Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LNL AP Auto have alook

They definitely did an excellent job in ironing out the issues with the case feeder and jumping the case retainer spring slot on that press.  Ive tinkered alot with mine and I still cant get it to run that well, I always tip a case, or get one upside down every now and then.  Other than that, the LnL is a really good press, probably on par with a 650.

• 5 weeks later...
22 hours ago, bubbadoc said:

First video shows seating in 4, crimping in 5

Nice work on the automation

Watch it again, it shows a bullet being dropped into a case in #4 and nothing changing in #5.

If you pause it at 1:11 you can see the crooked bullet sitting on top of the case comming out of #5 as tall as the bullet that was just dropped into the case comming out of #4.

You can confirm this by watching to 3:38 when he moves the camera and you can see the Hornady dropper in #4 and no die in #5.

Edited by jmorris

Great work but I have to wonder why. it's very slow (presumably as the lnl won't be reliable any faster than that). Maybe 300rph? My 650 with case and bullet feeder runs much faster than that by hand with better than 99.5% reliability.

i do love the hydraulic drive I just think he would have been better off with a 1050 (or even 650). 

6 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

Great work but I have to wonder why. it's very slow (presumably as the lnl won't be reliable any faster than that). Maybe 300rph? My 650 with case and bullet feeder runs much faster than that by hand with better than 99.5% reliability.

i do love the hydraulic drive I just think he would have been better off with a 1050 (or even 650). 

Well he is on prototyping phase and 300 rph is really slow even when manually feeding cases and bullets. LNL AP speed is equal to 650 and they share very similar issues. Of course 1050 is superior to both of mentioned earlier.

LNL AP main problems are 1) crappy case feeding ramp that should be changed to rail type like Dillon, 2) Priming unreliability(slide stuck, primer punch high/stuck) 3) Rough indexing

It seems that Hornady is really not interested to improve AP, only introducing useless LCD panels... 

On January 8, 2017 at 9:11 PM, BeerBaron said:

I gather that it is a work in progress vs a finished product. Like the first run being pneumatic, then a blend of pneumatics and electrical with the servos running the case feed and primer slide.

Hard to argue that he wouldn't be better off with a 1050 though.

If he adds a few more things to it, it could be useful.  Speed is only important if you have to sit there and babysit it.  Kind of like your tumbler would really suck if you had to sit there and watch it.  If you can do something else while it is loading, you come out ahead.

• 2 weeks later...