Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need to Have My Open Gun Re-finished

jacketjoed

Bought a 2011 style open gun last year, the finish was messed up on the comp. Looking to having the whole gun coated (not in love with the hard chrome.)  These things being as tight and finicky as they are, I want to make sure it gets done right, my gun runs and would like to keep it that way.  Any suggestions on who to send it off to to be coated??? Thanks! 

1 hour ago, mscott said:

I sent some parts to H&M to be nitrided a couple weeks ago, but haven't gotten them back yet. I've seen several good references on them, though. 

I'm in the same boat as op and think I'm going to go with h&m black nitride.

They say 3-5 days on their site so that is interesting, hopefully yours will be back soon 

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 7:22 PM, jacketjoed said:

Bought a 2011 style open gun last year, the finish was messed up on the comp. Looking to having the whole gun coated (not in love with the hard chrome.)  These things being as tight and finicky as they are, I want to make sure it gets done right, my gun runs and would like to keep it that way.  Any suggestions on who to send it off to to be coated??? Thanks! 

Did you talk to H&M about doing your gun? I know they told me I'd have to send it off to someone to have the hard chrome stripped off first before they could do the black nitride.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, js1130146 said:

That looks like it turned out excellent. Everything but the internals hammer and trigger got a fresh coat?

Thanks I'm happy with it. Just about everything, did all the internals. Only thing that isn't is the springs, slide racker, and aluminum mainspring housing and trigger.

• 3 weeks later...

Be careful sending guns to robar.  If you have a trigger less than 2.5 lbs they will not send your gun back.  Happened to a local shooter near us.  Sent them a gun and they told him it was unsafe.  They required that he have a trigger job done to the gun and when it came back the trigger was terrible.  He cussed them up and down until they agreed to pay to have a real gunsmith fix it.

37 minutes ago, mikev49 said:

Be careful sending guns to robar.  If you have a trigger less than 2.5 lbs they will not send your gun back.  Happened to a local shooter near us.  Sent them a gun and they told him it was unsafe.  They required that he have a trigger job done to the gun and when it came back the trigger was terrible.  He cussed them up and down until they agreed to pay to have a real gunsmith fix it.

Are you required to send an assembled gun to Robar (a finisher)?  Why?