07 oz 

KVP BCG + JP SCS = 20.72 oz

CMMG was 15.5 with a removable 3.45 oz weight.

I tried it with the weight and the 5.4 oz 9mm buffer, with the weight and a 3 oz buffer, and without the weight with the 5.4 oz buffer. Those last two combos produced the best results for me. I will probably try to get to a 16 oz combo on the next one. 

Im probably the only one using a rifle length system... I tried several heavy (up to 9oz) buffers and .308 spring, but got some battering of the barrel shoulder.. .now just a standard rifle 5.2oz buffer and rifle length 5.56 spring

Edited by Les Snyder

Hello: I lightened my Matrix buffer to just over 13ozs. It is a lot better with my reloads at 131-134PF. Still playing with buffer springs and buffer weights. It is worth the time to test all of the different parts to find what works best for you. It is the same as bullet weight and loads to suit your type of shooting. Thanks, Eric

RRA bolt is 15.9 oz
RRA buffer is 5.5 oz

I've been using the RRA bolt with a standard carbine buffer (18.9 oz total) and a standard carbine spring without issue. Using 147s that are 135pf out of a pistol but 145pf out of the carbine.

Has anyone reached the point where the bolt was prematurely opening? 

Just an FYI.......the Keltec SUB2000G has a bolt that weighs right in at 16 ounces......no buffer. Seems to be smooth shooting with 115's and 124's and I did try a few 147's as well.

I'm thinking that you might be going down the wrong path with all the heavy stuff. 

Flatland seems to be figuring it out though

Tim

BTW.......I'm running a 2 ounce buffer with a tubbs flat wire with a little additional preload, behind a JP bolt

Edited by TRUBL

So I'll be testing our new build hopefully this weekend. I'll be shooting 147 reloads

Test will be Spinta bcgs @ 15.5oz with a PSA buffer @ 5.5 total 21oz

I'll then try with a carbine buffer ... 18.5 oz total

Then I may go with what Tim is thinking ... Lighter is still the answer ...

Pull the weight from the Spinta dropping it to 12 oz ...

Pulled Spinta + PSA = 17.5oz

Pulled Spinta + Carbine = 15oz

Ill make sure I bring some quarters too to give a little preload (and will help w breaking catches)

Using 147 gr xtreme at 135PF( 3.2 gr wst) I have found that the JP 308 spring and the blitzkreig hydraulic buffer is the best combo so far for me with a Spinta Bcg . I tried it with an AR15 spring; 308 spring and standard buffer; and AR 15 spring and standard buffer and none were as flat as the hydraulic buffer and 308 spring.

i plan to try 165 Xtreme with 2.8 gr wst tomorrow with above combos. I now also have a comp on the gun, which might change things some.

Ok, put the comp on the gun and got significant improvement in dot movement, almost no upward movement, still some side jump. Then I tried some 165gr xtreme fmj  bullets with 2.9 gr WST and got more improvement still. My son was able to do some .11 splits using this combo, I could not duplicate that.

Edited by chuck s
23 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Does anyone know the weight of the JP buffer SCS2-9mm? Not the overall weight which is 8.4375ozs but the actual weight of the moving mass with 3 tungsten weights and one steel weight? I haven't taken the JP buffer apart yet since I am still waiting on the bolt. Thanks, Eric

The SCS2-9mm slider with weights (no rod or spring) weighs 6.4 oz.

The JP 9mm bolt weighs 13.7 oz.

Edited by Cavy
additional info