Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Grip safety question

ksteele1

Experienced IDPA shooter new to the 1911 platform.   My problem is that as I ride on top of the thumb safety with my thumb I occasionally lose a tight enough hold on the grip resulting in FTF.   I have read about some shooters with this issue taping the grip safety.   My question is twofold ---is the IDPA legal and if so any particular tape and/or  method to do this effectively.    Thanks is advance.

It is a no no - 8.1.7.5. Those that do it in other sports tend to have the gun modified so the safety is pinned back. 

I think of the issue as a very beneficial feature that helps you train yourself to get a good grip. That is not a universal opinion though. 

On November 24, 2016 at 10:06 AM, ksteele1 said:

Experienced IDPA shooter new to the 1911 platform.   My problem is that as I ride on top of the thumb safety with my thumb I occasionally lose a tight enough hold on the grip resulting in FTF.   I have read about some shooters with this issue taping the grip safety.   My question is twofold ---is the IDPA legal and if so any particular tape and/or  method to do this effectively.    Thanks is advance.

So are you asking if you should tape the safety and grip lower?  

It it sounds to me, you need to pin the grip safety and get a thumb shield to prevent the FTFs. 

I don't shoot IDPA, but most people who have that issue in USPSA (of which I am one) pin or deactivate the grip safety, I much prefer to pin so the safety doesn't move which then maintains the smooth transition between the safety and the frame.

jeff

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 8:32 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

They change the rules every 3 weeks or so, you are probably just ahead of your time. 

I have noticed sight to sight changes in rules and was wondering about that

Bruce Gray (Grayguns.com) does a magnificent hard tail grip safety that really facilitates safety activation with high grips...and its absolutely gorgeous.

I'm not sure about competition rules or how this would affect them. Mr. Gray would know.

I hope it's ok to post a link to another forum that shows the modification, if not please delete: 

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=220916

Edited by wanttolearn

I recently had this issue get me for the first time. I shoot 2011s for USPSA and IDPA. I pin the safety on my limited and open guns, I never had an issue with my IDPA gun until I put a wider thumb safety on the gun. I think a set of smaller tactical safeties help prevent this I went back to the slimmer safety and have not had this problem again.

Like the others have already said, IDPA says no.   

Tune it for better effect while still leaving it fully operational.  

Too much spring tension?  Bend the right leg/leaf of the sear spring to lessen the effort of fully engaging the grip safety.  Do this slowly and creep up on the result.

If the disengagement point is too far inward?  You can remove material from the grip safety tang where it meets the back of the trigger bow.  Slooooowly and carefully creep up on the result!  You will ruin the GS if you get too aggro.

Edited by Yeti

On 11/29/2016 at 8:09 AM, g.willikers said:

It's surprising that with all the manufacturers making 1911s, someone hasn't offered a no grip safety option by now.

If memory serves, Mr. Browning's original design didn't have one.

The army insisted on one as substitute for poor training.

Correct.

And, Jeff Cooper thought the grip safety to be as worthless as you what's on a you know what.

1 hour ago, MikieM said:

And, Jeff Cooper thought the grip safety to be as worthless as you what's on a you know what.

Not sure that Mr.Browning or J.Cooper were concerned with fast draws (dropped guns) and competition tuned trigger jobs and the multitude of options for firing system components. 

They might feel the same way regardless, or completely opposite, who knows?

If the momentum of the trigger assembly on a particular gun is not enough to overcome what is required to move the sear, from a reasonable drop height, then it seems like the only benefit to the grip safety is to prevent 'bump firing' from recoil. 

I only know of one person who pinned a safety and then had it unpinned due to doubling, but I have seen guns hit the ground at a match (and dropped mine more than once during practice :( ) . 

2 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Not sure that Mr.Browning or J.Cooper were concerned with fast draws (dropped guns) and competition tuned trigger jobs and the multitude of options for firing system components. 

They might feel the same way regardless, or completely opposite, who knows?

If the momentum of the trigger assembly on a particular gun is not enough to overcome what is required to move the sear, from a reasonable drop height, then it seems like the only benefit to the grip safety is to prevent 'bump firing' from recoil. 

I only know of one person who pinned a safety and then had it unpinned due to doubling, but I have seen guns hit the ground at a match (and dropped mine more than once during practice :( ) . 

Mr. Cooper was one of the founders of our sport. I would have quoted him had I took the time to look it up.

Hundreds, possibly thousands, of us have pinned safeties with no ill effects.  

24 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Mr. Cooper was one of the founders of our sport. I would have quoted him had I took the time to look it up.

Hundreds, possibly thousands, of us have pinned safeties with no ill effects.  

No debate here, as you noted a lot of folks have pinned safeties.

My only real point is that, if it was me, I would want to know that when /if I dropped my particular gun from a reasonable height the mass-velocity of the trigger assembly on impact was not enough to overcome the resistance to motion of the sear/spring. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

No debate here, as you noted a lot of folks have pinned safeties.

My only real point is that, if it was me, I would want to know that when /if I dropped my particular gun from a reasonable height the mass-velocity of the trigger assembly on impact was not enough to overcome the resistance to motion of the sear/spring. 

Absolutely. 

• 2 months later...

My wife and father in law have this same issue. I have no problem shooting thumb high but I have meatier hands then both of them. Looking at it I think either a larger bump on the grip safety or/also thinner grip panels should help with the issue.

A bump on the grip safety is a help.  I know two people who found the regular Beavertail Bump too low and had their bumps built up.  One by welding and filing, the other with a piece of hard rubber cemented on. 

The grip safety can be "sensitized" to disengage with less movement. 

In my OPINION, the source of this problem is an Unintended Consequence of the modern fad for the high hand hole grip, first seen with the Ed Brown beavertail which rides high and requires the frame to be swamped out  for contour.  It puts your hand a bit higher on the gun, giving it more leverage as it presses up on the beavertail. 

No point channeling Cooper or Browning.  I don't think Cooper used the "ducktail" and Mr Browning seemed to be a Condition 3 type of guy. 

The beaver tail on my guns are buried in the web if my hand, while the bottom of my hand still sticks down well below the magwell. "Fads" have nothing to do with the size of one's hands.