Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on a new optic?

5-56mm

The p4xi has great glass and yes its daylight bright. It's what the razor would be if it was a 1-4. They are very similar wIth the exception of the magnification. To me it's the best value variable power optic on the market in its price range. 

I second all of this. I use a p4xi for 3Gun and love it. Used to have a Strike Eagle 1-6x but the stadia lines on the reticle were too thick (it's cheaper/easier to illuminate thick lines). The holdover lines were all too thick to be useful at 6x. Switched to the p4xi and it has been night and day. Better glass, nice clean reticle and daylight bright dot. Even though I lost 2x on the top end, I shoot way better at long range with it due to the better glass and more precise reticle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 12/12/2016 at 8:47 AM, MarkCO said:

For a large number of folks, the extra 2 or 3x at the top is going to hurt more than help.  More weight, less eye relief and a smaller FOV at the high mag.  Unless you are consistently shooting targets out past 500 yards, staying at 1-5 or 1-6 is likely a better choice.

A lot of folks miss the fact that proper cheek weld is needed once you are past 4x and few ARs offer that, so you are looking at a stock with an adjustable cheek riser to set it correctly for you.

I agree.  

In terms of reticles that's up to you.  Some guys love a circle dot some just like a dot on the close stuff.  Some like BDC and some like Mils.  I have yet to see proof that either way is definitively faster then the other.

I know I'm always faster using what my eyes like seeing that what a bunch of other guys online prefer.

Yes, I really like the new ASTR1 reticle. Hopefully it will be more available at the end of the month. I'd like to pick one up this summer.

Have one on the way athlon rep tells me it will be in and more readily available by the end of the month. Trying to off my athlon Midas BTR 1-6 in mil reticle at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The RT-6 is nice with ONE caveat. Even on the brightest setting the dot is not daylight bright. The reticle lines are fine enough for use at all magnifications. The 1X is slightly off though, IMHO it's a little offputting to try and use it with both eyes open.

Overall for the price I bought mine for it is a good optic.

When the focus is neutral (as on all scopes with adjustable focus) on the RT6, it is a true 1x.  When you change the effective diopter setting by adjusting focus, the mag range will change just slightly.