Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger American Predator

bmiller

Has anyone shot one of these?  I have read a few articles stating these are moa or better rifles.  I thought about buying and building a chassis for it.  Last year, in deer season, I carried my m4 pattern .300 blk that I pulled the gasblock off and converted to straight pull bolt action. (Pa doesn't allow semi auto for big game for now).  It was really nice climbing in and out of my stand with this compared to my .300 ultra mag Sendaro.  The little rifle is a disadvantage on my place because I can have long shots.  I thought about picking up a pradator in 6.5 as a nice compromise.  I have been thinking about trying prs shooting as well.  Is this rifle worth messing with, or am I trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear?  

Thanks

I have an American in 30-06.  The magazines suck.  Rifle is OK otherwise.

For the 300 BLK/223, SA 308/6.5... the situation may be the same.

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-American-Rifle-5-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90440/

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-American-Rifle-4-Round-Magazine-Short-Action/productinfo/90436/

If you get a chassis with different magazine system... that might be a good set-up.

I purchased  this rifle in 6.5 for my son.  It is light weight, extremely accurate.  I do not have a problem with my magazine.  My rifle will shoot 1/2 , 3 shot groups all day with factory Hornady Superformance 129 gr.  You noticed that I said my rifle.  If my son does not go with me on the day that I go hunting, it is the one I grab.  Thinking about getting a second one.  The 22" barrel is perfect.  My custom 7mm mag does not get chosen much anymore.  I did tune my trigger and re-torque the screws to make sure the rifle was sitting square in the stock.  For $379.00, it shoots with my custom rifles, is easier to carry , and has plenty of punch down range.  What part of Pa ?   I don't think Pa will ever pass the auto thing, never made sense.

I am in Western Pa.  Pretty much fly over country.  Folks that I talk to are relatively certain the semi auto rifles will be made legal for varmints but not much else.  I really can't believe the governor signed off on it.  I thought the bill would be doa.  I found a few YouTube videos last night of a guy taking the predator to 1820 yards.  It really seems like a deal!  I have been thinking about buying it under the pretense its for my kids, too?!

A local shop has a predator in 6.5 Creedmore on the used rack. The story was a guy bought it shot half a box of shells and didn't like it.  The rifle looked new. I snagged while trading of a prize table score.  Can wait to see what it does!  

So glad to see that you found one Brian.  Pull the gun apart and adjust the trigger and then re-torque the action back in the stock to make sure it is not hitting the forearm anywhere.  You won't be carrying the Sendero anymore.  I want to here how it does.

Tommy

The trigger is really nice for hunting right now.  I was thinking about building a chassis for it, but the stock fits me well.  I am thinking I might just put a kydex cheek rest on it.  The pistol grip portion of the stock is rather slick, might stipple that.  I really like the tang safety on this rifle, it will be fast when digging them out of the brush.  I can't believe how impressed I am with this $400 rifle.   I rough zeroed it yesterday, it was cutting great groups.  Your right, Tommy, my Sendaro could end up being neglected.

Edited by bmiller

• 1 month later...

I've really been thinking about picking up one of these as an intro to long range shooting. I have been looking at this gun with an MDT LSS chassis or a Savage 12 LRP. Is the American Predator really good enough to get started in long range? It seems too good to be true. 

The factory stocks are flimsy.  If the gun will shoot so well with the factory stocks, just think how it does in a solid stock.  The rifles need to be checked from the factory that the action is square in the stock is tight.  A very simple procedure, check to see if the rifle is not touching the forearm and make sure the action is tight front and back with the screws.  I bought mine, taken it out of the stock, adjusted the trigger , and re-installed it back.  Made the screw equally tight and mine is a 1/2 in rifle with factory ammo.