Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do when you suck?

AlphaCharis

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's only so much you can learn from reading books and dry firing. Take a class from one of the higher ranked uspsa shooters (i.e. MM, BS, BV, etc, etc). Change divisions. Shooting Limited minor with your G34 may help you with stage execution without all those reloads.  

Know thyself :)

What are your goals? Are they realistic?

I am a solid B class shooter, I'm content with that because I own a business, have four kids under 7, and am not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to shoot at a higher level.  I shoot once a month and can be very pleased with my performances because I have realistic expectations.

What are your weaknesses?

Pactiscore gives us so much valuable data you don't have to pay a GM to tell you what to work on.  Look at division results, what's the classification of the winner? If the winner's classification is not 100% you can adjust their scores to compare them to yours as if they were.  What is your percentages of your scores in points and time?

At least then you can know if it's your speed or accuracy you need to work on.

Malfunctions and penalties are the no brainers: don't have as many and you'll score better.

27 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Practiscore gives us so much valuable data you don't have to pay a GM to tell you what to work on.  

I agree and disagree.

Practiscore won't show you that you're doing a bunch of unecessary motion (bending/twisting torso and bringing your head down between your shoulders) on your draw or reload. You might see that your draw and load need to be faster with scoring review of short courses, but practicing without some form of instruction will just make you faster at inefficient techniques. (Practice makes permanent, not perfect, and all that)

However, there's no need to make the leap to "paying a GM" to get that. If you're asking the question the way the OP is, odds are good that your local M and A shooters will have a lot of tips to help you along for free.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

doesn't have to be a famous GM, pretty much ANY real GM or experienced M shooter can tell you alot about what you're doing wrong and how to fix it, but there are other things I would look at too:

1. what is your practice schedule like? are you practicing every day? if not, then that's the first step. If you don't practice, you are not likely to get better very fast, if at all.

2. what are your weakest points as a shooter? If you don't know, then think about it, look at video, ask someone else, and figure it out. Put more effort on your weaknesses. this is good not only because you have the most to gain by working on weaknesses, but also progress will be most obvious when working on stuff you suck most at, and obvious progress is good for your self-image and confidence, and very motivating.

3. What is your focus at matches? are you there to have fun and socialize? learn and improve? dominate and crush? Whatever your goal is for matches, make sure that your behavior is appropriate for that goal. Don't go to matches to see your buddies and hang out and not think hard about stages and visualize and then be surprised when your results aren't what you want.

4. Assuming you do practice, change up your practice, work on some other things. If you are always working on speed, spend some time working on accuracy and shot-calling. If you are always working on that stuff, spend a little time working on speed. Get out of the rut.

good luck.

I think a lot of things come into play...

A class

Advice from solid shooters

Switching divisions

Practice (on the clock, dry fire, live fire, stuff you HATE to practice)

Video

Set goals

Analyze match results

Find a shooting buddy and make every match a fight to the death on who will win

13 hours ago, yoshidaex said:

There's only so much you can learn from reading books and dry firing. Take a class from one of the higher ranked uspsa shooters (i.e. MM, BS, BV, etc, etc). Change divisions. Shooting Limited minor with your G34 may help you with stage execution without all those reloads.  

Hmmmm..... One of the things I need to improve on a lot is shooting as I enter/leave a position - maybe having less reloads would help me focus on that. 

9 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Take some time off - play golf or tennis.   :) 

Oh, I'm still having fun :)  I don't think I could live (happily) without shooting ;)  I just get frustrated when it feels like I'm in the same place as I was a year ago.  Maybe I'm not.  I don't know.  I think I have improved at some things, but matches and minimal dryfire only gets you so far.     

14 hours ago, AlphaCharis said:

Hmmmm..... One of the things I need to improve on a lot is shooting as I enter/leave a position - maybe having less reloads would help me focus on that. 

I would suggest practing shooting as you enter/leave positions, both in dryfire and livefire, and also shooting on the move. You may not have alot of opportunities to shoot on the move in a match, but the more comfortable you are doing it, the earlier you can leave, and the earlier you can start shooting when you come into a position.

1 hour ago, AzShooter said:

Go back to group shooting.  It will bring your confidence back, then you can progress from there.+

Group shooting is always helpful. I do it in almost every practice session. Confirms zero, reminds me it is me and not the gun, and grounds me.

Something similar I do is put a small plate at 25 yards or more and draw to it on the clock. If everything isn't perfect it shows up in a hurry. Typical match shots suddenly seem very easy.

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2016 at 6:26 AM, kneelingatlas said:

Know thyself :)

What are your goals? Are they realistic?

Hmmmmm.... I really want to be better, so I just need to make it a priority and stop making excuses for myself.  I will make the time to practice  :) 

On 12/1/2016 at 4:48 PM, motosapiens said:

1. what is your practice schedule like? are you practicing every day? if not, then that's the first step. If you don't practice, you are not likely to get better very fast, if at all.

2. what are your weakest points as a shooter? ...progress is good for your self-image and confidence, and very motivating.

3. What is your focus at matches? are you there to have fun and socialize? learn and improve? dominate and crush? Whatever your goal is for matches, make sure that your behavior is appropriate for that goal. Don't go to matches to see your buddies and hang out and not think hard about stages and visualize and then be surprised when your results aren't what you want.

4. Assuming you do practice, change up your practice, work on some other things. If you are always working on speed, spend some time working on accuracy and shot-calling. If you are always working on that stuff, spend a little time working on speed. Get out of the rut.

good luck.

I think because I have so much to improve, I was just overwhelmed on where to start.  What to start with.  Because if I tried to practice everything I was bad at in one session.... the session would never end.  I do like to have fun at matches, but I really want to do well at shooting, too.  I'm going to put a little more focus on shooting this year.  A lot of time after matches, I'm disappointed that I wasn't more serious, because it shows when I don't go through my stage enough in my head.  

Thank you!  ALL good advice.  I'm definitely going to heed 

On 12/1/2016 at 6:08 PM, fastluck13 said:

I think a lot of things come into play...

Practice (on the clock, dry fire, live fire, stuff you HATE to practice)

Video

Set goals

Yes, so I finally started dryfiring everyday this last week...  And I think practicing is very motivating because you can actually see gains at matches.... at least now at my level, because I have so many gains to make lol  Video is good for me because I always think I suck and was super slow, and then when I watch the video and a lot of times it seems faster/better than I thought it went.  (Other times I can hardly watch it because it does look super slow... but most of the time it's a positive thing.)  This year, setting goals would be a good thing.  Working toward and reaching goals sounds like it will be motivating for me.  I like having something to work toward... like getting a certain time on a drill or something.

On 12/2/2016 at 9:31 AM, motosapiens said:

I would suggest practing shooting as you enter/leave positions, both in dryfire and livefire, and also shooting on the move. You may not have alot of opportunities to shoot on the move in a match, but the more comfortable you are doing it, the earlier you can leave, and the earlier you can start shooting when you come into a position.

I SO need to practice this.  Probably everyday lol

On 12/2/2016 at 9:32 AM, motosapiens said:

I think I found your problem. When you suck, you should do more dryfire.

Hahaha!  Yes!  you are SO right.  I knew this but it didn't exactly sink in enough for me to do anything about it.  I had another horrible match on New Year's Day, and had had enough complaining.  I've been hoping wishful thinking and matches would propel me into A class lol  Apparently you have to work for what you want ;)  So, I am dryfiring!  I'm forcing myself to do "at least 15 minutes" a day.  That has turned in to more like 45-60 minutes.  Hopefully it will last.  Not hope.... I just need to DO.  What do I really want?  I want to be better.  If I want to be better, there is no other way to do that.   

On 12/2/2016 at 0:15 PM, AzShooter said:

Go back to group shooting.  It will bring your confidence back, then you can progress from there.+

Live fire should definitely be on my list of musts this year.  A lot of times I feel like I can't trust my gun because I never get out on the range to practice or to even make sure my sights are in alignment.  I was blaming my sights just last week lol  It was me.  I'm mostly not confident on the longer distance stuff: 35-50 yards.  I will have to plan for some sessions this year, and maybe even give up a match here and there for practice instead.

On 12/2/2016 at 1:54 PM, fastluck13 said:

Group shooting is always helpful. I do it in almost every practice session. Confirms zero, reminds me it is me and not the gun, and grounds me.

Something similar I do is put a small plate at 25 yards or more and draw to it on the clock. If everything isn't perfect it shows up in a hurry. Typical match shots suddenly seem very easy.

That's a good idea because you can know right away if you didn't get the hit.  And helps with that first shot.  Sometimes I "over aim" on my first shot and take longer than I really need to because I'm not confident I lined it up that quickly, or I start thinking or something when I should just be shooting.

17 hours ago, AlphaCharis said:

What to start with.  Because if I tried to practice everything I was bad at in one session.... the session would never end.

Defenitely DON'T do that.

Pick one thing for one session. Any one thing that seems to need improvement.

Spend some time focusing on a nice clean trigger pull. Dry fire on a light switch. Not the plate, but the actual switch. The sights shouldn't move off of that. Start within 5 feet and steadily move back until you are across the room. This will help with some confidence in the longer shots. Once you've got this down, add the draw stroke to it.

