Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield RO 9mm

blueeyedme

Won a Springfield RO 9mm recently and want to trick this out for my wife as a SS minor & steel gun.  Not familar with the gun so would appreciate any ideas on springs, FO, magwell & mags that would work well with this one.  Thanks.

Dawson ice magwell is the bomb.
I can't speak to 9mm mags but make sure they hold 10 rounds.
I like heavy bullets in my steel 9mm, so I like the 147 or 135 grainers.
Most folks like the green fiber.
I recommend the bullet out mag pouches in single stack.

Hope this helps.

Mine is great. I added an S&A magwell, a HiViz Litewave fiber optic front sight, and an Ed Brown extended mag release. Runs 100% with Brownells/Metalform 10-round mags (TIP: get the CZ Custom mag unloader tool). If she has small hands, your wife may prefer a shorter trigger.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I have a 9mm RO that had some work at the SACS

S&A magwell which I later changed to a Dawson ICE

Trigger job 3#

Fiber optic FS (I prefer red)

Front strap checkering.

In terms of mags, I have tried WilsonETM, Tripp, CMC and Dawson. I like the Dawson's the most and think that they are easiest to seat when fully loaded.  CMC are the most difficult.

For pouches, I like DAA single stack Racer with bullets out on a DAA Pro belt.

I just added a new Dawson FO front sight in red on my SA (.45), make sure you get the .100 size dot, what a difference in sight picture acquisition. Is is much easier to sight the gun on target and see the front sights quicker.

While you are doing all of this make sure you still make weight.  You only have 43oz including an empty mag to play with.

SAs are all 70 Series.  They do come with the ILS system, which you will have to replace to get a decent trigger pull.  You can turn the MSH into a normal 1911 one with an 18lb main spring for about $12.

Edited by zzt

I added and blended a S&A magwell, with straight 70 series guts, 19lb mainspring, Ed Brown steel firing pin, Dawson FO front sight, I made a relief cut on the sear, and polished the trigger bow, my trigger is a tad under 3lbs, I got a smoking deal on 5 Wilson NIB mags for a 100 bucks, and I added some MagPul grips and skateboard tape to the front strap.  I would get a Dawson Ice magwell if I had to do it again. 

6 hours ago, zzt said:

While you are doing all of this make sure you still make weight.  You only have 43oz including an empty mag to play with.

This is a good point with 9mm 1911s.  I wasn't thinking about this when I got a steel S&A magwell for my 9mm Trojan.  Even with a GI guide rod it's pretty close, I think around 42.7-42.8oz.  I'd suggest getting an aluminum magwell.

I have nothing against the Brazos, EGW or C&S trigger kits.  Just be aware that you almost certainly will have to touch something up to make it perfect.  I have yet to install one that did not require at least minor tweaking.  The RO is going to have a lousy, heavy trigger pull from the factory.  After about 400 rounds it wears in and get smoother and less creepy.  I fit a new MSH/magwell to my buddy's otherwise stock Loaded and got the trigger down to 3.5lb with a clean break.  I touched nothing else.  I offered to do a trigger job on it, but he liked it the way it was.  The main spring was 18lb and it drove the Ti firing pin, so that did not have to be changed.  The same was the case with several ROs at the club.

If you cannot make weight with the equipment you want to use, take weight out of the slide.  It will do the most good.  You are allowed to flat top, and even tri-top, but not "slide Lightening".  Isn't that confusing.  Anyway, that will reduce felt recoil and lessen muzzle rise.

• 2 months later...

My son has 2 of these, one as a back up.  He's got a 19 lb mainspring, 12 lb recoil spring, Dawson ice magwell, Dawson FO red front sight in .100, and uses the Dawson 10 round mags with the competition base pads.  He says he doesn't want a trigger job until he makes M class, he just got his B a couple months ago.

Just picked up an RO in 9mm for the wife.  I plan to add a Dawson Ice Magwell, Dawson F/O front sight, Dawson 10 round mags, and have my local gunsmith tune the trigger.  Should make for a nice anniversary gift that even I can play with every now and then!