Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2/3 steel target

Swanny10

So I am looking for a AR500 silhouette 2/3, 66%, A-C zone, or whatever you want to call it. I will be using it for 9 and 223. Who has the best deals on such a thing currently? I don't need a stand. Is there a significant advantage to using 1/2" instead of 3/8? 

3 hours ago, The Donald said:

Check out MOA targets I have a bunch of the 95% C zones, they are $100 each and ship free on orders over $150. Mine are 3/8" stand up well to 223

Okay so I went to the website. I can't find the targets you are talking about. 

• 1 month later...

If just for pistol, normal pistol like 9mm (minor), .40S&W, and .45ACP, 3/8ths thick AR500 will do just fine.

I am in southern Illinois, so I have not been able to test the targets I used to make against a centerfire rifle like .223 and 7.62X39.

I got in a bad batch of AR500 once that I sold to SWAT team friend.  I ended up buying the targets back because his .223 and .308 were zipping right through it.  Those were 3/8ths.  

1 hour ago, Chills1994 said:

If just for pistol, normal pistol like 9mm (minor), .40S&W, and .45ACP, 3/8ths thick AR500 will do just fine.

I am in southern Illinois, so I have not been able to test the targets I used to make against a centerfire rifle like .223 and 7.62X39.

I got in a bad batch of AR500 once that I sold to SWAT team friend.  I ended up buying the targets back because his .223 and .308 were zipping right through it.  Those were 3/8ths.  

Heck, for standard non magnum pistol loads, I have targets made out of non abrasion resistant steels that have held up just fine.  I know I have some "A" zone targets that are A514, that have a few years worth of practicing on them... with no substantial cratering.  A36 is a no go though.

If I was manufacturing steel targets from AR500, I'd want a mill test report on any material I was using.

Because like you, I've seen "AR500" targets behave like mild steel.   

I made my own circular plates out of 1/2" thick A36 years ago.

They held up fine to .45ACP.

.223 and .30-06 at 100 and 200 yards cratered them badly...well, just one of them.

I think the last AR500 targets that I had my steel supplier plasmaCAM or torchCAM out for me were:

A.  Not really AR500

Or

B.  The heat affected them too much.

They were meant to look like a "Mickey Mouse ears" profile or silhouette such that the "ears" had holes in them to hang them from chains.

I kinda got a weird feeling about those targets when I picked them up.  I should have paid attention to my spidey senses.

For me, just a guy building them on the side, the thought of the liability involved should something catastrophic happen was keeping me up at night.

So those were the last "AR500" targets I sold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

For pistol you can get away with AR400.  I shoot 1/4" AR400 plates with my pistols (9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W, 38 Super Comp, 45 ACP) and have no cratering.  I shoot 3/8" AR400 with high powered rifles out past 300 yards.  I have 1/2" AR500 C zone targets that I shoot as close as you want to chance it with 5.56/223.  We cut them out with a high def plasma table.  I have had the AR 500 have nicks on the edge when shot with 223/5.56 from close range.  I work for a steel fabrication company and all of the steel has mill certs (which is something I don't think a lot of these target makers have for their steel) but you should be fine with 1/2" or 3/8" AR500 for 223/5.56 and pistols.  If you want just pistol targets, I'd save the money and go with AR400

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

https://www.ar500targetsolutions.com/product/2-ar500-12x20-x-38″-23-ipda-ipsc-silhouette-steel-target/?gclid=CjwKCAjwjIHeBRAnEiwAhYT2h_QJUbENurKgnIPKNJza8rJlCka8W5dLeqAOfu_lcoqAO_iLHkFMvxoCwgsQAvD_BwE

cheapest I could find out there for IPSC/USPSA style

1/2 is totally unnecessary until you get to things more powerful than 308.

To punch a hole in AR500 is no easy task. It's legit armor plating. You need AP rounds at a close distance to blow holes through.

The damage rounds do to plates at short range dimples the surface. The thickness of the plate does not matter.

Karl is a great guy to. Squadded with him several times.

Edited by SweetToof