Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New bench getting started

Moved from CA to ID and am finally getting around to my reloading / man room. Feels good to get the first presses set. I used old fire rated doors from the local Habitat for Humanity for counter tops and set 7/8" Heavy Duty T-Track into them.  The T-Track is 9" on center and works perfectly with the Dillon Strong Mounts. The RCBS, MEC etc. will be on 11"x whatever mounting plates made from 3/4" plywood. Ahh . . .  progress.

20161205_185711.jpg

Edited by spencerhut

2 hours ago, ParaOrdnanceLarry said:

What is the T-Track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the "Heavy Duty 7/8" Wide that takes 3/8" bolts. If I did it again I think the thinner standard 1/4" bolt head stuff would be fine. The mounting holes on the Dillon Strong Mount for my 650 & 550 and also my MEC9000H mounts are 9" on center so they can be bolted down easy. Since I'm using 3/8" bolts I did have to enlarge the mounting holes to 3/8" on all of them. I'm guessing the 1/4" holes in the mounts should have been a clue to me. Oh well, lesson passed on. The Mark 7 1050 I use for small primer stuff comes on it's own base so I can move it whenever my back feels up to it.:-) Still need to make mounting plates for the RCBS presses, the 1050 setup for Large Rifle and various accessories like the Giraud trimmer. I'm building two more benches more or less the same as this one, just taller. This bench is only 30" tall, otherwise I would need a step ladder to fill the bullet and case feeders. The other benches will be 36" tall. 

When I looked up info on using T-Track for a loading bench I found very little useful information. It does not seem like much but just these couple of paragraphs represent hours of research. I hope it helps someone out.

41hBzH-h1SL._SY300_.jpg

25 minutes ago, armydad said:

Many of my friends own retirement property there. I have a few years to put in here but I am basically right behind you. Best of luck and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please bring all your conservative friends and family. We've had a staggering number of customers move up here.

My wife and I will be heading to Idaho form California in a few years.  I'm still working part time at a great little company: hard to let go.  And we have "stuff" that makes me dread moving, but I intensely dislike this state.  And, yes, we are very conservative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2016 at 0:14 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

Thinking of doing this in my new room. Do they hold the press down good and tight. 

(4) #8 2" wood screws have held any press I have owned with no trouble. The 3/8" bolts and T-Track are far, far stronger. Even 1/4 T-Track should be good enough.

• 1 year later...

Starting to build a new reloading bench. Counter will be 10' 5" long. Im considering if i should use the t-track system and trying to research info on it now. Haven't seen much in the way of YouTube videos.

I really like the concept but the entire purpose of rebuilding my bench is for something sturdier than i have now. When bulk loading i can go pretty fast and forcefully. How sturdy are these honestly? Any advice on it would be much appreciated. Also by chance do you have a video clip of it in use?

Thanks in advance