Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9major in a glock 19?

Kepo

Why was it tough to make major with the glock 17?  Felt recoil?  I have recently started shooting 9major out of my glock 17 build into an open version with comp, red dot etc and it seems to be working fine.  I am sure there are much better platforms but the 17 seems to be functional.  

I wouldn't recommend it! A Glock 19 was designed for carry, not open class competition. Technically, anything is possible if you sink the cash in (comp, supported barrel, etc.), but why would you want to? You also have to remember that your gun will take a beating with 9mm major. I don't think that the Glock 19 will hold up to that abuse for a long period, and remember that with a short barrel, you need to up your pressures to make major.

Yes, it can be done. The barrel is not too short. It will presumably be about 4.5" to accommodate a threaded portion for the compensator. If a shorty 2011 can make Major with a 4.26" barrel, the Glock can with a 4.5" barrel.

Shorty 2011: https://stiguns.com/guns/match-master/

Yes, your loads will be high pressure, but that should not be a problem if you have good case support and use quality brass.

I've shot a G19 Open gun and it was pretty sweet!  Short, light and fast, albeit pretty nasty in the hand :goof:

8gr of HS6 under a 124 got me 171PF out of a Tanfoglio Open gun with a 4.1" barrel :devil:

That was pretty nasty too!

I don't know how durable the lock up on a Glock barrel is, but I rounded off the locking lug in short order shooting 9 major out of a one-lug compact slide, I've since collected some two-lug slide which seem to hold up fine.

Edited by kneelingatlas

12 hours ago, hcore44 said:

Why was it tough to make major with the glock 17?  Felt recoil?  I have recently started shooting 9major out of my glock 17 build into an open version with comp, red dot etc and it seems to be working fine.  I am sure there are much better platforms but the 17 seems to be functional.  

The gun was built by a top rated builder with the everything right. So I know it was correct. Gun worked fine, ran like a top. Very dependable and accurate. To me it was very harsh recoil, and very hard on the parts. Beat the gun up. I was constantly fixing or tightening things. Maybe you will have better luck. Went to an STI and love it.

I have a 19 that I built for my grandaughter. Fun gun to shoot. Just couldn't imagine shooting major thru it with the short grip & barrel.

gerritm

Thanks guys was just wondering, maybe something to tinker around with and give me a excuse to cut up the slide and Try a Romeo 3. I'm shooting 124 PD hp @ 1.150" with 6.0 gr of hs6 can go to 6.6 published load and it shoots very soft now. It got me wondering if it would be possible to make major since my DVC open likes 8.0 grains. Thought it might be worth working up a load ladder. I only have a kkm 4 port comp on it now would more ports be necessary?

Why not just make it for Carry Optics or steel, shoot minor. Would be fun that way, I had a really soft load for her @ 3.2grs of Titegroup with a 147gr Xtreme PHP @ 1.12-13 OAL. She loved it. Liked the load so much my son uses it in his STI DVC 3-G Limited gun. Right at 125PF.

gerritm

3 hours ago, Kepo said:

Thanks guys was just wondering, maybe something to tinker around with and give me a excuse to cut up the slide and Try a Romeo 3. I'm shooting 124 PD hp @ 1.150" with 6.0 gr of hs6 can go to 6.6 published load and it shoots very soft now. It got me wondering if it would be possible to make major since my DVC open likes 8.0 grains. Thought it might be worth working up a load ladder. I only have a kkm 4 port comp on it now would more ports be necessary?

A shooting buddy used a slide ride optic on a Glock open gun. It ate the optics up. Don't know why, but it did. Just killed them. Both Vortex and Leupold. His frame mounted optics were very durable.  Same optics too. 

I forgot to mention that major power factor loads were what was killing the slide ride optics. Minor was fine. Both with and without a comp. Go figure. 

Edited by Mhall

The glock shouldnt really suffer much damage with major pf loads.  Its the exact same gun except barrel as g23 & most factory ammo in 40 is major pf.  Granted lighter bullets than 40 so slide speed is faster.... maybe try heavier recoil spring... otherwise I dont see any problem.  

IMG_20161001_085828_179 (Medium).jpg

The problem I've seen in striker fired major PF guns is slide failures. I've cracked 2 M&P slides (I know, different brand, but the barrel lockup design is identical). the hammering on the ejection port starts the crack which then runs forward. A 1911/2011 lockup system is more robust and doesn't concentrate the impact on an open section of the slide. It worked well for a bit over a year, but there were a number of failures (barrel, trigger, compensator). I've since switched to an STI and relegated the M&P's to range duty with minor PF loads (wife's gun):wacko:

CRACKED SLIDE 2.JPG

CC 3.JPG