My dry fire consistently has 25 draws, reloads, transitions, and trigger pull. These are then broken down further. The draw for instance: 5 hands up, 5 hands at sides, 5 drawing and moving forward, and 5 drawing while moving to the left and right (25 reps). I have each technique broken down like this. This set of reps is strictly my warm up. None of these are done with the timer.

After I finish my warm up, then the timer comes out and I work on whatever specific techniques I have decided on that day.

On 1/11/2017 at 7:45 AM, perttime said:

Defenitely DON'T do that.

Pick one thing for one session. Any one thing that seems to need improvement.

Yes!  Okay!  I think I'll work on my reloads for this whole week because they have been kicking my butt.

On 1/11/2017 at 11:27 AM, CHA-LEE said:

Have you taken a one on one training class? If not that is a very good place to start if you need someone to assess your skills and provide a training plan to meet your goals.

I've taken a class, but didn't have the opportunity for some one-on-one training.  I know some things that I need to work on, but having someone help me to focus my training would be helpful.  I think after I stick to a dryfire routine to get the basics down, I should definitely look in to some more training.

If you can't identify issues within your skill set and deploy training solutions on your own, then your only option will be to take some one on one training so it can be spoon fed to you. I don't mean this in a disrespectful manner but it is what it is. There are a lot of shooters who want to get better but have zero ability to assess their skills or produce training solutions based on those assessments. If you can't do that on your own then you have to rely on others to do it for you.

On 1/11/2017 at 11:24 AM, Limitless13 said:

Spend some time focusing on a nice clean trigger pull. 

My dry fire consistently has 25 draws, reloads, transitions, and trigger pull.... This set of reps is strictly my warm up. None of these are done with the timer.

That sounds like a good thing to start a session with, doing it all off the timer, to get them all done correctly.  Ensuring a good grip, getting the feel for a clean trigger pull.  I put three poppers up across my living room, I think it simulates about a 40 yard distance, but I like the light switch idea, too.  I have some one inch "plates" I should put those at distance, too.  I think I'll start with a "warm up" and then concentrate on my reloads for like an hour... I really need them to go smoother.     

21 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

If you can't identify issues within your skill set and deploy training solutions on your own, then your only option will be to take some one on one training so it can be spoon fed to you. I don't mean this in a disrespectful manner but it is what it is. There are a lot of shooters who want to get better but have zero ability to assess their skills or produce training solutions based on those assessments. If you can't do that on your own then you have to rely on others to do it for you.

lol  I know everything (a lot, at least) that I'm bad at, so I don't think I need another class right now - I have so much to work on first!  But after that I think having some one-on-one is going to benefit me in helping narrow down some drills to help with certain things that are beyond the basics. 

Edited by AlphaCharis

You are missing the point of an effective class. Sure a class does point out the skills that you need to fix, but it should also give you specific steps on resolving those issues. Figuring out how to prioritize what you need to fix is also an important skills that an effective trainer should be able to help you figure out.

Lastly, you need to scrap the thought of there being skills "Beyond the basics". All of the skills we leverage to compete in the practical shooting sports are "basic" skills. The better shooters simply deploy the "Basic" skills in a more efficient and effective manner.

2 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

You are missing the point of an effective class. Sure a class does point out the skills that you need to fix, but it should also give you specific steps on resolving those issues. Figuring out how to prioritize what you need to fix is also an important skills that an effective trainer should be able to help you figure out.

Lastly, you need to scrap the thought of there being skills "Beyond the basics". All of the skills we leverage to compete in the practical shooting sports are "basic" skills. The better shooters simply deploy the "Basic" skills in a more efficient and effective manner.

By "basics" I meant things that I know that I suck at, but can get better with dryfire right now on my own - like reloads, and draw, grip, table starts, unloaded starts, good trigger pulls.  I took a two-day class with Ron Avery just a few months ago, so I have a lot I can work on now before taking another class.  If that makes sense.  I was really frustrated with wanting to "fix everything" and so not doing anything.  But I'm learning (from encouragement on the forum and fellow shooters) on how to just start somewhere.  And I guess really focusing on one thing at a time - I think that if I do that I will see improvement in that area (instead of negligible improvement if I work on too many things) and that will be motivating to keep working.  If I had the time and money to take a class right now, I would.  I see how I could get "spoon fed" an individualized plan and that would totally help me along with my training.  But I want to get the most bang for my buck for my next class by working on some things first.  I'm not even working on very many things, and I'm still dryfiring an hour a day lol  Thanks for your comments!  I really do appreciate the shooting community and all the ideas and advice fellow shooters give. :)  ....it's kinda like taking a class.... ;)