Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minimum 'stuff' for 3 gun

Just wondering what the minimum accessory gear is for a 3 gun match.  Can I get away with GI ammo pouches on a web belt?  Buttstock shotshell holder for shotgun.  Baggy pockets like back in the 'hood???  Is a 'tactical vest' a fashion faux pas?

Enquiring (& cheap) minds want to know!  I've got 'till the end of March to find out :-)

Steve

Although there are clearly better ways to do it...I carry spare mags for my rifle in the back pockets of my jeans (works OK until you have to go for the third magazine from a kneeling position).

For the shotgun I have a sidesaddle and a forearm shell holder. Works for me.

You're welcome to wear the tactical vest (as long as it isn't camo) at our matches. We'll snicker about it behind your back, but you're welcome to wear it. ;)

Cheers,

Steve,

Don't get scared off by crazy equipment, just come to the matches. Normally if you need to borrow some gear it isn't an issue. At least in the NC area. I have also shot with a few fellas out here in WA that will bend over backwards to help new shooters.  As far as the tactical vest, use it if you want. We have alot of Military and Law Enf. guys that use their duty gear for the matches.

Once you have attended a few matches it will be easier for you to determine what gear is necessary.

USPSA does frown on camo. They just don't want CNN having more ammo against our sport.

God Bless the USA!!!!!

KyleL

Your stock mount shell holder for your shotgun should work a lot better than trying to load out of your pockets . You may also want to consider a waist belt shell holder or a bandoleer (Hell buy a waist belt and try it as both a belt and a bandoleer and see which way works) . Practice reloading on your shotgun as that is where you will gain the most speed on a C.O.F. For your AR you can use a Safariland 771 high cap mag holder if you have these already by just sliding the AR mag in along the grooves in the mag . I had my grandmother sew me up some mag pouches which cost about 7 bucks total . The ultra cheap method is taping 2 AR mags together like you see on TV all the time . I dont know how many mag changes your going to have to do at a local level unless they are mandatory as 30rounds is a pretty good sized C.O.F. Good Luck and have fun (dont get hung up on the gear , your going to be getting beat by all the guys who are supposed to beat you and it wont have anything to do with equipment)

For AR single mag pouch, you can make do with a surplus M14 mag pouch and a nice, thick rubber band around it.  Fold the flap over and tuck it under the backside of the belt, voila, open mag pouch that would cost less than 5 bucks.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used a regular old shotgun shelll bag to reload my shotgun, now I have a forearm shell holder and a side saddle. I'm trying to decide if 16 reloads and 8+1 in the shotgun will be enough

The AR i stuff the mag in between my belt and shorts and it works fine for me, not terribely fast but it works. i just use two 30 round mags and i have yet to need more

ML

If you don't mind having gear that's not the latest and greatest used by the Big Dogs, you can get some cool stuff for not much money at places like Galati International.

I have a shotshell belt that wear high on my belly so it does not interfere with pistol stuff on my belt.

I carry my spare rifle mags in a nylon bag that holds six magazines in flapped pouches worn over my head and one shoulder. I then secure it around my middle with a piece of 550 cord and I'm good to go. If I want to make sure I have my mags when I need them, I leave the flaps secured with velcro. If I want to be "faster," I can tuck the flaps behind the bag on the three pouches on the outside.

Galati and some of the other "tactical nylon" places make several inexpensive versions of the bag and you can even wear it like a chest pouch if you rig an extra strap. :ph34r: