Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with the weak hand

jschweg

I need some advice on some strategies for shooting effectively with the weak hand only. My weekly match this year has a stage shot with the weak hand only and it's not helping my scores.

When shooting two handed or strong hand only, I've always been most effective in a squared off isosceles stance, and that's what I do. With the weak hand, I'm finding it really difficult because the gun is not lined up with my dominant eye (right). So either I have to move the gun to the right, cant it, or move my head to a somewhat uncomfortable position. All of this results in a somewhat straining position where my sights are drifting around like a rowboat in a hurricane.

Should I change my stance for the weak hand, or do something else? Just trying to figure out how to get that "locked in" confident feeling that I have when shooting normally.

Thanks for some help.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I tend to quarter my body off a bit when shooting one handed so the line of force goes closer to the center of my body, then I lean into the gun a lot more than I do when shooting freestyle. Make sure you're still savagely squeezing the gun with only the one hand.

I just move the gun so it's in front of the correct eye. Nothing wrong with canting except you'll probably have to put a bit more work into it to manage the recoil properly from a slightly goofy orientation.

You'll never really develop your one handed abilities to have the same feeling as freestyle shooting as one hand will obviously never provide as much stability as two hands. That being said, you can still get pretty damn good with one hand.

I tend to quarter my body off a bit when shooting one handed so the line of force goes closer to the center of my body, then I lean into the gun a lot more than I do when shooting freestyle. Make sure you're still savagely squeezing the gun with only the one hand.

I just move the gun so it's in front of the correct eye. Nothing wrong with canting except you'll probably have to put a bit more work into it to manage the recoil properly from a slightly goofy orientation.

You'll never really develop your one handed abilities to have the same feeling as freestyle shooting as one hand will obviously never provide as much stability as two hands. That being said, you can still get pretty damn good with one hand.

Thanks for the post, just to clarify, what do you mean by quartering your body off, sorry.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I turn maybe about 45 degrees putting the shoulder of the arm that is shooting closer to the target than the shoulder of the unused arm.

You know what, I think this is exactly it. I shoot two handed so much in an isoceles stance that I'm trying to shoot squared off one handed. If I'm shooting lefty and put my left foot slightly forward and lean into the target a little, it brings the sights right over to my right eye without feeling contorted.

Seems so obvious now, thanks for the tip.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk