Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just got a Stock III educate me a bit

MrRick

Like the title says. Just got a Stock III and looking to do a few things.
Looking for grips and to lighten the trigger pull and if possible shorten the reset. Also what front sight? Is the Stock III a large frame? Would this be the correct magazine?

Thanks

Grips:

I'm in love with Henning's grips. Expensive and just a pinch thin, but absolutely beautiful and as grippy as the checkering on the frame.

Mine got a full polishing job and $300 worth of springs and action parts from Patriot Defense. BOLO disconnector, Titan hammer, Xtreme 1-piece sear and extended firing pin block. Beautiful trigger now.

Your gun is large frame. CDNN has factory mags in stock for $15 which work perfectly. I posted a thread about that recently. Search on my name in this forum.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Grips:

I'm in love with Henning's grips. Expensive and just a pinch thin, but absolutely beautiful and as grippy as the checkering on the frame.

Mine got a full polishing job and $300 worth of springs and action parts from Patriot Defense. BOLO disconnector, Titan hammer, Xtreme 1-piece sear and extended firing pin block. Beautiful trigger now.

Your gun is large frame. CDNN has factory mags in stock for $15 which work perfectly. I posted a thread about that recently. Search on my name in this forum.

Been following your thread and already have a laundry list of parts. Just not sure on which grips fit (stock II are the same?). I also have to take mine apart because I think mine might have some work done. Trigger doesn't feel nearly as bad as you describe it. Very similar to my CZ97 with just a 13# hammer spring. The reset seem shorter than I expected but I still see the 2 piece sear. Also not sure what height to get for the front FO sight.

I went with a .140 tall front and like it. Any lower and you see the slide in the sight picture when the front post is a pinch above centered in the notch, and I wound up ten clicks or so down from the factory setting. Keeps the fragile rear sight nice and low.

I went with an 8# recoil spring and had an annoying number of failures to chamber fully with ammo that had been chamber-checked (plunked and spun) in the barrel round-by-round. I'm on the stock spring minus 3 coils now until a 10# spring is ordered. (Reaming barrel might also magically help this, but both will have to happen at once.)

Trigger wasn't that bad from factory and reset is damn short if you're coming from plastic. Might be Stock. Mine pulled 10.5 on a scale and felt like 8 to me.

The previous owner might have dropped in trigger or sear or hammer springs and done some polishing. That goes a long way on its own. So does properly adjusting the overtravel screw in the trigger, at least on reset (I'm running my gun with it removed now and find it's plenty short enough.)

Stock II grips fit. The only dimensional differences in a II and a III are found in the front half of the slide. (Slide, barrel, guide rod, and recoil spring.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I shot a DVC open. I got this for my son and for me to use in multi-gun. I don't find the trigger bad at all. When I go to the range tomorrow I'll see if the gunsmith is there to see at what poundage the trigger is. 

For your .140 are you at dot on target or 6 low?

What loads you running? 

Edited by MrRick

135gr bullet at 135pf (1,000fps)

I'll be curious to know how much adjustment might be needed for the 150gr semi-wadcutters I'll be using in about two weeks time. 

Pushing them with Prima-V should make for a very clean, very soft round. If they're accurate enough and they feed reliably!

So I got to shoot it today for the first time. AMAZING!!! 

I think the trigger is perfect the way it is. It is at 8/4# but the break is CRISP and predictable. Lots of feed back...something I was missing from my other DA/SA guns. 

Definitely need an FO sight and maybe grips for aesthetics. Also definitely need to change the recoil spring. It is abbot over sprung. 

Edited by MrRick

They really do shoot beautifully. I love my Stock III. Glad you like yours just as much!

Once I'm used to the trigger and operation is once again totally subconscious, I believe the only thing I'll miss about my plastic framed striker guns is the ease with with you can change mags.

• 3 months later...
On 11/27/2016 at 6:13 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

So does properly adjusting the overtravel screw in the trigger, at least on reset (I'm running my gun with it removed now and find it's plenty short enough.)

Edited by NWfront

What is the proper adjustment of the overtravel screw?  My stock 2 is all factory except PD springs/FP and came with a good 1/8" of overtravel.  I don't want to push the limits but a little less would be nice.

Sorry for the separate quote/question posts.  On a new phone and not sure what happened there.

Edited by NWfront

Run it in and test over and over, until the hammer won't quite drop in double action or single action. I forget which one goes away first... so check both.

Congratulations. You've just found "too far."

Now back it off juuuuuuust until normal function returns. That's where most people leave it, and this will eventually cause problems. So back it off another half turn, perhaps even a bit more. And keep it there with loctite blue.

Asjusting it too tightly can result in issues when the gun gets hot or dirty, and will cause big headaches if there's some wear in the action parts later on

On 3/7/2017 at 11:48 PM, NWfront said:

What is the proper adjustment of the overtravel screw?  My stock 2 is all factory except PD springs/FP and came with a good 1/8" of overtravel.  I don't want to push the limits but a little less would be nice.

Sorry for the separate quote/question posts.  On a new phone and not sure what happened there.

Tighten the overt ravel screw until the gun will not drop the hammer in SA. Then back out until it will. Then back out further until the hammer does not contact the sear as you slowly lower it with the trigger pulled. You can back it out a bit further if you want for extra peace of mind, but this is the optimum point. 

You will have some overtravel when finished.

9 hours ago, billthemarine2862 said:

I know everyone recommends the Henning and EGD grips but, I have a set of the copper gun grips and I really like them.  They are very grippy, they basically feel like medium grit sand paper.  Not too rough.

Best of all they are about 40 bucks shipped.

I am certainly interested to check out the PD grips when released. I do want to ask though, The Copper Gun Grips, there site only shows full length grips for the match frame. Do they offer slightly shorter ones for use with the Elite frames? (Stock II, III, Lim Pro)

32 minutes ago, EngineerEli said:

I am certainly interested to check out the PD grips when released. I do want to ask though, The Copper Gun Grips, there site only shows full length grips for the match frame. Do they offer slightly shorter ones for use with the Elite frames? (Stock II, III, Lim Pro)

Call them. There was a mix up with my grips, not everything is listed online, he had some prototypes during my purchase. He'll get you taken care of over the phone.